1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV curse?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Mike Greer, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Am I just cursed? After spending $600 to be rid of 3 horriblely painful to use HR22s it seems to be starting all over again!

Last night while watching the Chargers self destruct my HR24-500 was acting like my old HR22 years ago. I was watching about 20 minutes behind live and as I would start fast forwarding through a commercials sometimes it was slow to start the fast forward… It would also have a 5 – 45 second delay before I could stop the fast forward. Basically made it so I couldn’t FFD without losing control and going way past where I wanted to be.

This morning on a different HR24-500 the same thing happened a couple of times and then the remotes (I have two remotes for this DVR) completely stopped working. I tried to skip a commercial and nothing happened. I tried to STOP, EXIT, GUIDE and nothing worked on either remote. I just left the programming playing about 10 minutes later (that’s right 10 minutes!) a bunch of the remote keys I pushed finally showed up. The recording went fast forward a bit, then back, then the guide came up, guide went away and the playback stopped and was left in live TV. The DVR was then back to normal – no reboot needed – just started working again.

Why does this happen? Could Direct please hire some engineers please!

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Sounds like you are getting IR interference from the TV.
    Try putting a piece of Blue Painters Tape over the IR sensor of the receiver.
    If you do not have that, put a piece of scotch tape over it and color it dark using a charpy or Marks A lot to color it.
    OR
    If your remotes are capable of RF switch to RF mode and it should fix it.
    Your remote should have an R after the number, Like RC65R, etc.

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    If it was IR interference there wouldn't be a delay where all the commands finally took.

4. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Thanks - sorry I should have been specific.... The remote downstairs last night is IR. The other two remotes upstairs are RF and both DVRs at least started out with the same troubles.

Also - The receiver upstairs this morning obviously received the commands from the RF remotes because 10 minutes later it executed them.

I don't think the trouble is with the remotes themselves but rather that the DVR is doing something else rather than executing the remote button pushes.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Thanks Sigma

Mike, you mentioned that a reset was not needed. Do you reset them every once in awhile ?
    I reset mine at least once a month.

6. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Yep - not interferance in this case...

I don't reset them on a regular basis. The upstairs HR24 I've had to reset a 3 or 4 times over the last few months because it starts to go nuts after a 2-3 weeks.

Boy, I wish I could go back to the old non-HD GUI. The HR24s worked much better then!

7. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Not doubting your issues, but my HR24-500s havn't performed differently since the HD GUI was launched.

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I know I am grabbing at straws here but sometimes a straw is just what is needed. LOL

On the receiver that is using the RF remote, try putting a piece of electrical tape over the IR sensor.

How full is the Hard Drive on the receivers ? I have read of many small problems that seem to be related to the drive being too full.

Do you have the Scrolling Feature turned OFF in Display ?

9. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I wonder if there is a way to be saved from the curse that seems to have been put on me years ago?

10. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Awhile back I had "curse" issues with a HR22-100 (response issues, freeze ups). Nothing worked to correct the issues. DirecTV replaced it with another HR22-100. It worked fine for about a month, then experienced the same issues I had with the original. They replaced it with a HR24-500. It and the second one I have are virtually issue free.

11. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I can give the tape a try on that receiver but I'm not sure why that would help? The missed remote commands did eventually show up. The downstairs DVR is in a dark room with an LCD projector - the upstairs DVR is connected to an LCD TV but the receiver is in a recessed cupboard.

The hard drive on the downstairs DVR from last night is nearly empty - rarely do I record anything there. The upstairs one that gave me trouble this morning has much less space - 26% free.

Scrolling Effects are off on all three of my receivers.

The strange part about all this is that I can go for a week or two without any trouble and then out of the blue weird stuff like this happens. Not to the degree of last night or this morning.

I did have a problem with the upstairs DVR about 2 weeks ago and I restarted it twice to clear the guide cache and it worked ok until this morning….

12. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Happened again last night. I was scrolling through the playlist and it just stopped responding. The live program in the window kept playing as normal but even the clock in the top right stopped. I tried the buttons on the front of the DVR and those didn’t respond either (including the power). I just let it sit for a few and it returned to normal operation… The clock on the screen jumped from 9:55 to 10:03 as it recovered.

There were two recordings going that finished normally without loss of any audio or video.

I guess the trouble is a more than just remote response…

13. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Instead of Scrolling thru the Playlist, have you tried using the channel up or down to jump a page at a time ? This cuts way down on the remote traffic signals.
    I do that all the time in the Playlist and the Guide.

14. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Yep - that's how I normally move up and down the list... But this isn't a problem of remote interference, battery problems etc…. The receiver just stops – including the clock – and then continues on. It is still receiving the remote commands and executes them 5 – 10 minutes later when the receiver comes back to life.

I’d just say I have a defective receiver but how could have two that have failed in the same way in about the same time period?

15. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I've not seen a lag nearly as long as yours. I have 2 HR24s that I interact with on a regular basis and ignoring the remote isn't something new for me. But in general, it is just for a few irritatingly long seconds.

16. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    How did you have 2 channels recording and a Live show on at the same time ?
    If I have 2 channels recording I can watch a pre recorded show but not another Live show.

Thanks

Also, have you tried clearing the NVRAM ?

17. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Yep - Me too - until now. You'd think it would be a hardware problem but how does it happen on two receivers? So far my 3rd HR24-500 is working fine.

18. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    The 'live' channel in the display was being recorded along with another channel.

Haven't tried the NVRAM trick recently but in the past it hasn't appeared to make any difference.

19. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You might also try this on a ( one ) machine that you do not have very many Series set up to record.
    Menu, Settings, Reset, Reset Defaults.
    This would require that you reset all of the custom settings like FAVs, Series, etc.
    It helps if you take pictures of the screens for the Series so you can rebuild them just like they were.

20. bobcamp1

bobcamp1 Icon

Nov 8, 2007
    My HR24-200 started doing exactly this right after the HD GUI came out. None of the usual suggestions worked. Instead of paying $200 for a new DVR, I paid a $150 ETF. Haven't had any problems like that since. :)

It's too bad because that DVR was great until the HD GUI release. But after that release it sometimes couldn't do two of the most fundamental features of a DVR: trick play and changing channels. I thought it was my DVR, but others in this forum (and some of my friends) were having the same problem, and I thought "oh no, not again!"

I liked D* service (was with them for 15 years), but I just couldn't take that on again/off again DVR anymore.