1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv Conundrum...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by StuBerger, Jul 19, 2010.

1. StuBerger

StuBerger Mentor

Jul 17, 2010
    Hello all, first time member and poster here...I am usually in AVSForums and a member there suggested I come here and ask...so here it goes!

I have a HR23-700 receiver and it is hooked up via HDMI (only hookup I prefer) to my Pioneer VSX92TXH A/V Receiver and then going to a Sony KDL-55EX500.

Ever since the last auto update that D* does (I am pretty sure just after) I started to notice a sound that happens infrequently but is starting to drive me boinkers. The sound lasts for a brief second and sounds like the sound a dirty knob will make on a audio component when you turn it...like a dusty knob..if I may say. It isn't as loud to worry about speakers but just annoying.

I haven't noticed it on the other components but I only watch mostly bluray and an occasional music score since this is basically for HT.

I am a little worried it is the Pioneer but I will try to find the time to listen to a few more movies and see if it happens on other components as well. I am hoping it isn't the case and it's D*...hate to have to unhook everything and send the Pioneer in to be serviced, and with the problem being very infrequent it would take some time I am sure before techs found the problem...

Thanks for the look see!

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Step one would be to go straight to the TV with the HDMI, thus removing the receiver from the loop. Play the same recording that did it and see.
    "I think" I've heard this too, but it wasn't widespread and so believe it was related to the feed to DirecTV more than anything on my end.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I have to agree. I know the sound you're talking about. My gut feeling is it's related to HDMI integration with your AV receiver. After you've tried it with just the TV let us know if there's a difference.

4. StuBerger

StuBerger Mentor

Jul 17, 2010
    Yes, I will have to see if my other components do it as well and then hook up the HR23 directly to the TV.

I do know when it happens while watching a show on D* and I hear it, if I rewind and replay the scene the sound in question doesn't re-appear.

I also know that my Pioneer receiver has an older HDMI firmware but hate the idea of having to unhook all and pack it up....

I am using Monster brand (I know, they are over priced and overboard) HDMI cables, I tried another brand and same thing!

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It's not necessarily the fault of your receiver... HDMI has been a sore spot in the past for DIRECTV receivers... although steady improvements have been made, problems still arise.

6. StuBerger

StuBerger Mentor

Jul 17, 2010
    Well, it seems the sound in question is happening when watching blurays too so I can weed out D* being the culprit...now it's off to unhooking and sending the Pioneer in, arghhhhh!

7. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Don't be surprised if (1) a software upgrade solves the problem or (2) your Pioneer is returned from the service center No Problem Found. HDMI is a funky, always-moving-target standard and there are those of us who will celebrate when it goes away.

If you can update the software in your Blu-ray player, I'd do that, too.