1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DirecTV installer arrested for allegedly stealing bulldog puppy from subscriber's hom

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DirectMan, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Apr 1, 2013 #1 of 17
    DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
  2. Apr 1, 2013 #2 of 17
    celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    I was just about to post this.Too bad you just cant trust anybody these days. I'm glad the people got their dog back! and hopefully directv will can figure out a way to verify new employees ID'S.

3. Apr 1, 2013 #3 of 17
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Unfortunate situation, thankfully rare.

Happy customer got the puppy back.

In many years of TV work have only encountered one instance of a sat tech walking off with something. In that case, the item was returned and no charges were filed. I happened to be at customers home when deputy returned the item and everyone was very relieved incident was resolved.

Tech apparently did not realize item was valued well over $5000, and as it turns out, authorities managed to contact his wife first. Apparently they were able to 'plausibly find' the item in the equipment cardboard boxes he had piled in his garage. Item 'supposedly' had fallen off dresser or TV stand or end table into packing materials and was 'inadvertantly' carried off.

Deputy related when he went to tech's home to retrieve the item the installer, who was home by then, had an 'overwrought' and 'hammy' reaction to the 'accident'.

Glad that resolved, but it made me wonder if tech had done it before.

4. Apr 1, 2013 #4 of 17
    JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    I'm sure DirecTV verified their identity to hire them. The bottom line is that there are idiots and bad people in the world that will do stupid and bad things. Companies the size of DirecTV or Dish or Comcast or Walmart or Target will always have a few bad stories like this come up.

5. Apr 1, 2013 #5 of 17
    n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
  6. Apr 1, 2013 #6 of 17
    inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    Scumbag Steve?
    [​IMG]

7. Apr 1, 2013 #7 of 17
    west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Not necessarily, if he was a sub-contractor then DTV hires the subcontractor and they are responsible for hiring their own techs. Usually they do this properly and submit background checks and drug test but every now and then you get "ghost techs" running under someone else's name that has already passed a background check and such and may have left or never even started in some cases.

8. Apr 1, 2013 #8 of 17
    acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Luckily the customer had a security camera (or a surveillance camera nearby) at his residence, Who knows if they would have found out if it was the installer or someone else.

9. Apr 1, 2013 #9 of 17
    acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I would be devastated if they took that cute puppy from me, as i just saw the picture at the bottom of the article.

10. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Cute dog!

11. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    An "undocumented and recently deported felon". Great.

I'm glad I installed my DirecTV system myself and know how to maintain it.

1 person likes this.
  12. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    I hope this helps clear up why some people would rather not have strangers roaming around in their house.

13. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I had a friend who had their bulldog stolen and I was unsure why some jerk like the one in the article would steal one. Then, I found out how expensive they are!

14. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Always wanted one of them. Wife and son have terrible allergies and we can only have dogs that don't shed. Westies, Poodles, Bichons, that sort of dog. We settled on Westies, but I sure would like a bulldog.

Rich

15. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You can get them cheaper than that from breeders. Go to a puppy store and you'll pay top price. We're looking for another Westie and they go from ~ $600 to as much as $3,000, or close to it.

I had more problems with the Westie I bought at a breeders than one I bought at a store. Yeah, the breeder was half what I paid at a puppy store, but the one I got from the puppy store has been much healthier. Simply put, it seems like a crap shoot anywhere you buy the puppy.

Rich

16. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    What an idiot this guy is!!!!

Im glad they got thier dog back!

17. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    what in the hell? What an arse