1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV Inks Current TV Deal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Chris Blount, Jul 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Current TV, the network backed by former Vice President Al Gore, said it formally signed a multi-year affiliation agreement with DirecTV, putting the channel in the satellite TV company's Total Choice programming packages. In addition to DirecTV, Current TV has carriage deals with Time Warner Cable and Comcast.

http://www.skyreport.com (Used with permission)

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Isn't this the network that will be replacing Newsworld International? (Checking http://www.current.tv/ ) Thought so. Looks like they will be launching on August 1st, and they even have a web page with news articles. A good check of news.google.com can bring up some op-ed pieces about the channel.

3. pomeroy

pomeroy Legend

Jan 2, 2005
    Whats awful news for fans of News World International :( I like that channel why change it?

4. homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004
  5. tvwatcher365

tvwatcher365 Mentor

May 24, 2005
    What is with Murdoch's obsession with crappy channels. First it was Fox Reality, then Lifetime Real Women, then Current TV. How about adding something worthwhile like Style Network & Nick GAS both available by Dish Network & virtually every major cable company..

6. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    "15 second to 5 minute segments that run throughout the day" - Just what our ADD youth need. Who needs any serious, in-depth discussions anyway. :rolleyes:

"Current Hottie" segment - Seems we're going to see some important, pressing issues that face our youth discussed anyway. :rolleyes:

"Cause of the Day" - 'fair and balanced' I'm sure. :rolleyes:

7. tvwatcher365

tvwatcher365 Mentor

May 24, 2005
    I bet that this network will be gone in a few years... After all Al Gore fails at everything he does and this idea doesn't seem too great. Heck I'm still considered a kid I guess and I have more than a 5 minute attention span...

8. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Yet another channel that I will be removing from the "Channels I Receive" list. And, this isn't a new channel, it's a conversion of an existing channel.... something along the lines of The Nashville Network -> The National Network -> Spike.

It would be interesting to compare this to Dish's PI channel "Free Speech TV"...

9. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    According to OregonLive, it's a 10 year carriage agreement.

10. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    No, it's more like ZDNet -> TechTv -> G4TechTV -> G4... except for missing a couple of steps in its downward spiral.

11. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    A solution in search of a problem. Much like Mr. Gore himself.

12. lee1203

lee1203 AllStar

Jul 14, 2005
    WOW :eek2: 10 YEARS

13. mattsarz

mattsarz AllStar

Jan 14, 2005
    The network's demographic according to the press kid is 18-34, which in my mind translates to the high school senior who may be voting for the first time, college kids, recent grads, and those who may be just starting a family. Young adults in a nutshell.

It doesn't appear, at least from the press kit to be a complete politics-only channel, but a mish-mash of other topics (entertainment news, tech news, etc.).

I'll give it a chance, but if I'm not interested, I'll skip past it. I don't block channels I'm not interested in because every so often there is something that can catch your eye.

14. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    From SF Gate:

Gore's network wants to change TV's focus
    Cable venue for young journalists' short, cheap videos

While the official name is Current, the new San Francisco cable channel is known to many as the Al Gore Network, with all attention focused on the man who came oh-so-close to becoming president and is now trying to reinvent himself as a television mogul.

But even with a former vice president puttering in the China Basin building, Current may be remembered as the first channel to take advantage of the plummeting costs of consumer electronics and editing software. It's finally economically feasible for the young, poor and disenfranchised to tell their own stories, and Gore and his fellow investors are betting $70 million that their target demographic of 18- to 34-year-old viewers will tune in to watch them.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

15. Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU Legend

Jan 28, 2004
    Ocean...
    First came FauxNews...

16. lastmanstanding

lastmanstanding Godfather

Mar 22, 2003
    Did you know that he is on the Board of Directors with Google and I think Apple as well? Not whattcha know. . .

LMS

17. ChrisPC

ChrisPC Godfather

Jun 16, 2003
    I just saw NWI shut down. The reporters signed off, then the channel switched to Current. BTW, it's calling itself Google Current.

Then, ten seconds later, D* accidentally switched to A&E, and then put up a technical difficulty slide.

18. Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis Godfather

Dec 28, 2003
    "Google Current" was actually just the name of the show. The technical difficulties must have been on Current's end, since the same Current show started over again as soon as DirecTV took down its slide.

Then I promptly deleted the channel from my favorites list. I might've given it a chance if they hadn't killed off one of my favorite channels. Goodbye, NWI.

19. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Selected paragraphs (some which make be taken out of context) from The Globe and Mail:

Gore TV hits airwaves Monday

Current's relationships with cutting-edge content providers haven't been completely smooth.

The initial enthusiasm that Josh Wolf, a 23-year-old filmmaker from San Francisco, felt for Current has cooled. Last year Current said it was going to hire 200 video journalists and give them low-cost equipment. Some 2,000 people applied, but Current abandoned the plan, causing some bad blood, he said.

Current is also requiring its filmmakers to sign an agreement giving the network three months' exclusive use of material it has accepted for air. Leaders of the rapidly growing video blogging community have resisted, Mr. Wolf said. Those filmmakers most likely to fill Current's stable of independent contributors don't want to be told they can't use their best material on their own Web sites.

Only about 25 per cent of Current's initial material is truly audience-generated; the rest has been done by staff members or solicited from professionals. That's disappointingly small to some people who bought into Current's utopian visions; Mr. Neuman said he expects more amateur contributions once the network is established.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

A similar story appears in The Washington Post.

20. missileman

missileman Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 28, 2004
    I've watched a little of the new network this morning. I am not impressed. I really liked the former news channel at that slot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.