1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv fails Pittsburgh ready test

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by w3syt, Nov 21, 2008.

Tags:
  1. w3syt

w3syt Legend

Feb 17, 2006
    We had a test for "are you ready for digital this week".
    PI13 WQED failed the test. PI2 & 4 were OK.

2. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Good thing it was just a test .. Yes, DIRECTV is testing lots of different markets at various times. All in anticipation of a smooth transition come February.

3. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Oh, and if you get your locals via Sat, you do not have to do anything .. this is all in DIRECTV's hands.

4. gregjones

gregjones Hall Of Fame

Sep 20, 2007
    Did DirecTV fail or did the local channel fail?

5. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I don't really understand these tests. I mean, they work great for getting the message across to people who use OTA that if they don't have a digital tuner, they won't have TV come February, but it's still not a good test unless the stations are broadcasting on their final channel allotments, and surely logistics would make that very difficult for the test?

If they do flash-cut to a new channel allotment for the test, perhaps that is why DirecTV failed. However, hopefully, DirecTV will have those issues sorted out come February, as well as Tribune for those of us relying on OTA.

~Alan

6. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Directv is switching to pick up the digital feeds instead of analog for the SD LILs. From another thread, it appears that some of the PBS locals have different programming on their analog and primary digital channels. That thread indicated that for one station, at least, Directv had changed back to the analog feed in order to provide viewers with the desired programs. In such a case, the test would fail. Some of the PBS channels have integrated their HD and SD programming into a single digital channel (hopefully all of them will prior to Feb. 17, 2009).

One of the Seattle stations has been running tests using their post-transition frequency, but those have been conducted in the early morning hours.

7. Pepster

Pepster Legend

Oct 29, 2008

Testing what? & how could DirecTV fail if DirecTV already supplies us with digital signals. I understand local OTA citizens not having made the adjustment yet & freaking out over their signal loss, but what does that have to do with DirecTV?
    Even after the transition, DirecTV will be picking the digital OTA instead of the analog, but on our end, what would be the difference?

8. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    Directv is fully aware that local channels are doing digital tests. A failed message just means that Directv has not upgraded their local uplink for that station

9. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    A lot of stations will be broadcasting digitally on different channels post-transition than what they do now! That means that DirecTV or someone at the LRF will have to change how DirecTV receives the channels. Whether or not that goes "swimmingly" remains to be seen.

~Alan

10. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Here is the schedule for the Directv and Dish Network transition to picking up digital feeds for SD LILs: http://mstv.org/docs/satschedalpha.pdf. There probably will be some exceptions (the Seattle transition occurred a few days later than shown).

11. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Gee, I guess it's a good thing that DirecTV doesn't offer SD locals here. :)

12. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    These tests are for OTA TV viewers, NOT for cable or satellite customers!

In many markets, DirecTV has already switched to using the digital feeds for locals, though in some, as it seems likely in yours, they are purposely still using the analog feed because the local station isn't showing the local feed on their digital station (but using the national PBS feed instead). DirecTV will flip the switch for that station in Feb, after the station moves their local feed to their digital broadcast.

Again, these tests are designed for OTA users ONLY. Other providers are already handling their conversions. The "test" should have explained this.

13. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    True, that these tests are for OTA viewers. I made that statement to reiterate my frustration for my area's lack of local DirecTV delivery. :) I'm all set for OTA, except we don't have NBC or CW.

14. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    According to this link, D* already completed their digital feed switch in Pittsburgh. Also, it shows they are due to make the change in my market (Harrisburg/Lancaster, PA) in the December, although we passed the test with our SD locals. I assume this means the table is wrong.

15. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    I know that Directv is already using the digital channel of CBS KMOV Channel 4 on it SD channel now in St. Louis. I can see half of the KMOV HD bug in the upper right hand corner now on the SD feed.

16. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    The table says Detroit was supposed to be switched over on 10/6, but it still hasn't happened.

17. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Did you check your Detroit SD local channels (via D*) to see if they passed the test whenever they did the test in your area?

18. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    I'm not aware of any tests they've done. But I know that they haven't switched over the channels yet.