1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV Customer Service Is The Worst

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rzrnut, Jun 14, 2010.

1. rzrnut

rzrnut Cool Member

Jun 14, 2010
    First time poster here, (found it in google) not sure if anyone can help but there seems to be a lot smart people on this board from what I have read.

WOW - What happened to DirecTV?

We have been DirecTV customers for over 8 years. Through the years they have been a good provider. We have had occasional issues but they were always willing to work it out, until now.

Currently DirecTV has THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I have seen in a long time.

We have 5 HD DVR's throughout the house. My wife saw a promotion for their "whole home DVR" service and wanted me to get it done.

I called last Monday and they scheduled it for the next day (Tue.) 8-12. Well nobody showed up. I called at 4PM and they said they would have an installer call back. We got a call at 5:30 from a directtech company and they said they would be out the following morning (Wed.)

Wednesday afternoon (no show, no call) I called DirecTV again. This time they said they would issue a complaint and have the installer call us back. We get a call at 6:30 stating that the tech did not have what he needed to do the job so they rescheduled for Fri. 8-12.

Friday afternoon (no call, no show) I call DirecTV AGAIN and was told the order and I quote "was cancelled in error". No explaination who canceled or why.

So I had to reorder the whole thing and reschedule all over again. This time they were supposed to be here today (Mon. 8-12) I just got a call (late) that the tech "can't make it" and they want to "try" again tomorrow morning.

4 Missed days of work. Blown off 4 days in a row. I could have had a complete install by a competitor by now.

I feel like I am stuck on groundhog day. All the customer service people do is lie and hide and pass the buck. I spoke with a supervisor that actually told me that DirecTV had NO way to contact the installers?

Is there any way to communicate with this company other than the phone to bottom end people? I tried to send in their web form last week and expected a reply "within 24 hrs." as stated, but nobody ever contacted us.

2. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    First off :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

You are not the first to report this problem. Right now there is new technology in place, and installers are scrambling. I am not making up excuses for DirecTV. I don't work for them... and I can only imagine some of the hell they are going through with these new installs.

What I would do is call them, and when the prompt comes up say 'cancel service'. This will get you to their retention department. For a tip: try and contain your distress around this. Think about what you want to say before you say it as the person on the line is just a worker too.

The retention department is there to keep you as a customer, and they should be able to help you out.

3. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    That sucks. I realize that DIRECTV subs out their installs, but they still need to stand behind them.

4. rzrnut

rzrnut Cool Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Is there any other way to communicate with them?

I am not one to make idle threats and aside from their horrible customer service, I am not quite ready to cancel service (maybe if they blow off the 5th appointment tomorrow). I just really really hate being lied to.

5. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Email ellen.filipiak@directv.com in the president's office. Things happen when she gets an email.

Be as you have been here - not pulling your punches but also reasonable and not swearing all over the place - and you should get a favorable response.

Good luck. What you've gone through sucks.

And welcome to the forum. :)

6. INfield420

INfield420 AllStar

Mar 10, 2009
    The retention department cant get an installer there any faster than any other csr.

7. rzrnut

rzrnut Cool Member

Jun 14, 2010
    THANK YOU very much.

I have sent out an email. Hopefully something can be done and I can stay a loyal customer.

At this point if my neighbor asked what I thought of the company I would have to tell him the picture is great, but the company is going downhill fast. Hopefully this can be resolved.

8. rzrnut

rzrnut Cool Member

Jun 14, 2010
    So far NOBODY has been here, so I suppose they couldnt be any slower either?

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Ellen Filipiak is the VP of Customer Service. Her office has usually been very responsive to customers when she has been advised of their issue. Give it a day or two for them to get back to you and hopefully you'll start to have a different view of their customer service.

- Merg

10. dcandmc

dcandmc Legend

Sep 24, 2008
    Perhaps not, but my experience with retention CSRs is that they are more knowledgeable, helpful, truthful and accommodating than the regular CSR. If I were the OP, I wouldn't talk to anyone else at this point.

rzrnut, saying "cancel service" at the voice prompt is just a way to trick the system into getting you directly to the retention department. You used to be able to dial them direct, but that number is a secret now.

11. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I agree and would also have to say that E* is no better. Their reps still think they offer the WB and UPN stations. How long have those been gone?

12. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    Sad story. I have a few of my own. While I continue to subscribe to DirecTV, I absolutely refuse to recommend them anymore. I will actually now steer less technically competent people away from them.

13. Rusty_Clown

Rusty_Clown Cool Member

Apr 8, 2010
    D* customer service may have it's glitches, but in their defense, they usually get it right, and most of the installers (with one exception) have done right by me and showed up when they were supposed to. If you want to see bad, try Comcast, and for really bad, Verizon.

14. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    They nearly always get it right in the end. That's not the point. Getting to the end takes far and away to much time and effort on the customers part.

I'll agree, Comcast is equally bad, and with a terrible PQ to take it over the edge.

15. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I'm quite sure everyone has a bad CSR story that can be related here, be it a phone company, car company, TV company or internet company.

I am curious to see how the OP's problem gets fixed.

Its a sad day when someone misses one day of work in this economy, let alone several.

Best of luck rzrnut, and again welcome to the most helpful satellite TV resource on the internet. I too found DSBTalk some years ago while looking for a solution to a similar problem.

16. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    In my experience, you have to divide CSRs into two categories. Technical support and other (billing, programming, etc.). In my eperience, all contact with the other category has been outstanding, with quick, clear, accurate responses and all issues resolved with one call. On the tech support side, the CSRs have (in my experience) all been completely incompetent. They have incorrect information, lie freely, and are just happy to get you off the line. Whenever I have a technical issue, I don't even bother calling them anymore, I just come here. If I have an "other" issue, I have no problem calling them.

17. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    And I thought I had fun with their "Movers Connection" last year. Don't give up. I've been with them since 1995. They may have their moments but are still the best satellite provider.

18. jasonc213

jasonc213 AllStar

Mar 4, 2010
    I work in retention at DirecTV, but let me say this post is just me personally speaking, not on behalf of DTV. Sorry to hear about all the problems and inconvenience your having, but it sounds like its an issue with the Home Service Provider, instead of with DirecTV customer service. You are right--phone agents no longer have any way of contacting the HSP directly. However both parties have the ability to leave notes for each other in real time, and if DTV puts in a request for the HSP to call you, they are required by their contract to call you within 20 minutes. Also, DTV has the ability to see to the minute when a work order was cancelled and the reason. (Assuming that the person who cancelled it documented it with notes correctly.)

Personally when I had my Whole Home DVR installation, the HSP told me that they were waiting for a tech to get the equipment from a town about 2.5 hours away from me and ended up being about 5 hours late that day. So I know what your going through and how frustrating it is, especially taking time off work.

Even though it may not be able to get your installation sooner, you could call and ask someone else to check the notes on the work order for some more info as to why. Hope everything gets fixed for you soon.

19. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    I actually had a very good experience with a tech serv CSR yesterday.
    My old SD TiVo showed a black screen when I turned it on. Unplugging and powering back up showed the grey "Unit is now powering up..." screen, but never got past. I figured the HD finally dies after 7 years of continuous use. So I called tech support, explained the problem, and a new DVR is on the way for $19.95 shipping. The CSR also added HD pack back in for three months. This on top of the $10 monthly savings I recently negotiated has me quite happy with D* right now.

YMMV.

20. johns70

johns70 Legend

May 2, 2010
    I missed the part where DIRECTV supposedly lied to you.

Sounds more like the local installer dropped the ball.