1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DirecTV - Going from Choice Xtra to Select Package?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by dtv4523, Jul 23, 2014.

1. dtv4523

dtv4523 New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    I currently have the grandfathered choice xtra classic package, with 3 HD dvrs that are all connected for around 89.00 dollars. I was thinking of moving over to the select package which would drop our bill down to 55 dollars. I just wanted to see if you guys thought this would be a good move. I know typically it's not a good idea to loose grandfathered plans, but I don't watch any sports channels which seems to be the major difference between the choice xtra classic package and the select package.

Just wanted to get some thoughts before I pulled the trigger.

Thanks!

2. Devo1237

Devo1237 Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    It all depends on what you watch. I was on Extra for a long time, but only for the Tennis Channel and AMC. With the rising cost of the RSNs I don't watch (we have a $3+ RSN fee in LA) and the lack of the Pac-12 network that I would watch, I downgraded all the way down to the Entertainment value the second Mad Men ended. I'm probably gonna drop down to Select now that the World Cup is over, too. I think Entertainment and Select are identical except for the ESPN nets. My wife liked the Cooking Channel, but not enough to justify the difference in price.

3. dtv4523

dtv4523 New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Thanks for the comments. I don't watch anything on AMC and no sports at all. So is Select the cheapest package or the entertainment?

4. Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman Legend DBSTalk Club

Dec 13, 2012
    Family is the cheapest. However with the pricing you stated it sounds like you're getting some credits and if that's the case they don't always follow to a lesser package so the savings may not be as much.

5. dtv4523

dtv4523 New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    So do you think it's a good idea to drop down to at least the select package? I don't want to loose a grandfathered plan, then come to regret it later. I also don't want to pay for a package I'm not watching.

6. Devo1237

Devo1237 Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    Select is cheaper. Entertainment is $8 or so more for a couple ESPN channels. Technically, there is an unadvertised Family Package that is the real cheapest, but it has very few channels that most people are interested in. Also, if you have discounts applied to your account, I think you need to have Select or higher to keep them.

7. dtv4523

dtv4523 New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Thanks. So it doesn't sound like I need to keep this grandfathered package since I don't watch the sports channels.

8. Devo1237

Devo1237 Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    Sounds like it. Although you haven't mentioned what you do watch, so it's hard to say for sure.

9. dtv4523

dtv4523 New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    It looks you mainly loose the sports channels, AE, and Own by dropping to the select package from what I have currently. As I missing any other big channels?

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Go here, put in your zip code and you can compare all channels that come in all packages and see all the channels that you will be missing by dropping down. You can also print this and it might make it easier to read.

https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/pepod/configure.jsp?_requestid=909560#package-section

11. RussP

RussP New Member

Sep 30, 2007
  12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I caution that the prices you're using may be promotional prices and not retail for an existing customer. I'm thinking your pre-tax bill will be closer to $86 than $55 if you go with Select:

Code:
    Select                           $49.99
    Advanced Receiver Service - DVR  $10.00
    Advanced Receiver Service - HD   $10.00
    Whole Home DVR Service            $4.00
    Receiver fees ($18.00-6.00)      $12.00

Total                            $85.99

ps: IP Board doesn't seem to be able to avoid colored parsing of nocode codeboxes.

13. dtv4523

dtv4523 New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    yes, that is with a 25 dollar credit they have put on my bill each month.

14. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It may not be safe to assume that you will be eligible for that same credit after the change.

15. Devo1237

Devo1237 Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    As mentioned above, most credits are valid on the Select Package and above. But it wouldn't hurt to call in and confirm.

16. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Do you know if I can keep my credits currently on the Mas Ultra spanish to the Xtra package?

17. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Only DIRECTV can tell you how they are going to treat you.

18. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Which based on numerous threads here, seems like DirecTV® is very generous when giving out discounts.

19. rb5505

rb5505 Legend

Dec 23, 2004
    We've been on the select classic pkg (w/espn) for years (after dumping the grandfathered total choice). Select choice is the best value by far. Pkgs just above it have more channels of course, buts it mostly junk that's repeated over & over. With the major networks being 75% of our viewing, we can't watch all that we dvr now! Plus, just keep an eye out at the link below, there's plenty of free promos all year, every year.

http://www.freepreview.tv/tag/directv

20. gt2982a

gt2982a New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    We've been on the Select package for about 3 months and have no regrets. BTW, there is a $5.00 per month Select package discount available if you complain about your bill being too high. According to a CSR, that's the only discount avalable although I'm sure if you are not in a contract, you can negotiate for more. We have about one year left on our contract.