1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV HR24 Can't access external drives

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by joelhe, Dec 17, 2010.

1. joelhe

joelhe New Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Update: After resetting the HR24 I was able to format the new WD drive and it is working.

I've had a 1 TB external hard drive on my HR24 working since September. The generic eSata enclosure has always caused electrical noise(AC Hum) on AM radios in my house so I purchased a Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander 1 TB USB 2.0/eSATA Desktop External Hard Drive WDBABT0010HBK-NESN* to replace the old drive.

When I followed DirecTV's instructions for adding the new drive, the unit would not recognize the drive and defaulted to the internal drive. After several tries I gave up and hooked up the old drive which it now won't recognize. Tried again several times following the instructions carefully. No joy. Cannot access any of my recordings.

As a last resort, I disconnected the old external drive and did a full system reset on the DVR, wiping our the internal drive. I then tried hooking up the old external again. The DVR still will not recognize it.

Help please, my wife is really going to be pissed when I tell her we lost all the recordings.

Thanks in advance, Joel

*Note: When I checked the box on the WD drive, it says it is compatible with HR15, 20, 21, 22 and 23 - no mention of HR24. Kind of strange since the WD drive is a new model and it does not appear to work with DirecTV's latest receiver.

2. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    I would prepare a spot on the couch until she can forgive you because you gave her oodles of xmas gifts.... ;)

When you do a full system reset on the DVR, it will "reset" the random encryption key the internal OS uses for recordings, which means you will also lose access to all recordings on an external drive that were recorded with another (previous) encryption code. In essence, disconnecting the drive, then doing s full system reset, and then reconnecting the drive is like moving the external drive from one DVR to another DVR.

Yep. DRM is a bitch.... :(

Now, that doesn't explain why the new WD drive doesn't work with the receiver of course, that might be a different problem altogether.

3. joelhe

joelhe New Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Thanks to marteena for pointing out that the situation was hopeless as far as saving the recordings on the old drive after the reset because of DRM.

After reading marteena's post, I went and retried the Western Digital drive and the HR24 formatted it and it appears the drive does work with the HR24 - at least so far.

4. djarvis12

djarvis12 New Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I just had Directv connected and have a Model: HR24 - 100 RID : 0356 9354 2918 and does any one know what Expander will work on this ?

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
  6. djarvis12

djarvis12 New Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I have a Directv HR24 - 100 receiver and I connected a Western Digital my Book External
    Hard Drive and every time I boot it up it works for a few minuits then it freezes up any one have an answeer