1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DIRECTV customers authenticated now on Showtime Anytime

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Satelliteracer, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Dec 4, 2012 #1 of 27
    Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Effective now. Directv joins U-Verse and Fios to allow customers to authenticate with Showtime Anytime.

Download the app for your mobile devices or access via your computer at http://www.showtimeanytime.com/#/home

2. Dec 4, 2012 #2 of 27
    coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    Thank you again Satelliteracer! :) ;)

3. Dec 4, 2012 #3 of 27
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Outstanding, thank you

4. Dec 4, 2012 #4 of 27
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Works for me.

5. Dec 4, 2012 #5 of 27
    SParker

SParker New Member

Apr 27, 2002
    Very cool, just downloaded the Showtime iPad app and it works.

6. Dec 4, 2012 #6 of 27
    jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    Works fine for me

7. Dec 4, 2012 #7 of 27
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Nice news! Thanks! Just installed the plugin grapevine or whatever it was called.......

8. Dec 5, 2012 #8 of 27
    litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Horrible reviews for the Showtime Anytime iPad App in the Apps Store. How is it working for folks here?

9. Dec 5, 2012 #9 of 27
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    It's working fine here. Half of them are from people who don't read before installing and are complaining that their provider isn't supported.

10. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather DBSTalk Club

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    As someone who spends a lot of time away from home, this is a much bigger deal for me than adding a new HD channel that I might watch once a month.

I'm very pleased with this.

11. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I've played a couple things on my Mac and have noticed that everything is SD. I checked the FAQs and my settings on their site, and there doesn't seem to be a way to change that. Are they not offering HD streams?

On my iPad and SD stream is fine because of the screen size, but on my iMac (27") SD is not all that good.

That said, I like that we've got it, but doubt I'll use it much.

12. John Strk

John Strk Legend

Oct 16, 2009
    Great news! Now if they could just make Showtime Anytime a Roku channel I would actually use it :)

13. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    Showtime On Demand on the HD/DVR now has the expanded library the same as Showtime Anytime. I checked each original series and they all match exactly the same episodes On Demand now as Showtime Anytime. Also, its much better picture quality then a Roku app would be. Just my opinion though...

14. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I wish the iPad Showtime Anytime app would remember the login info. It's a pain to enter it in each time...

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    The Devil you say!

:D

16. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Let the Dexter marathon begin! Thanks Satracer...looks like this should be front page news.

Any idea how much longer we wait for the On Demand UI update?

17. loudo

loudo DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    Showtime Anywhere doesn't work on Google TV, using the built in Chrome Browser. A screen pops up wanting me to download Flash Player, which is already installed. I get a message that it is already installed when I click on the install icon.

HBO and Cinemax both work fine on Google TV, using the same unit.

18. Mark Walters

Mark Walters Legend

Sep 21, 2009
    Not very impressive at all. You have to sign in every time you use it, what gives? With HBO GO this isn't required. The quality is lackluster and you can't access all the episodes of every show. Weeds only lets you watch episodes from season 8, same as D* Sho Demand. HBO GO has every episode of every show that is listed in their catalog. At least the shows they have include ALL episodes.

Next weakness, no Roku channel available, albeit D* wouldn't allow it anyway. But it must be said that Roku is a better option for streaming content off the internet because you can instantly watch what you want. Isn't that the whole point of internet streaming? I'm not on dial up anymore and neither are you. D* on demand is horrible, it's super slow and forget downloading an HD title and expect to watch it within an hour or two. I don't even bother with it anymore. I get 36.16Mbps down and 31.82MBps up. I would imagine these numbers are speeds above the mean for all D* subs. Don't bother upgrading your speeds if you thing it will make a difference - it won't. The current platform D* offers is feckless.

And to those who make an argument for D*'s PQ over Roku: Sure it's better, but the point of an on demand service must be efficiency. I'll give up a little quality here and there for instant access. And let's be honest, the quality isn't terrible. BTW, HBO GO on the Roku has HD content that looks great and streams instantly. D* offers the same content, but it takes forever to download. Unfortunately, most D* subs would never know how much better the Roku is with HBO GO because D* prohibits you to have access. Expect the same when Showtime launches their official Roku channel. Once again, everything is ass-backwards.

19. loudo

loudo DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    Just tried it on my XBox 360, using Internet Explorer and it gives me the same message to download Flash. But I know you can't download Flash in IE on an XBox 360.

20. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I watch HD download content on directv within minutes. I don't need roku for HBO2go.