1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV Cinema and Nomad Services

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by chrisjmccord, Jan 30, 2013.

1. chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord Legend

Jan 17, 2013
    Oklahoma...
    I have requested these services to be thrown in as part of my new customer install and they agreed, questions I'm having though is about required hardware.

Do I have to have a box of some kind for both or just one service? If not which one would I not need and why?

My TV, where the Genie will be installed will have direct hard wired ethernet connection to a switch that is connected to my router/modem feeding it the internet. So do I need a box for the Cinema in this case? What about the Nomad?

Thanks.

2. shedberg

shedberg Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    I believe you will need a Cinema connection for the Nomad functionality as it needs to see your receiver. Also, Nomad is a box that will require a connection to your network as well. Enjoy the Nomad! I am heading off for a trip later today and am planning on catching up on a few shows.

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You don't need the CCK with the Genie if you hardwire it to your network.

4. shedberg

shedberg Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    True. Meant to post you need a network connection so the Nomad can see your receiver.

5. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Techs don't do Nomad. You order that off the web site and install it yourself.

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    And to add on, the Nomad device is a separate piece of hardware that you need to get. If you can get the CSR to add that into your install order for free, you're ahead of the game. The normal price for the Nomad is $150.

- Merg

7. chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord Legend

Jan 17, 2013
    Oklahoma...
    He said he could, as I was a preferred customer, but yet I don't see it on the bill, I'm going to call later to wrap all this stuff up. Thanks for the info everyone. Sounds like I just need the Nomad box and the Genie and Nomad will connect directly to my network switch back there.

8. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Get all of the CSR's Promises in writing just to CYA in case you don't get it Directv can say "We Never Promised you a Nomad.".

If you have it in writing then you can say "Yes, you did and here is Proof.". :)

9. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Directv Cinema and Nomad "services" are on every customers account that gets an HDDVR. If you have active landbased internet service then the Tech will install the Cinema Connection Kit. We dont have anything to do with Nomad. I doubt that you can even get the device till your account is active. Getting it for free would likely be a PITA.

10. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    if you connect The Genie with a Broadband DECA you can connect the Nomad to the HR34's ethernet port. The point is that you can connect both devices with the single ethernet cable if you use the DECA BB, otherwise you can connect the Nomad directly to your router or get a switch near the HR34

11. chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord Legend

Jan 17, 2013
    Oklahoma...
    I have a swtich near the the HR34 (or where its going to be), its feeding my TV, AppleTV, XBOS, BluRay and everything else over there, the internet. Its an 8 port switch, which is connected to my cable modem via an ethernet cable ran inside the wall to the office where the modem is.

12. FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver All Star/Supporter

Dec 3, 2002
    On the road...
    There's no advantage to locating the Nomad near the receiver or TV, so if you are at all space limited there you might want to think about locating it near your router or somewhere else you have a switch with an empty ethernet port. Mine is connected to the same switch as my NAS.

13. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Did they expand on that? Sounds like a compliment with no meaning to make sure you weren't cancelling your order. I've never heard of any new customers getting a Nomad for free for signing up.

14. chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord Legend

Jan 17, 2013
    Oklahoma...
    I have two 8 port switches. One in the office near the cable modem and router, and then another out behind the entertainment center where the TV, Apple TV, BluRay, XBox and soon to be HR34. So either spot doesn't matter, I have plenty of ports to plug into.

15. chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord Legend

Jan 17, 2013
    Oklahoma...
    "Preferred Customer" meaning after the credit check, I was good and qualified for all the discounts etc...thats how he explained it to me.