1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIRECTV HD Receiver with TiVo (Official Q4 2010 Thread)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Stuart Sweet, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 20, 2010 #1 of 683
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Folks, there's precious little to say about the upcoming DIRECTV TiVo-based device that hasn't already been said, but here's the thread for you to say it.

Ground Rules:
    • This is not a free-for-all. Rudeness will not be tolerated.
    • If you harp on a particular point to the exclusion of others, your posts may be deleted.

Synopsis of common arguments: (in other words, this ground's already been trodden, do we have to go there again?)

• Many people like the TiVo interface, especially the list guide.
    • Many people are equally fond of the DIRECTV interface.
    • Many people think that TiVos are easier for them to use.
    • Many people think that DIRECTV DVRs are easier for them to use.
    • Standalone TiVo devices have many features that are appealing to people.
    • No guarantee has been made that any feature from a standalone TiVo will make it to the DIRECTV TiVo.
    • The new device will run on DIRECTV hardware, although we don't know how that will work (we have some ideas).
    • TiVo, Inc. will develop the software for the device and seems to be solely responsible for the user experience.

Further, we've learned that the new TiVo for DIRECTV will not have the upgraded user experience seen in the TiVo Premiere, and since the DIRECTV HR24-500 DVR has been released, there has been some question as to what DIRECTV platform will underpin the new TiVo.

2. Oct 1, 2010 #2 of 683
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    ..and go!

3. Oct 1, 2010 #3 of 683
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    And we're a go....or not.

How can TiVo make sure it appeals to the general subscriber? Without that they're dead in the water.

Some how they have to make the current subs want to switch. I don't think it will work if they have to rely on a percentage of new subs.

Mike

4. Oct 1, 2010 #4 of 683
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    My personal belief is that it will be a bit of a flop. Hopefully the unit works well or it won't be pretty.

5. Oct 1, 2010 #5 of 683
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    What ever it is it will need to make existing subs want to switch. Without that it will be a non-starter.

Mike

6. Oct 1, 2010 #6 of 683
    trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    I'm going to be interested to see how much promotion DirecTV does for the TiVo option once it becomes available -- messages on TV Mail? Mentions in direct-mail/newspaper circulars? "Internal" TV commercials? "External" TV commercials?

7. Oct 1, 2010 #7 of 683
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Despite my criticism of TiVo, I want it to succeed. Alternatives are good if they are good. I like my current DVRs and if something is better, great. If it is almost as good or close to good, fine.

8. Oct 1, 2010 #8 of 683
    CuriousMark

CuriousMark Icon

May 21, 2008
    Quote:
    My experience is solely with the series 2 standalone DVRs. In the event of a conflict I am presented with a list of which upcoming episodes will be recorded and which will be skipped because they conflict with a higher priority show. I am then given the choice to record the series as is loosing episodes that conflict or getting all episodes which will put it at the top of the list causing the conflicting episodes of the other show to not be recorded. What I saw while trying to set up series links did not offer me that level of detail with which to make a decision. After further playing around I see I can get to that information by going to the series manager and wandering around the upcoming shows lists. So I can get what I want, it is just harder.

I was only offered the options to cancel the entire link, or at least that is what it appeared to be offering. If it was going to do what you suggest I would have expected to see an option for partial recording and I did not. After setting up some more on other channels, USA for example, I do see a third option, which does make sense.

It is different, I am figuring it out.

On another note, the new HR24 has not had any spontaneous reboots, so the first probably was a lemon.

I tried the list guide option, that is helpful, but I do wish it were the default.

So far, and it is very early days for me with the HR24, I have yet to try out any network functions for example, I think this will tide me over until the TiVo version comes out, but it has not wowed me and I will still want the TiVo version when it comes out.

9. Oct 1, 2010 #9 of 683
    pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    Agree 100%. It's been way too long for the TiVo fans to become accustomed to the HR2x and I'm sure we'll see at least one (likely more) anticipation thread too.

10. Oct 1, 2010 #10 of 683
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Judging from everything I've read in the various newsletters I subscribe to, this thread might as well have been about the 1st quarter of 2011. If we ever get to see the D* TiVo, I don't think it will before then. But...

Rich

11. Oct 1, 2010 #11 of 683
    wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    Unless I am missing it - most of the commercials I see for Directv compare thier services and nothing on the hardware, same with printed media and website ads, if they change this for the other unit it would be a interesting variance for them

12. Oct 1, 2010 #12 of 683
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I don't want TiVo to fail .. I just think the already have.

13. Oct 1, 2010 #13 of 683
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    My guess is it will simply be an MPEG-4 HR10 clone, perhaps with MRV. As a result, I believe beauty will be in the eye of the beholder. DirecTiVO holdouts will give it a :up:, but HR2x fans will ask "Where's the beef?" :shrug:

14. Oct 1, 2010 #14 of 683
    gregjones

gregjones Hall Of Fame

Sep 20, 2007
    I am in the same boat. I want it to succeed for a completely selfish reason: competitive pressure is good.

That being said, it would have to be stellar to be anything more than a minor event. I believe the real success will be in DirecTV extending an amicable licensing agreement (read lawsuit protection) through the expiration of TiVo's intellectual property. I base this off of the disappointment in the non-event that has been the TiVo Premiere. It took forever to release it and then some of its most desirable features have proven to be its greatest weaknesses.

That doesn't mean it won't be a good product but they are no longer in the driver's seat. The HR2x DVRs have far eclipsed the DirecTV TiVo in terms of total units and customers have much higher standards. DirecTV made a platform that people accepted. TiVo now has to release something good enough for them to give up what they have. That means few bugs, some impressive and unique features and pretty much every function they now have on the HR2x.

That is an uphill battle and they have very little history on their side.

15. Oct 1, 2010 #15 of 683
    smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Uhm, why? I think it is clear that this box' light of day is next year at best. Why bother? :lol: Ok, ok, the cynic in me has come out, I'm sorry. Perhaps we will get something by Christmas that will give us all confidence that we're not just dealing with a vaporware product from TiVo. I hope it is spectacular too. :D

16. Oct 1, 2010 #16 of 683
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Judging by the drop of subscribers to TiVo in it's various forms, I agree. They'd have to come up with something that would blow our socks off and I don't see that coming.

Rich

17. Oct 1, 2010 #17 of 683
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Me too. But I fear that by early 2011 there won't be much interest any more, unless the new Tivo has some sort of knock-your-socks-of features that the current HD DVRs don't provide.

18. Oct 1, 2010 #18 of 683
    sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    I have an HR20 and HR21, but my wife still uses the HR10 because she prefers the TiVo UI and feels it is also faster. I'm not so sure on the latter point, but... She's willing to stick to SD rather than use the HR2x boxes - says she "doesn't need HD", but she does enjoy the HD when she does watch it.

If the new TiVo box had come out even close to on-time, I would probably have gone for it automatically. Now, I'm unsure and will probably not be an "early adopter". A lot will depend on how much extra it costs (initially and monthly - I assume there WILL be a monthly "TiVo fee") and what it brings to the table other than the TiVo UI. Note that we do not use Suggestions and things such as KidZone and SwivelSearch have no appeal to us.

Unless the new box is very good, I may just stick with what I have until the HR10 dies and forces the issue. I'd love to have TiVo wow me here, but I'm not counting on it.

19. Oct 2, 2010 #19 of 683
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It would "wow" me just to see one.

Rich

20. Oct 2, 2010 #20 of 683
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I'm on that same page.