1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DIRECTV in contract dispute with Northwest Broadcasting

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Draconis, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Draconis

Draconis DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Of course, I found this when I was checking on the dispute with Diversified Communications. <sigh> :nono2:

http://directvpromise.com/northwest-broadcasting/

2. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Drop in the bucket..this year anyway

3. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    This has been an ongoing two-step between these parties since at least the end of 2010.
    Without a signed contract at the beginning of 2011, NW threatened to shut-off their FOX affiliates to DirecTV during the 02/2011 SuperBowl to leverage their bargaining position (all the Yakima/Tri-Cities WA DirecTV LIL was SD back then, so most DirecTV subs were picking up HD via OTA).
    NW also wanted provisions in the new contract that if they shut-off in the future, that DirecTV would waive early cancellation charges for subs who wanted to switch carriers as a result of losing FOX.
    Not surprisingly DirecTV told NW to pound Puget Sound sand.
    NW backed off from non-broadcasting the SuperBowl while negotiating an extension (think the third parties chimed in on this?), and the deal eventually got done.
    This latest "we want double the previous fees" is NW acting out because they feel they got their rears wiped the last time, have been undercompensated, and want to make up for it.
    I predict this go-around will end up the same way.

OTA works fine... at least for the primary feed which is broadcast on DirecTV LIL, the subchannel which is on the DirecTV AM21 OTA scheduler but not LIL, is flaky.

KFFX 11-2 "This TV" OTA Pendleton OR Reception Issues On HR20 & HR21/AM21