1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv for a 98 year old .....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by uslimey, Dec 22, 2009.

1. uslimey

uslimey AllStar

Mar 13, 2006
    Moving my mother to a home for the elderly and believe it or not they are not wired for cable in this day and age.:nono2: So I am having Directv installed ... I ordered her the basic package but I now see that there is a special on the choice package. Do I have to call to change it or will the installer take care of it for me? Thanks:)

Sue

2. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    You should probably call and change it.
    99% chance they'll have to cancel your current account and set you up with a new one (no big deal since you dont have equipment activated to it yet), if you wait for the tech you could create a real headache for yourself.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Had exactly the same issue with my mom. Moved her into a dementia care facility and no cable. Put in DirecTV. Have to "teach" her how to use the TV again almost every night, but it is still worth it as it gives her a little better quality of life. Keep a copy of all the information at your fingertips, you may need it to help talk her through getting used to using a new system. If you are not already a DirecTV user, make a copy of the remote layout so you can refer to it when talking with her.

4. uslimey

uslimey AllStar

Mar 13, 2006
    Thanks ..........

5. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008

You must sign up for the special and have it on the account when it's activated or you will not be able to get it after you activate. You can call 888-355-7530 and tell them you want to change the programming on your order. The discount does require a rebate to be submitted online. Once they have confirmed the programming change I would highly recommend you confirm the equipment on the order and then submit the rebate. This will ensure that it is on the first bill.

6. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    I ordered the big button remote for my grandmother. The main reason wasn't the vision issue but that it's less confusing to look at. She will not use all the features of the standard remote. It's a good alternative and the buttons do press easier.

7. uslimey

uslimey AllStar

Mar 13, 2006
    Get more info here than with the Directv folks themselves. Who would ever have known there was a big button remote. Thanks for the tips.

8. uslimey

uslimey AllStar

Mar 13, 2006
    Got told by Directv today that because I set up my mother's account in my name and billing coming to me this did not qualify as a new account. If I had lied and pretended I was my mother could have gotten the special!!!! Figure that out!

9. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Wow. D* has customers of all ages. HERE's a post about an 11 year old customer.

10. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You could have gone one step further, done a referal of her from you and you would have both gotten $10 off a month for ten months. But again, the account would have had to be in her name. (I think it could still have been billed to you though.)

11. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    There wouldn't have been a need to lie you could have just told them you were going to help her setup the account. They would have wanted to speak with her to verify but you could have done everything else.

12. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I would let Ellen know about the situation and maybe Directv would let her have it for free as an advertising campaign.

ellen.filipiak@directv.com

No phone number since they change all the time.

Send her an email as she is a Senior Vice President for Customer Service.

13. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Hell No!

The contact phone never works.
    You get suprised when you arrive at the address.
    Parking is scarce with all the reserved and handicap signs.
    All the doors are locked.
    The receptionist might or most likely wont be expecting you.
    The name on the work order wont match a guest.
    The work order will be for residential. The facility will be commercial with restrictions.
    Inside smells like drugs, preservatives and disinfectant.
    Customer education can be tough.

No advertising required.