1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIRECTV forums reorganization

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Doug Brott, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Hi folks,

We are going to be making a few changes in the organization of the DIRECTV forums here @ DBSTalk.com. I'd like for you all to take a moment and review the changes here before they are made. Below is listed the new organization:

• DIRECTV General Discussion
      • DIRECTV Tips and Resources
      • DIRECTV Extras
      • DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion
      • DIRECTV Programming (National and Local)
        • HD Locals Broadcast Issues
    • DIRECTV HD Receiver Discussion
    • DIRECTV SD Receiver Discussion
    • DIRECTV Cutting Edge Information
      • DIRECTV Cutting Edge
        • Cutting Edge Announcements
        • Cutting Edge Issues

The HD Locals Broadcast Issues (in green) may not be included once the changes are implemented. We are still trying to make a decision on that one. The items in red require you to opt-in to the Cutting Edge program by agreeing to the rules posted in the Cutting Edge Information forum.

If you have any thoughts, feel free to voice them here. I will be making the change in the next few days.

Cheers,
    Doug

2. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Just a few comments...

Combining the general installation and MDU discussions will mean that DIY'ers looking for help will need to understand that a lot of the MDU info won't apply, and the MDU folks will need to filter out the self-install chit-chat.

How will you split the existing posts between the SD and HD discussions? For example, the current Legacy and Standalone forums will have discussions about both SD and HD in them.

3. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    HD receivers go in the HD area .. SD receivers go in the SD area. There is very little discussion about legacy receivers (SD or HD), there shouldn't be any issues.

4. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    So the idea is to combine DVR with receiver only STBs? You either had an HD or SD STB?

5. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Correct ...

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The exception to that is... R22 receivers. Because they are more closely related to the HR2x series, they will be in the HD receiver forum.

7. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    Any chance of getting a seperate section for DirecTV Sports programming? I put a poll up a while back that showed a lot of support for breaking sports out from the general DirecTV Programming area.

Oh, and thanks for all the hard work making this one of my "go to" parts of the Interwebs!

8. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I think the Sports Programming forum we have : http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

is probably sufficient for that. If there's a technical issue, post it in the programming forum. If you want to talk sports (who doesn't?) use the existing Sports forum.

9. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I was thinking about this in terms of existing and historical threads for searching. Are those going to stay in the existing structure, or are they going to be moved to the new structure?

10. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I'm hope to just move them all to the new organization ..

11. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    We did a forum reorganization last year and it did not end up being a problem.

12. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    I dont see the a problem and it looks well consolidated. I see a confusion for some with DVR and non-DVR STB's. But like anything else will take some getting used to.

13. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    It looks good on paper (screen).

14. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I like the proposed organizational structure. I think it will be less confusing for newbies which will make it easier for them to find answers to their questions.

Great job!

15. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Makes alot of sense.

We have evolved...:D

16. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Oh, I really I don't see any problems; I was just offering a few observations. Heck, if you just dumped it all into one great big forum, it would work for me. I usually keep up from the "New Posts" tab anyhow and rarely pay attention to the individual forums unless I'm searching, and then I usually just search all of DirecTV.

17. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    With the possibility of new features in the future, the HDDVR's and HD receivers will almost have to be in the same category. If they are not there will be new threads on the same subject started all over.

18. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    We're prepared to see a few bumps when the forums are consolidated, but I'm sure it's nothing we haven't seen before.

19. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    Looks fine to me...of course, my opinion isn't worth a whole lot! :)

20. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Looks good to me. The only thing I would say is I would not combine the MDU forum with the installer forum for the reasons rudeney stated. Seems to be no advantage and lots of disadvantage to combining them.

I also like the Installer forum being a main forum so that not so much installation talk gets created in the Receiver forums, but that can go either way IMO.