1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Directv International CCTV 9

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jamieh1, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Apr 4, 2011 #1 of 11
    jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    Im interested in CCTV 9 but its on the Directv international dish. Will Directv let me get a free Int dish to get CCTV 9 without subscribing to a international package.

2. Apr 5, 2011 #2 of 11
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    No.

3. mnassour

mnassour Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Ummm...actually, I just did.

I called them up and said I wanted access to MHZ networks and CCTV9. Out came the guy, mounted the second dish on a pole and that was that.

It's the only way on US TV to watch Al Jazeera news.

Now I DO have the protection plan and was asking for access to a channel that I had in my package (MHZ) but could not get due to an equipment limitation. MHZ is a PI channel, so everyone should have access to it as long as they have the second dish.

4. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    I don't have international programming, but I fought em for it and got an "international" dish for free. Reason was simple: There were several music channels on a satellite that could only be received by a 5-LNB dish, such as the Irish music channel, and the Holiday channel. Since the Irish music channel is only available in Choice Ultra and up, I told them that if I pay for the channel, I should be able to receive the channel. After talking to a supervisor, he agreed. The Dish install was $49, and he charged me that on a credit card, while at the same time giving me a $49 credit on my bill.

I could live with that.

When the guy showed up, he was a SPANISH speaking installer wanting to install a "SPANISH" dish. :D - Because here in SoCal, you need the same dish to receive the Spanish programming, and there are a lot of Latinos here. :D

If you play your cards right, and pay for a certain channel, you can get the Dish upgrade for free.

5. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I have a Roku and Al Jazeera is on 24/7.

6. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    I don't even need to purchase a separate box for that. The DirecTV box is DLNA compatible, and with TVersity (free) or PlayOn.TV (trial but paid) on a PC, you can stream the same things to your DirecTV box without having to change HDMI input. Can play divx/h.264/avi as well, and at the same time still control your DirecTV guide to record stuff. (Or to check if both recordings are done).

I have been enjoying BBC World News through it. Would be better if DirecTV just offers it though, its not an expensive HD channel.

7. calgary2800

calgary2800 Godfather

Aug 26, 2006
    CCVT9 is a cool channel. When I had dishnetwork it was free on any package.

8. Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Godfather

Oct 14, 2004
    Northern...
    It used to be free on DirecTv (well still is) it used to be on 119 Sat

9. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    D* is missing a real service to investors by not offering CCTV9 to the broad base of subscribers. Biz China made money for me just with their original interviews with the founder of Baidu.

10. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    What satellite is CCTV-9 on? If you get a dish for it, how do you program your receiver to get it since an SD receiver can only receive 101, 110, and 119 (I think)... :confused:

11. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You got an LNB swap. Big difference between that an an additional dish, which also comes with switch considerations (International won't work with a SWM LNB, for example).