1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DirecTV.com Online Account Management in Mozilla

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by matty8199, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    Has anyone else had issues where the online account management (notably the view statement page within the popup window) when viewed with Mozilla is formatted rather poorly and doesn't show the nice spacing and fonts that are shown if you look at the page through IE?

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    SO just use IE for that site and the few others that just dont play well with Firefox...its not really rocket science

3. Malibu13

Malibu13 Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Sep 12, 2004
    N.E North...
    matty, i use both IE7 & Firefox. With Firefox, it is formatted strangely as you've stated. IE7 looks normal. :)

4. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    IE sucks...I'd rather not.

5. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    So get IE Tab, then. You can even configure it so particular sites always come up rendered in IE.

BTW, for all the "IE sucks" sentiment I've heard, I've never heard anyone say they had to use something else because IE was screwing up rendering.

6. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    Wow, that works great! Thanks, I didn't even know that was out there...

7. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Don't do much web development do you? IE screws up many things it shouldn't. Many times because MS didn't follow the rules, other times because the rules where vauge. No biggie either way though. I use FireFox for 99% of my browsing and then IE Tab or IE7 for anything else that doesn't work right.

8. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Actually I've been there since the beginning (anyone remember Mosaic?) I don't do any of that stuff for work anymore, but still do a bit in my spare time (I run a webserver to share pictures/videos with friends and family I wrote from scratch for kicks).

I wasn't saying IE was right (far from it). I was saying people don't generally have to switch to something other than IE to get a particular site working. That's because the site doesn't go live until it works in IE (even if it means satisfying IE quirks). The developers may or may not do a sniff test on alternative browsers.

I will say that Firefox helped me find a few minor bugs in my webserver, and for that I'm grateful, but I'm happier with IE for rendering it correctly in the first place.

9. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    You mean the groundbreaking Web Browser, developed by NCSA at the University of Illinois - Champaign-Urbana around 1993?

The one that was the foundation for IE v1,v2 and was still given it's "props" in the IE About->Help till version 7 ?

Nah.. never heard of it..

(I actually had some co-works in College that worked on the project.... )

10. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    So you know Al Gore :D. j/k

11. Clint Lamor

Nov 15, 2005
    I don't use IE for many reasons which I wont get into. :)

I test every site I do in IE and FireFox and spend many hours writing code to determine if it's IE or FF and then display it a certain way for one or the other. I wish they would all just agree. Would make my life better. :)

12. jonaswan2

jonaswan2 Icon

Oct 29, 2005
    What about Opera? Huh, huh, huh?

13. sheridan1952

sheridan1952 Godfather

Mar 15, 2006
    The fat lady sang already.

14. Clint Lamor

Nov 15, 2005
    Opera is well Opera. Outside of that for the most part Opera just tells a website it's IE6 and deals with the IE formatting rules.

15. kc1ih

kc1ih Legend

May 22, 2004
    Salem, NH
    IE is no longer available for Macintosh.

16. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    FWIW, I checked it out, and for some reason Firefox doesn't apply the stylesheet, but only when viewing it "live". If I save all the required files to my filesystem and open it from there, it looks just like IE (i.e. correct).

17. saleen351

saleen351 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    IE Tab or View in IE (opens the page in a full IE window) works greats. Cnn video is another side I use IE tab because the idiots at cnn, can't program their site correctly.

BTW, FF is standards compliant, unlike IE, so it's not a fault of FF it's DTV site...

18. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm not so sure. In this particular case I think Firefox might be wrong. As I said earlier, for no apparent reason at all, Firefox fails to apply the stylesheet. I think it might be because it's https (like it's trying to get it from the cache, but correctly doesn't cache https documents). There doesn't appear to be anything at all wrong with the HTML, which works just fine when loaded as local files.

Regardless, blind adherence to standards just so you can say you're right and they're wrong isn't the way to go in this case. Since quite a bit is still handwritten, you're not going to stop people making errors in their HTML, so it's really better to be flexible. Or they could at least have a "pedantic" switch we could turn off.

19. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Ah, there it is in the JavaScript (?) console.

Like I said: pedantic. The correct type is specified in the link tag, but the server is reporting the wrong type. You know what: who cares? It's a stylesheet. Just load it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascading_Style_Sheets#Internet_media_type_text.2Fcss

20. cybok0

cybok0 Godfather

Jan 5, 2006
    DTV web site looks the same in FF as IE to me, I always use FF and dont have any problems.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.