1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DirecTV customer, want to stream DirecTV signal from house to garage wirelessly.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ccualumni, Sep 22, 2013.

1. ccualumni

ccualumni Cool Member

Jan 26, 2009
    I usually spend most of my weekend day outside with my son playing with his friends. I would like to put a TV in the garage, but there are no wires nor cable outlets that i can use.

Is there a way to send my DirecTV signal to a TV wirelessly or use some kind of box to go from an inside box to the TV in the garage?

It does not matter if I have to put another TV on the same channel or anything liek that.

I have an extra box in a room we rarely use, so I can move the box from that room, but I still do not how we will get the signal from inside the house to the garage.

Basically, I want to watch TV in the garage and somehow need to get the DirecTV signal from the house to the garage.

Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  2. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    The HR44 Genie can be run wirelessly. But no other receivers yet.

We took an old sat dish from before we upgraded to a SWiM and put it on the outside of the shop. Added an old receiver that was no longer in use, ran sat-setup and voila! Hubby has DTV in his shop.

3. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Get a genie and and a wireless genie client. Assuming they aren't to far away from each other. A second dish on the garage is the other option.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    There is a wireless C41 from a Genie 44. . . but it sounds like you might need another dish on the garage like SupraMom mentions.

5. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I didn't think the wireless 41 was available yet?

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    To the Internet that is. the C41w can be used with any of the two Genies

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    only being tested on some markets

8. lesz

lesz Legend

Aug 3, 2010
    I've been using one of these for a couple of years.

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Wireless-WiFi-Multi-Room-Video/dp/B005L9ZZ32

Performance is excellent. I have it sending the signal to a remote TV that is up one floor and on the other side of the house. The signal is still strong, and the I can't tell a difference in the quality of the picture from what I get with a DIRECTV box connected directly to a TV. On this board, several others have reported similar results with the product. If you shop around, you can buy one for somewhat less than what the price is in the link above. While you have some up front cost, you are not paying DIRECTV $6 a month for an extra box. The only disadvantage is that the channel being viewed on the remote TV has to be the same channel being viewed on the local TV, but, for a TV that is watched infrequently, it has been a good solution for me, and another nice bonus is that, in addition to using it to send the DIRECTV signal to a remote TV, I can also use it to send a BluRay or other HDMI signal to that remote TV.

9. ccualumni

ccualumni Cool Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Thanks everyone. I do have a DirecTV box that I can use as it can take it from one of the other TVs if it makes it any easier.

I appreciate the help.

10. ccualumni

ccualumni Cool Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Forgot to mention, the box that is attached to the house that all the wires come out of and run all throughout my house is right by my garage. Running wire may actually be pretty easy.

11. volkl

volkl Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    This is not the cheapest, but might work if you want these devices for their other uses. This only works for recorded content.

GenieGo, wireless router, ipad or iphone, apple tv box. Airstream the ipad or iphone running the GenieGo app to the apple tv.

It works pretty darn well.

from the ios device to the apple tv.