1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q4-13 Thread)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Mike Bertelson, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 23, 2013 #1 of 379
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Please use this thread to discuss your feelings about upcoming national HD channels.

This thread will not be as tightly moderated as the rest of the site, but here's the tradeoff...in exchange for being able to rant a bit more, you can be assured that absolutely no one at DIRECTV will be using this thread for reference.

You can ask for all the new HD you want, but DIRECTV's marketing department knows that the 100-150 contributors to this thread are only a small part of the nearly 20 million U.S subscribers (36+ million world wide).

*Please remember that all forum rules are still in effect.
    *Please do not "bump" this thread.
    *Other threads that do nothing but anticipate HD channels for which there is no information will be closed.
    *This is not a DIRECTV vs. Dish thread, there are other threads for that.

If you have any questions as to what belongs in this thread or an individual channel thread please read the latest DIRECTV Programming Forum Rules (Link).

2. Oct 1, 2013 #2 of 379
    dwrats_56

dwrats_56 Godfather

Apr 20, 2007
    Columbia, MO
    I really don't have a great deal of anticipation for this quarter, but I would like for NASA HD to be added.

I believe that it is FTA, so it would be a matter of capacity or desire on the DirecTV side.

Oh, and first for the quarter.

3. Oct 1, 2013 #3 of 379
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Still waiting for these, hopefully D14 will deliver them next year.

Esquire
    Fox Movie Channel
    GAC
    GSN
    Hub
    MAVTV
    Military Channel
    NASA
    Outdoor Channel
    Pentagon Channel
    Pivot
    Pursuit Channel
    Reelz
    Sportsman Channel
    TVG
    TVGN
    Universal Sports Network

4. Oct 1, 2013 #4 of 379
    cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Real good list. #1 for me there would be GSN. I don't understand why that is not HD yet???

Also add BBC World News HD. Saw it on Time Warner Cable. Was pretty cool!

5. Oct 1, 2013 #5 of 379
    JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Telemundo HD and Fox Deportes HD along with Fox and FXX Ondemand channels for me...

6. Oct 1, 2013 #6 of 379
    mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Astoria, OR
    Sundance and FXM for me and I'm good.

Sent from the other side of the Milky Way with my S4.

7. Oct 2, 2013 #7 of 379
    Christian_Cat

Christian_Cat New Member

Jul 19, 2013
    I would add STYLE IN HD.

8. Oct 2, 2013 #8 of 379
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Style doesn't exist anymore, it was replaced with Esquire last week

9. Oct 2, 2013 #9 of 379
    APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    I, too, am not anticipating much in the way of HD additions for the fourth and final quarter of 2013.

I keep an open mind for whether a contractual agreement may finally become reached between Pac-12 Network and DirecTV.

I think we're in for major upgrades with the launch of D14 in 2014.

If there will be, say, three high-def programmers added during this last quarter of 2013, I would just avoid anticipating any of the brands from Comcast/NBCUniversal. I had mentioned, in the third-quarter "HD Anticipation" thread, that it is strange that not one Comcast/NBCUniversal programmer was added by DirecTV after E! Entertainment Television HD from April 2012. That was 18 months ago. No Style Network HD. (Which would now read as Esquire Network HD.) No Oxygen HD. No TV One HD. No PBS Kids Sprout HD. And none of the regional and/or national sports programmers, including Universal Sports HD.

ANTICIPATION
    None

JUST A LITTLE ANTICIPATION
    240 Home Shopping Network HD
    294 The Hub HD

PENDING A CONTRACTUAL AGREEMENT WORTHY OF SOME ANTICIPATION
    6xx Pac-12 Network HD

GENUINE ANTICIPATION
    D14 (expected to launch in 2014)

10. Oct 2, 2013 #10 of 379
    mrsdrgn

mrsdrgn Mentor

Jan 20, 2010
    GolTV HD

11. Oct 2, 2013 #11 of 379
    fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    I also agree that nothing is likely in Q4, but I am still hoping that Q1 2014 will bring:

Universal Sports Network
    We
    Esquire
    Al Jazeera America
    Military

12. Oct 2, 2013 #12 of 379
    ep1974

ep1974 Legend

May 22, 2010
    Is there an approximate date for the launch of D14?

13. Oct 2, 2013 #13 of 379
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    My wish list......Fox Movie Channel HD......Military Channel HD......NASA HD......OuterMax HD......Pentagon Channel HD.

14. Oct 2, 2013 #14 of 379
    e4123

e4123 AllStar

Jan 31, 2011
    I'm hoping for something different, like all currently offered HD channels on demand offerings being available in HD. I hate missing a show and having to make it up in SD.

15. Oct 2, 2013 #15 of 379
    cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    I'm hoping for something different, like all currently offered HD channels on demand offerings being available in HD. I hate missing a show and having to make it up in SD.

This!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

16. Oct 2, 2013 #16 of 379
    jerrylove56

jerrylove56 Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    North Alabama
    I wonder if its not time for a sea-change by DTV and Dish. Over the last week I have noticed that a large number of channels on Direct (Dish also probably) are nothing more than rerun repackagers. (repackagers=channels that lack any original first-run programming) Direct is always complaining of programming cost and raising rates why not do what the Esquire just did and force some channel reorganization.

This may seem odd for group that is HD hungry but there a lot of Directv channels that I struggle to see their value. (Not based on what I like or dislike. For example I don't like country and western music or hunting programming but I see the value of it for those who do.)

If DTV say eliminates say 25 HD/SD channels would that mean they would have to keep jacking rates up for a while? If yes then lets give it a try.

I still have no idea why ION east/west was created. Why does Food Network have the Cooking Channel yet they show the same programs. Why are there 2 History Channels and they show the same shows. Why did Nat. Geo. get two channels and they share the same programming. The list goes on and on. Maybe some of you other viewers can enlighten me.

Quantity does not guarantee quality.

17. Oct 2, 2013 #17 of 379
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Those so called "rerun" channels are pennies per month, and many people would be disappointed if they can't see those shows anymore since the parent network no longer airs them. (i.e. Nickelodeon favoring endless airings of Spongebob instead of the classic shows that now air on Nicktoons and TeenNick) It's the reruns that keep them cheap. Take TeenNick for example, it's mostly reruns of old Nickelodeon shows, a late night block of classic Nick shows that haven't seen the lite of day since the early 00s, combined with original shows like a top 10 video countdown and imported shows like Degrassi, House of Anubis, Dance Academy and Alien Surf Girls. Replacing the schedule with nothing but first run shows would jack up the costs.

In addition to showing programming from their Ion Life subchannel during daytime instead of infomercials, Ion West is also used to provide LIL service for west coast markets where DirecTV doesn't carry the actual local Ion feed. The same for Ion East.

Have you checked the schedules for Nat Geo and Nat Geo Wild, History and H2, Food and Cooking Channel or even HGTV and DIY? Some are very different programming wise and very few shows air on both channels. Usually the latter contains more of the type of programming that used to air on the parent channel before they shifted direction to focus on a wider audience.

Also for everyone who thinks Quality will win out over Quantity, take a look at what's topping the Nielsen ratings on cable. Unless your definition of quality is Honey Boo Boo, Jersey Shore, Teen Mom, Monday Night Raw, Monday Night Football, and Family Guy reruns on TBS and Adult Swim, you'll be in for a disappointment.

18. Oct 2, 2013 #18 of 379
    cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Jerry, it's called network decay. Google it.

First the main channel deviates so far from its core purpose that they create a second channel to fulfill the original purpose. Like MTV doesn't show music videos anymore (it's mostly teen mom and catfish these days). MTV2 was created years ago and they did solely music videos. I used to enjoy it in the clear on c-band. Then eventually the secondary channel will turn to shit as seen with MTV2 being the rob dyrdek channel.

Same thing happens to other network genre's. They get so cluttered with reality TV programming that additional networks have to be created to fill in the original purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

1 person likes this.
  19. Oct 2, 2013 #19 of 379
    jojo11

jojo11 New Member

Jan 12, 2013
    I would like to see in HD:

TV One
    GSN
    WeTV
    Esquire
    Sundance

And I would like to see FS Kansas City as a full time channel.

20. Oct 2, 2013 #20 of 379
    mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    My 3 wishes now are: FXM, GSN, and I guess Pivot since I can't think of anything else I'd watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.