1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Directv dish made of ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by onan38, Sep 23, 2008.

1. onan38

onan38 Legend

Jul 17, 2008
    Hi everyone, What are Directv's dishes,Lmb arm and base made of ? The reason i need to know is i am doing fall cleaning and want to take my 2 old dishes to the recycling center. Will they even take them ?

2. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    aluminum...
    yes

3. Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I think they're steel..

4. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Stamped steel, not hardly worth the effort, if you have weekly Recycle pick up, put it out your cans, bottles and plastics.

5. ejjames

ejjames Icon

Oct 2, 2006
    FYI...my old 3lnb dish was plastic and snow stuck to it like glue. I never had a problem with my old steel sony dish, nor do I have snow problems with the new dish.

6. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    You can check it with a magnet if it sticks it is most likely steel, if it doesn't stick aluminum.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    unobtainium, or possibly adamantium. :lol:

Seriously I think they're aluminum.

8. seltech

seltech Legend

Feb 5, 2008
    Dalekanium :lol:

where's my Doctor Who addicts?

.. considering the weight, I'd have to say the reflector is at least aluminum where the other parts might be steel or some other metal.

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The vast majority of the dishes are stamped steel with a powder-coat finish. The Phase II dish and the Andrew international dish were metal-impregnated fiber glass.

10. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    transparent aluminum?