1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Directv Dropping CNN International

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by oldcrooner, Dec 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldcrooner

oldcrooner Godfather

Feb 23, 2004
    I noticed Sunday evening they were running a crawler on CNNI stating that they would be dropping that channel and stating that the other two CNN channels would continue. I hope that have another good source of international news waiting in the wings to replace it. I'd like to see them carry BBC World or even Deutsche Welle's English service. I find most US news sources too superficial where international news is concerned. Anyone know how Murdoch's Sky B/C measures up?

2. chaddux

chaddux Banned User

Oct 10, 2004
    Are you sure it was CNN International and not CNN/FN? CNN/FN will cease all broadcasting on December 15.

3. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    From the crawl that ran at midnight...

4. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    DirecTV carries CNN/FN and CNN International on a shared basis and with CNN/FN going away, DirecTV may have to re-do a deal to carry CNN International on a full time basis and that is something they have decided against right now since CNN International is not all that popular.
    I know there are a few out there who watch it and I also have turned it on once in a great while but the majority do not turn it on enough to keep it..

The loss of Trio and CNN International/CNN-Fn won't break my heart any. Maybe DirecTV can get rid a couple shopping and church channels while at it..

5. deraz

deraz Daydreamer DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 25, 2004

How about TVGuide - does anyone actually watch that channel?

6. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    Nuts.

I was kind of hoping that CNNI would stay on with the demise of CNNfn.

So how long before D* gives us BBC World or SkyNews (or any number of other English language services not available on cable or anywhere else in the US for that matter)?

I won't hold my breath -- after all, it's far easier for them to upload yet another foreign language channel while losing English language programming (FSN Chicago; Trio; CNNI/fn)...

7. chaddux

chaddux Banned User

Oct 10, 2004
    That is a very annoying channel, especially on satellite. We have an EPG that allows you to see a certain time and channel whenever you want instead of having to wait while it scrolls through tons of channels only 90 minutes out. The little snippit stories are silly and the constant commercials make the channel a waste. DirecTV and DISH should drop it and put something useful in its place.

8. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I would prefer D* gave us the paint drying channel over TV Guide anyday. I have said from day 1 that TV Guide channel was a waste of bandwidth.

9. deraz

Sep 25, 2004
    We can do a little better than paint drying - how about a fish tank or fireplace?

10. chaddux

chaddux Banned User

Oct 10, 2004
    Maybe a split screen with both. :)

11. dhomoney

dhomoney Cool Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah what is the point since D* gives us a guide built in our receivers. It really is a joke. They could stand to lose the shopping channels as well. More wasted bandwidth. Drop those and add some HD content.

12. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah, who really wants The Anime Network, International Channel, Goodlife TV, or Classic Arts Showcase? What we really want is the Watch Grass Grow, Watch Snow Fall, or the ever popular Dumpster Cam.

I'm not kidding. A few years ago, one of the cable companies was actually broadcasting the security camera of the dumpster in the back. Lord knows why. Maybe they thought it would qualify as a public interest channel.

13. deraz

Sep 25, 2004
    Security camera - if we can vote, how about the one at the pool for the Hard Rock in Vegas!

14. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    Get ready for more networks to say goodbye. To many stations and with all the choices you get watered down Television. I would rather have less stations with more on them. I spend most of my money on dvds now.

15. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Naw I vote for a Security Cam at the Bunny Ranch in Vegas. One in each room..:D

16. chaddux

chaddux Banned User

Oct 10, 2004
    Does DirecTV's EPG show data for CNN/FN/I past the 15th? DISH's still shows full programming as far as I can see (12/21).

17. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I doubt Dish and DirecTV would carry TV Guide channel on their own free will. The channel was added as a part of an agreement with Gemstar, don't count on this channel ever going away anytime soon.

18. teknophyle

teknophyle Mentor

Oct 11, 2004

DTV are dropping these channels to make room for new sports networks. The church channels are public service and I think must carry. Soon you will see less entertainment/varity and more sports. I personally would rather see more entertainment/varity but DTV is all about the sports.

19. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    CNN on Channel 203? CNN is on channel 202 on Direc Tv

20. midnight75

midnight75 Legend

Jun 25, 2004
    That would be a good channel for them to get rid of. It's a big waste of bandwith in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.