1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

directv HD DVR RECEIVER

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by raiderdude, May 10, 2010.

1. raiderdude

raiderdude New Member

May 10, 2010
    Would it be safe to buy a new in box hr22nc-100 from a private party? How would I know if its not stolen? Will it work ? I already have 1 HD Dvr and 3 other reg. HD receivers. My system is not connected to a phone line. Only through the dish.

2. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    You'd be best to not do this. It doesn't matter if it's stolen. If it is simply leased, which the vast majority of DVRs are, including I'm sure your own, it can't be transfered. It remains the property of DirecTV. You would be buying a brick.

The only DVRs that can be purchased second hand are those who have been sold to the consumer, not leased. Even then, I'd be careful. Many, many people think they own their DVRs when in fact they are leased.

3. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    An equally, and more likely issue....is if the unit is leased...not owned (which is probable. Leased units are owned by DirecTV, and cannot be resold.

If you have the unit's serial number, you could call Customer Service at DirecTV and ask them if the unit is showing as a leased or owned unit. If it's leased, you're out of luck. If it's owned, you could request a new Access Card for it (likely for a small fee).

4. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Ask the seller for the receiver ID.

Call DIRECTV and tell them you are thinking about buying a receiver, and ask for the access card distribution team. If the CSR says they can help you and you don't need the card department, politely insist you do. Call back and get someone else if you have to.

Once you get to the access card department, tell them you are wanting to buy a receiver and would like to check the receiver ID.

It has to be owned, not leased.
    It has to be turned off, not active on an account.
    The account it is currently tied to must be in good standing and have a ZERO balance.

If any or all of the three requirements are not met, you will have wasted your money, as it will be worthless.

Again, make sure you talk to the card department. Ask them after the first CSR transfers you and they will confirm they are in the department.

After they confirm with you that all the requirements are met, specifically ask them to note your account that you called in, check the three things you need to check, the receiver ID, and that they told you there would be no problem adding the receiver as an OWNED receiver to your account.

You will be required to purchase a new access card for $20

5. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    If is it new, in the box, the ACDT may tell you it has no history. If that is the case, it will be added as a leased receiver.

Based on my past experience, unless the price is really cheap, buying it either owned or a new lease is probably not worth the hassle.

6. raiderdude

raiderdude New Member

May 10, 2010
    The lady in the card Dept. Said it may have been purchased from best buy or target to be a leased rec. I don't really understand that,nevertheless they did say i could buy it from the guy and save $150 and just give it back to them when I decided to end my directv subscription

7. johns70

johns70 Legend

May 2, 2010
    What ?

..leased but never registered DVR so I could legally purchase it....

If I ever decided I didn't want dtv anymore this new dvr would have to be returned to them.

It's as clear as mud now.

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If it's still in the box [unopened] then most likely it comes with a new access card, so it's ready to activate.
    If you wanted to keep all your receivers, this one would cost another $5/month to add.
    Yes, when you activate it the 2-year commitment starts.

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    A retailer's stock that was never sold [before this time] and comes with an unused access card.

10. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    You're welcome.

That sounds like it was one from Best Buy or something like that. I see them pop up sometimes where people buy them from there, then something happens, and they never activate it. I don't know why they told you it costs more than $199 to lease a DVR, but I guess the extra 50 comes from them sending someone to install it or something? Either way, $100 for a brand new lease it decent.

Before you buy it, check your online account to see how much you could get one from there. If it says $199 like mine does, I say go for the one you found.

11. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    The only reason I could ever imagine getting a DirecTV receiver from a source OTHER than DirecTV would be:

1. To ensure a brand new unit of the model I wanted.

2. To avoid the 2 year commitment by purchasing an OWNED unit from a private party after verifying that it is indeed owned and not leased.

$100 is no deal in my opinion. When I asked about an HD upgrade last year, DirecTV quoted me $50 for an HD DVR, Slimline 5 dish, and new multiswitch which supports HD-and, installation of the above. Of course, this included a new 2 year commitment.

I decided to wait for the new DirecTiVo. And, of course, since a 2 year commitment was involved and I'd never been a DISH customer.... ;)

12. mickcris

mickcris Legend

Mar 16, 2008
    What happens if you buy one that is owned but still active on the seller's account? There was one on ebay i was looking at, and this is the status of the unit. I searched and could not find the answer (sorry to res-erect this old thread).

13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You will not be able to activate it until after the seller deactivates it.

14. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Ask the seller to turn it off :)

Other than that, you might be able to turn it off yourself but us discussing how you might go about that probably isn't allowed. ;)

15. mickcris

mickcris Legend

Mar 16, 2008
    thanks, so I guess I would be taking a chance as to the status of their account. If they owe money, would I not be able to activate it either?

16. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    They can owe money, but the account has to be in good standing. When your bill comes every month, you owe money, it is the "in collections" status that causes trouble according to ACDT, last time I checked, and the ZERO balance is on closed accounts.

17. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Follow my directions posted above and you won't have issues. Check the three things, and if all three don't apply, don't buy it.

18. mickcris

mickcris Legend

Mar 16, 2008
    Thanks guys, so I guess I would be taking a chance if their account is in good standing. I will probably pass on this one and wait for one that is owned but no longer active.

I will follow your advice, thanks again.:)

19. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    One will come along that is just right for you. Check ebay often, I have bought them nice and cheap just by watching closely.