1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Directv Digital OTA Reciever

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by gomezma1, Jul 10, 2010.

1. gomezma1

gomezma1 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    Can anyone tell me what model Directv receivers are capable for digital reception for OTA? Thanks!

2. dave29

dave29 DIRECTV A-Team

Feb 18, 2007
    HR20 and H20 have built in OTA tuners.

HR21, 22, 23, 24, H21, 23, 24, and R22 with the AM21 add-on OTA tuner.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    But note: all of these receivers require a sat signal and an active sat subscription in order for the OTA portion to work.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    FTA != OTA

Usually FTA acronym using for free channels from satellites, while OTA - for aerial channels.

5. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    Some of the older Directv HD receivers like the Hughes HIRD-E86 can receive digital OTA signals without a satellite connection. Every HD receiver since the H10 requires the satellite connection for OTA (if it has an OTA tuner).

:)

6. whitepelican

whitepelican Godfather

May 9, 2007
    I don't believe that's true for the H10. It's definitely not the case for the HR10-250, which can tune OTA without a satellite connection. The HR10-250 just doesn't receive any guide data without the satellite connection.

7. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    It's definitely true that the H10 does not get OTA w/o an active sat connection. That's the reason my old H10 is buried in the closet!

:)

8. The_Law

The_Law New Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I have an H10

So, I have this stuff after discontinuing cableTV, satTV, etc....and was wondering if I can use this to start learning about and playing with FTA satellite feeds.

I had DirecTV for a couple of years. I got laid...off...and they left the dish on the house. Additionally, I just cleaned out my basement and found an older DirecTV HD Receiver H10.

The dish they left is a Slimline Model AU9 with Ka/Ku LNBs.

Can I somehow use this stuff to beginning pointing at different satellites?

ps...never done this before, but...it's looks interesting.

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Sorry, DIRECTV equipment will only work with their own satellite feeds.

10. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Can we get a moderator to fix the title of this thread?
    The Hughes HTL-HD receiver can also receive OTA without an active DirecTV connection.

Edit: It looks like a moderator updated the title. :)