1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DIRECTV for Android App v2.2.3 Issues & Discussion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Sgt. Slaughter, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter Hall Of Fame

Feb 20, 2009
    Well I was presented with 2.2.3 update and the release notes are the same as they were for the previous release....

BUT.....there was one big change I noticed!

Streaming video on my EVO 4G LTE in the app WORKED!!! No more error message when trying to play video!

The only thing I noticed is that even over my home WiFi which is over 20Mb down connection, the start of every video is very very blocky and that lasts for a few seconds before clearing up...

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Motorola Atrix V2.3.6

At a hotel, download speed is 1.04 mbps, latency is 67.4 ms and the app is slow loading lists and posters, very sluggish and nothing will play.

3. kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    Streaming no longer works on my stock Samsung Galaxy Nexus (4.1), get a 5100 error message. App won't load when connected to a wifi network. Then as NR4P said, the app is sluggish. Tried uninstalling and re-installing the app but that did not help.

4. Sgt. Slaughter

Feb 20, 2009
    What are you doing when its sluggish?....app for me shows no sluggishness tbh...just the issue with the initial buffering of the videos is only thing I show this far...

5. stsrep

stsrep AllStar

Mar 10, 2007
    App still works for me on my unlocked Samsung Galaxy Nexus running ICS 4.0.4.
    Still won't run on my LePanII running ICS 4.0.4 but worked when it was HC.

6. kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    When playback of a video fails, that is when things slow down. Scrolling becomes very slow at that point and longer "loading" screens. If I don't try and play a video, the app is fine.

7. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    It's now working on my DROID 4 (running ICS) as well. When I got ICS on Monday, I tried the DirecTV app to see if it would work, but it didn't. I don't know if this update will work for DROID 4 owners who haven't gotten ICS yet or not. If not, unless there is a problem with the ICS Soak Test which is taking place right now, you should be getting it within a week or two.

8. narcolept

narcolept Godfather

Mar 1, 2007
    Video now plays fine on stock Rezound running ICS. Will test on Xoom running Jellybean later.

9. Altcool

Altcool Legend

Jun 11, 2007
    Nexus 7 Running 4.1.1 over wifi Android App v2.2.3 when trying to " watch on phone" the app reports "Unfortunately, DirecTV has stopped."

10. Sgt. Slaughter

Feb 20, 2009
    wonder if this is a screen size related thing or if its an android version related since your on JB there...Anyone got a Note to test this on?....

Good to see it working on other devices it wasn't before like the Droid4, along side my EVOLTE!! baby steps, but were getting there! :D Ton of devices to support for here, but progress is at least being made! :D

Now we just need nomad...:(

11. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Finally got around to attempting to play some video and the non-trailer stuff finally works on the Rezound with ICS.

12. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    Works fine on my Razr M with ICS, doesn't show content (other than trailers) on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with ICS.

13. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I previously reported that video is working on my DROID 4 w/ICS. That is no longer the case. I don't know if I previously screwed up and watched HBO GO (which does work) instead of the DirecTV app or if it did actually work on the DROID 4 for a short period of time, before it stopped working.

Regardless, as of 10/10/12, video from the DirecTV app does NOT work on a DROID 4 w/ICS.

14. DJConan

DJConan Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    I just tried the app Nexus 7. Looks like months later, it is still not working. I have the same problem.

15. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears DBSTalk Club

Mar 18, 2008
    I'm not a developer in any way so I could be very wrong but I think that it may have to do with the DPI of the screen.

16. kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    Wish it was that easy of a fix but unfortunately the problem affects all devices running 4.1+. My galaxy nexus running 4.0 could play videos just fine, but with the 4.1 update nothing will play.

17. Fluthy

Fluthy Legend

Feb 8, 2008
    Are we Android users ever going to get an app more like iOS?

18. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    WOW...haven;t looked at the app for a while, but this morning i see that instead of the 6 channels it said I subscribe to before, now it's showing 30 channels available...

So....looks like we're getting some progress.....

On my Razr M running ICS I get an error message though telling me they are experiencing technical difficulties and they are not able to start a stream.

On my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 I get the same thing I always did.....the D* app just stops when I try to watch anything.

19. stsrep

stsrep AllStar

Mar 10, 2007
    Same for me on LPII tablet this app won't stream anything but previews.
    This works great however with the IPAD app on my IPAD 2.

20. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    No longer getting the dialog telling me that a stream can't be started due to technical difficulties....

Now I'm getting a dialog telling me that there's a problem with media player.

AT least we're seeing some progress....I went from having 6 channels I couldn't watch to now having 30 channels I can't watch....:lol: