1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DirecTV for Android updated to 3.0, boasts voice commands and new UI

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Athlon646464, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    DirecTV for Android updated to 3.0, boasts voice commands and new UI

DirectTV's comprehensive app overhaul has finally jumped to a second operating system: Android. The refined UI debuted on the iPad earlier this month before migrating to the iPhone, adding a Watch Button to choose where content is played, a redesigned Info Page and more customization options in the guide.

Now, these same improvements are available on Google's mobile OS, including DVR scheduling and voice search for programming.

Full Story Here

[​IMG]
    Engadget

2. Milkman

Milkman Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Finally is a good word to use here.

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Have any idea how many HRs can be controlled?

Rich

4. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    If it's like the iOS one I have, it will see all of your HRs.

5. Milkman

Milkman Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    I have 4 HR24s and they are all listed, you just select one and go.

6. j_al23@ymail.com

j_al23@ymail.com New Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Mapleton, Ut
    I downloaded the app, and when I open it and put in my credentials it says: "Your account receiver list could not be downloaded."

7. Soccernut

Soccernut AllStar

Jan 19, 2004
    What is a good Android “tablet’ that works with Directv?
    What is the app capable of doing? Does it have all the functions of the remote? Is it as fast as the remote?
    I have a cell phone with text capability, but not a smart phone, I’m retired and home a lot so I use my laptop for internet, plus the phone screens are too small for my old eyes.
    I’m looking for a faster way for quick internet search without breaking the bank.

8. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I bought an Asus Transformer tablet from www.nomorerack.com for under $100. It works great with the Direct TV app, a Kindle app, etc. I like it a lot.

9. Milkman

Milkman Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Everyone should know, that as far as I can tell the DirecTV android TABLET app has not yet been updated with this functionality.

10. Vinny*

Vinny* Legend

May 17, 2008
    Will this work on a Kindle Fire HD?

11. j_al23@ymail.com

j_al23@ymail.com New Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Mapleton, Ut
    It works now! :righton:

12. BruceFan

BruceFan New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Not good for me since I have an HR20 HD DVR, now I can no longer watch directv on my phone! Anyone know how I can roll back to the prior version?

13. Soccernut

Soccernut AllStar

Jan 19, 2004
    [SIZE=12pt]My bad, I assumed if it was available for the IPad it also included the Android tablets. [/SIZE]

14. Soccernut

Soccernut AllStar

Jan 19, 2004
    [SIZE=12pt]When you say it works with the Directv app, what specifically can you do with it? [/SIZE]

15. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    When you say it works with the Directv app, what specifically can you do with it?

I haven't usedbit in a while, but it could function as a remote control, as well as a scheduler for recordings. It was pretty cool.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk mobile app

16. loudo

loudo DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    I wish DirecTV would come out with an app for the Windows 8 phones.

17. Soccernut

Soccernut AllStar

Jan 19, 2004
    [SIZE=12pt]A mom and veteran supporter! Are you married? ….. Oops I can’t ask that question, I’m married. :)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Seriously thanks a lot for your help. [/SIZE]

18. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    What good is this app if it can't be used anywhere other than at home, Um I'm at home with a big screen staring at my face with a remote, If GenieGo can do it (Although not everyone have the same results) than so can the android apps, It's just a moot point other than remote and live stream, they should include DVR recordings playback, although scheduling is nice considering it's been done since the original app several years ago.

19. balboadave

balboadave Legend

Mar 3, 2010
    Who says it can't? Streaming comes from DirecTV, so you can't watch your recordings, but any online content they have, and it's somewhat limited, can be watched anywhere. You'll need a good data plan though. You can still setup recordings for your home DVRs.

20. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I can't get Voice on TV to work. I put in the receiver's IP adress and I get the message "We see a Voice Enabled Receiver under your account. This phone and your Voice receiver must be on the same Wi-Fi network to use this feature.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?