1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV DVRs available in over 100 hotels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bakerfall, Apr 18, 2012.

1. bakerfall

bakerfall Godfather

Aug 23, 2006
  2. Garyunc

Garyunc Godfather

Oct 7, 2006
    Well that is great news. I would think that the hotels that had this installed would be marketing this heavily as a feature so perhaps we will know soon.

3. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I've been at a Hampton Inn in UT that had DIRECTV, but they didn't have the DVR feature. I hope more hotels start doing this Residential Experience. Looks like there is more info on the DIRECTV business website [link].

4. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Now we just need a way to set up recordings for our room before we get there. :D

Could you imagine rolling into the hotel at 9pm and having your 8pm shows already recorded for you?

5. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    That would be nice, but I'm usually on a business trip for 5 to 10 days. So I would have plenty of time to take advantage of recording programs after I arrive.

6. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I wonder though how much it will cost the Hotels to do this for us and will it Fly in a Recession Type Economy.

Marriott is still charging $10 for WiFi unless you are a Gold or Platinum Member so what will they charge for this Service.

It ain't gonna be Free I can guarantee you but will be passed along to the consumer as an Option for a Fee.

7. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Which is why I do my best not to stay at hotels that charge. Ironically, several of Marriott's sister properties have free WiFi. Go figure.

I think this will be something that, at least initially, could pay for itself in increased occupancy. I know if I knew a hotel had it, I would try to stay there even if it were slightly more expensive. But I tend to be a hotel snob.

8. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Interestingly enough, the Crowne Plaza I stay in Indianapolis every year for the Big Ten tournament went from pay-per-day wifi to free this year.

There is always the aspect that the hotels need to do things to bring in customers in a down economy.

9. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I was staying in a J.W. Marriott in Palm Springs, Ca. and Amazingly I was going to be Charged $10/Day until they realized I was a Marriott Gold Member.

You would think that they would use this as a Marketing Tool to attract customers but they are late in the game on this.

I get it Free at my 3 Marriott Vacation Villas but then again we are paying for it with our Annual Fees.

10. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I don't know if or what the hotel may charge, but during the promo it says they will pay $2.50/ room and here is what the additional details say:

Attached Files:

11. Garyunc

Garyunc Godfather

Oct 7, 2006
    Let's try to keep this thread updated with hotels that actually have this installed. I know this a tall hill to climb but perhaps a mod would be willing to pin it. I would really like to know what these 110 hotels are.

12. Floyd

Floyd Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    The receivers they use aren't DVRs, they are H24 receivers that are connected using a whole-home scenario and the shows are actually recorded on a server computer in the hotel's back office, then streamed back to the room receiver when the guest desires. The same computer can instruct the receiver to clear itself for the next guest. This technology is supposed to start next month.

13. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    You realize it's "100 HOTELS" not 100 hotel CHAINS. Chances of finding one of those 100 is probably 100 out of what, ??? 20,000 ??? From what I understand it is being pushed by local and regional MDU providers just as if they are selling to apartment complexes so it is more than likely found in smaller privately owned or franchised properties that local MDU salesfolk have access to.

14. Garyunc

Garyunc Godfather

Oct 7, 2006
    Yes I do realize that the odds are stacked against finding them but dbstalk has lots of members so you never know :) I am just curious...

15. Garyunc

Garyunc Godfather

Oct 7, 2006
    Not what the press release says
    "DIRECTV is now offering HD DVRs as part of its Residential Experience service for the lodging industry, designed to offer guests a home away from home video experience. As hotel guests unwind after a busy day, they'll also be able to rewind, pause and record live DIRECTV programming - not missing a moment of their favorite show or game broadcast when room service arrives or the phone rings."

"The DVR feature is part of the second phase of DIRECTV's initiative to completely transform the TV viewing experience in hotels, turning guest rooms into living rooms with a full residential channel line-up of over 100 HD channels controlled with an anti-microbial remote and easy-to-use interactive programming guide."

You can't pause live tv on a normal H24 but perhaps this is using RVU technology?

16. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    The last few ones I have been at had it for free or as part of the resort fee.

17. sonofcool

sonofcool Legend

Dec 23, 2007
    Cool! Now all I have to do is find one, move in there and I cancel my account! :)

18. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    when we stayed at the red roof inn last October for 2 months they had directv and where advertising something like this coming in the spring... Maybe they have it now?

19. Garyunc

Garyunc Godfather

Oct 7, 2006
    Bumping this back up. Anyone stayed in a hotel that had the new Direct TV hotel package? Please list the hotel names here.