1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV HDTV Advice

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Scott Greczkowski, Dec 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    I have 3 co worker's who came in today and asked me the same question. All of them are currently a DirecTV subscribers.

All of them have just purchased HD Ready TV's.

All of them are looking for a HD Tuner for their TV's.

Can anone recommend some DirecTV HD Tuners to me? And if anyone can point me to any online retailers to point them too I would appreciate it.

Thanks for any help you can give!

2. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I have used two online Directv retailers, www.orbitsat.com and www.minidishes.com

Both delivered as promised, and as I haven't had any problems with my equipment, I haven't had to deal with them for problems. I have heard good things about the Samsung SIR-TS160. It is $699 at orbitsat (you may find better pricing elsewhere, this is just what I was able to find quickly) for existing customers. The Samsung receivers (both SD and HD) seem to be good products with many features that my Mitsubishi and RCA models don't have.

3. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    I have a sony SAT-HD100, but they don't make it anymore. I think they replaced it with the SAT-HD200. Mitsubishi also makes a receiver that one of my friends has. I think Hughes makes one also. I'm sure they are all made by Hughes anyway.

I found a couple on Amazon.com, just do a search for DirecTV and HDTV.

James

4. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Karl, Thanks for the quick reply, minidishes.com is not coming up (says coming soon) Any ideas on that one?

5. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Scott,

Sorry, it is www.mini-dishes.com

I forgot the hyphen.

They have the Samsung for $579.

6. openhouse

openhouse Guest

7. HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    Mini-dishes may also sell Hughes HD recv for under $500!

8. Frapp

Frapp Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    The Samsung has been on the shelf at my local Best Buy for about a month now at: $599.00 .... combine that with a 10% off coupon that B.B. regularly sends out to it`s registered customers and this price will be hard to beat.

9. AFH

AFH Legend

Nov 4, 2002
    Scott check out Sound Advice. They have the Hughes HD rcvr for I think $540. I have had that rcvr for a month now and it works pretty well.

10. davisdog

davisdog Guest

It's only for new subscribers, but magnolia hi-fi has a good in store deal on the Hughes (E86) HDTV receiver ...

$399 for the STB, Oval Dish, Installation and 3mth Free Showtime (after $100 Rebate)

11. Done

Done Guest

fdsafdas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.