1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV.com local channel lookup asks for county...prep for SV chans?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by gor88, Aug 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 8, 2005 #1 of 24
    gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    I noticed this morning that the DirecTV local channel lookup page will ask for your county in addition to the zip code. This will occur if the zip code potentially spans two or more counties. If your zip code is known not to cross counties, you may not see this. To see the multi-county selection in action, enter zip code 39208.

Since SV stations are determined by county, it appears this upgrade was made in preparation for addition of SV channels for some counties.

My mother lives in Yalobusha Co., MS, and qualifies for Tupelo-Columbus-West Point, MS stations now. At this time, they are not showing the SV stations she will be qualified for (CBS, NBC and FOX Memphis, TN -- maybe they'll add ABC and UPN). Since the Memphis station are on the same Transponder as some of the Tupelo locals, there should be no problem in receiving these channels once offered.

Also, I live near Jackson, MS. The locals page shows both our new FOX station, which went on air four months after first receiving locals and the old mapping for the FOXnet nationwide feed formerly mapped to channel 48. We don't receive 48, though.

Hopefully, DirecTV will activate SV channels soon.

2. Aug 8, 2005 #2 of 24
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Pardon my ignorance, but what are SV channels?

3. Aug 8, 2005 #3 of 24
    moonman

moonman Icon

Oct 27, 2004
  4. Aug 8, 2005 #4 of 24
    wittlesvaseel

wittlesvaseel Mentor

Jul 5, 2005
    If you live in an area where you can get the channels from two different markets, you will be able to vie all of them.

5. Aug 8, 2005 #5 of 24
    gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    Significantly viewed channels are local channels outside of a person's Nielsen TV market, but in neighboring markets, that hold at least 3% of overall total viewing in the county in question. For example, my mother gets Tupelo-Columbus, MS locals, but would be eligible for significantly viewed stations WREG, WMC, and WHBQ from Memphis since she lives in Yalobusha Co, MS.

BTW moonman, thanks for the link to the SV page on the DirecTV site. :) :hurah:

6. Aug 8, 2005 #6 of 24
    gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    Check zip 39645 to see an example of how significantly viewed works. It is the zip for Liberty, MS in the Baton Rouge market. They now receive CBS, NBC and PBS from Jackson.

7. Aug 8, 2005 #7 of 24
    Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    My guess is two-fold:

DirecTV has finally updated the zip code list to show the zip codes that span more than one county. After all, if you type in a NY or LA zip code, it shows you what HD feeds are available to you, and this is new.

Also, once significantly-viewed comes into play, which it should within the next month or so, people in a split-county zip code wouldn't be happy to know that they'd be listed in an incorrect zip code. DirecTV is fixing the minor errors one at a time.

8. Aug 9, 2005 #8 of 24
    gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    Yes, both of these explanations make sense. Right now, it seems that the only counties with SV Channels are Amite and Wilkinson counties in SW Miss. I was surprised that MS counties get them before the northern NH folks in the Portland, ME market get WMUR/Manchester, NH added. Granted these two Miss. counites were all but specified by name in the terms of the SHVERA.

The really interesting thing is that our flagship Miss. PBS station is also shown as a neighboring local channel there. Apparently, DirecTV has decided to use significantly viewed logic to add the instate PBS to counties whose markets originate in a neighboring state. Maybe the residents in north Mississippi who are in the Memphis market will get a Miss. PBS shortly too.

It's just good to finally see the results of progress on this. My mother will be thrilled to get some Memphis locals again. :)

9. Aug 9, 2005 #9 of 24
    hancox

hancox Godfather

Jun 23, 2004
    I think "next month or so" would be a stock I would short. BIG TIME. :)

Man, I can't wait for this though. Fairfield County, CT is just as bad, if not worse.

10. steve594

steve594 Cool Member

Jul 25, 2002
    According to the way I read it it says you will get SV stations automatic
    if you receive local channels. That would appear to be without extra cost.
    That seems too good to be true but who knows? I as well look forward to getting
    some Memphis locals in Iuka, Ms hopefully.

11. Marvin

Marvin Godfather

Sep 13, 2003
    Man, it stinks that you have to sub to locals to get SVC. Mainly because D* still doesn't offer my locals, but also because I dont feel like paying for 2 channels that I can already get OTA crystal clear for free just to get a couple channels from Baltimore.

12. gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    You can thank the National Assoc. of Broadcasters for that provision. :mad:

13. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    "You can thank the National Assoc. of Broadcasters for that provision."

How is THAT the NAB's fault? If it's a "Significantly Viewed" channel, it means that a lot of people are getting it over the air in your market. So, if you get other stations in the market "crystal clear for free", why aren't you getting the SV stations OTA as well?

None of these laws can restrict you from receiving channels. They are there to prevent someone else from SELLING you certain channels.

You can put up a 500 foot tower in your yard (as long as the FAA and the building inspectors don't stop you).....the stations can't do anything. But, when the sat companies try to sell you a service they are not legally entitled to sell to you, the law comes into effect.

14. Tim Lones

Tim Lones Mentor

Jul 15, 2004
    Interesting list at the FCC..The only extra station I'd get in Stark County Ohio is WOAC 67..big yawn,,I did notice a big error..They list WQHS Channel 61 Cleveland as WKBF-TV.Hasnt been WKBF in 30 years..

15. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Did you politely send them a correction then?

16. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    I believe channel 68 (forget the call letters now.. I call it the independent informercial channel) is another SV channel. That one got added a few weeks ago.

17. gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    Ok, let me clarify my comment further.

I don't understand why the NAB would prohibit those without locals available, especially in a small market, from getting SV stations of a network NOT available in their DMA. For example, the Greenwood-Greenville, MS market only has CBS, ABC, and PBS. Almost the entire DMA qualfies for NBC and FOX distants. In such cases, why couldn't they get the NBC and FOX stations cable subs get from Memphis, Jackson, MS, or Tupelo, MS instead. Most people in the DMA would probably prefer this, since they could see stations which have news and sports games closer to home. This would not negatively affect any existing network affiliate.

Nonetheless, the NAB wouldn't even allow this. If they did, it would be a little easier for many of the residents to get good rabbit ears for their in-market stations and easily receive the missing affiliates from neighboring DMAs.

Mind you, I think that any fee in this case should be low and intended more to enhance the options of the satellite user(making satellite more attractive) than for extra profit of the satellite companies.

18. Tim Lones

Tim Lones Mentor

Jul 15, 2004

No because You would think a Government agency (FCC) should be able to get things right..especially not repeating a mistake from 30 years ago..That being said I am not that upset with it..just pointing it out

19. crkeehn

crkeehn Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Is there any kind of timetable in which the activation of SV would be implemented? I am eager as I would be elegible for DC as well as the currently received Baltimore Stations.

I would sure love to get the Redskins games over DTV.

20. Tower Guy

Tower Guy Godfather

Jul 27, 2005
    It's pretty easy. Send your browser to:
    gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/upload_v2.cgi
    The proceeding number is 05-49. Officially the time period for comments is over, but a late correction should be dealt with by the Commission.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.