1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv, Harmony One and Wireless Repeater

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Corginut, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Corginut

Corginut DBSTalk Club Member

Jan 22, 2007
    I have a Harmony One controlling my HR20-700 and Bose speakers, Apple TV, Blue Ray player, etc. Someone suggested I unclutter the room by putting the components in an adjacent closet and use a wireless repeater. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using one of these with Directv and Harmony? I read on a couple of web sites that Directv has issues with wireless repeaters. Any help would be appreciated greatly!http://www.dbstalk.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

2. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    I am guessing that you mean an "IR Repeater". If there would be problems it would be with the repeater rather that the DirecTV equipment. The X-10 POWERMID Remote Control Extender Kit - Model 5900 has received excellent reviews.

3. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Watch out for heat issues putting them in a closed closet.

4. Corginut

Corginut DBSTalk Club Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Thank you, I did mean ir repeater. I appreciate the help. Logitech has one that some people seem to like, also.

5. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Be aware that the Logitech repeater is wired vs the Powermids which are a "wireless" solution. Of course you may not need wireless depending on your specific installation requirements.

6. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I have used many wired and wireless repeaters, both personally and installing them in customer's houses.

If your Bose is also your amplifier, I believe they generally use RF remotes. You can't repeat them. On the upside, they aren't affected by closet doors so you may not need to. It just makes life more interesting if you have both IR and RF components you are trying to take over to a closet.

For generic wired repeaters, I'd stay with Xantech or Niles. Xantech is the oldest company in this field. The Niles stuff is also very well made and reliable.

For a wireless one, the Next Generation one is all I ever use any more. Every other one I've tried has very limited range and has been cranky. They will just quit working when you get some interference. The disadvantage of the Next Gen is that you have to use their trick replacement battery in everyone of your remotes and that can get expensive.