1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DirecTV: Free-preview week in November

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by APB101, Oct 10, 2013.

1. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    I received in today's [10.10.2013] mail information from DirecTV regarding a free-preview week of some premium-movie programmers (and their multiscreens).

[Monday,] November 25–[Sunday,] December 1, 2013
    • HBO (Ch. 501–511)
    • Cinemax (Ch. 515–523)
    • Starz (Ch. 525–542)

2. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    Spanning the long Thanksgiving Holiday weeked. Good timing. An option besides football for the family get togethers. Movies. Beats having to talk to those weird Uncles.

3. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    D* should just stop providing local channels entirely to people within the grade A or grade B contours of a station's transmitter and hand out free antennas. That should shut the stations up real quick and save D* a lot of money in the long run. D* really should have been more forward thinking and kept digital OTA receivers in their satellite receivers but even buying AM-21 modules for everyone that needs them would probably save them money in the long run.

4. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    HarleyD how dare you call me weird! i'll remember you on christmas day! (LOL just kidding !) although it makes me wonder what makes your uncles weird. any way enjoy the holidays with some good moveis with the free preview!

5. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    It's the old "you can choose your friends but you can't chose your family". They're all decent folks, I just don't have much in common with many of my relatives beyond shared DNA. The holidays are that special time where you gather and break bread with folks with whom you might not normally choose to interact.

God bless 'em. I might be the weird one.

6. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I spotted that insert with my bill about a WHOLE WEEK of free HBO, Cinemax, and Starz. I don't think DTV has ever given a "free preview" this long or with this many competing premium channels. Last year, there was a free preview but it started the Wednesday of Thanksgiving week and ended late Sunday night.

These free previews are designed to get you to watch the series that the program providers are running and like them enough to become a regular subscriber. In the past, the premium channels content was 90% or greater movies but now with so many other ways of obtaining movies they have to do something to justify their outrageous monthly fee.

7. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    You are, I believe, absolutely correct. DirecTV sub since before national roll-out, back into the USSB days, this is unprecedented. But it may be because of folks like myself, who had premiums years ago, but turned them all off and put the bucks into sports and threw a bit toward Netflix (even before bluray).

8. bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    looking forward to this

9. bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    Looking forward to this! a whole week of free movies (although I'll probably end up recording 3 or less.)

10. skoolpsyk

skoolpsyk Mentor

May 24, 2007
    lol, same here. I'm always amazed at how little I actually end up recording. It's not always that there isn't anything good, but I've usually already seen it, sometimes several times. And with these channels there's always the whole incorrect OAR issue, which I can't believe is still going on...

11. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    Can anyone confirm the exact dates and channels for this free preview? I don't see anything on Directv.com, and I would think there would be something out there if it truly started this coming Monday.

12. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    http://www.freepreview.tv/

13. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    Sweet!! I have looked and there are a bunch of movies I'll be recording.

14. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I haven't seen these premiums for quite a while, and it's amazing how much better (to me) the AQ and PQ is on a BluRay vs these channels.

1 person likes this.
  15. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Your listing only goes to November 17

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

16. mavs-fan

mavs-fan Mentor

Aug 31, 2011
    Can anyone confirm that the week long preview of HBO/Cinemax/Starz/Encore from Monday November 25-Sunday December 1 is indeed unerway?

17. oriolesmagic

oriolesmagic New Member

Aug 6, 2013
    MD
    They are working for me, Cinemax and Starz, which I don't receive in my package.

18. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Confirmed

19. john262

john262 AllStar

Oct 26, 2011
    These free previews provide a good service for me. They remind me why I don't subscribe to any premium channels. There are too many repeats of movies I saw already and a lot of the content is not suitable for my entire family. And a lot of the movies are really old and not just new movies. No thank you.

20. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Same with Dish.