1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv Genie Upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by 3littlepigs, Mar 20, 2013.

1. 3littlepigs

3littlepigs New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Hi all.

I want to upgrade my current Directv setup to the new Genie. I currently have a HR21 with a Slimline disk.
    Is this what I need.
    - SL5-SWM SlimLine Single Wire Ka/Ku Five LNB With Built-In Multiswitch (SL5-SWM)
    - SWM-PI 29V Power Inserter for SWM-8 (SWM-PI)
    - DIRECTV HR34

I can still use my Slimline disk, correct?

Thanks,
    3littlepigs

2. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Yes, you should be able to still use the same dish, and that does look like the correct equipment you would need.

That said, if you do the upgrade through DirecTV they will change out the LNB, add the power inserter, and hook everything up, so it probably makes more sense to just have them do it. Most people that are out of contract have been able to get the Genie for free, or at a pretty good discount. There are many threads here talking about it if you look around.

3. 3littlepigs

3littlepigs New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    It looks like I can get the equipment for about the same price I can get it through Directv. Plus I get to do it.

4. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Buying the stuff yourself you are looking at anywhere from $300 up depending on where you get the stuff. $300 for the HR34, and then the LNB, Power Inserter, and splitter (if needed). Buying the LNB and power inserter off eBay will save you some money but you are still probably looking at $40 or more.

From DirecTV the most you should have to pay is $350, $300 for the Genie, and $50 for install. All the other stuff will be included. But, like I said many many people have been able to call in and get significant deals on this, some even getting everything done for free, but many getting it for $100-150.

I would at least call DirecTV and talk to them a couple times to see what kind of a deal you can get (sometimes you have to do it a couple times as some CSRs are more likely to give out deals than others).

Either way you go about doing it you should realize that activating the Genie on your account will start a new 2 year agreement, whether you get it from DirecTV or somewhere else.