1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIRECTV iPhone & Android App update includes QR Code Scanner

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Greg Alsobrook, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    DIRECTV updated their iPhone application today to version 2.0.1. The app now contains a QR code scanner to set recordings.

Other platforms may have been updated as well. Feel free to chime in and let us know.

Also curious if anyone has seen any QR Codes yet to test this out?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Nothing in the Market, yet.

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    This release also added ESPN 3D, channel 106, to the guide info, it was missing in prior releases.

4. zudy

zudy Legend

Jul 22, 2009
    What are QR Codes?

5. h4b1t

h4b1t AllStar

Dec 29, 2005
    Mine advised me of the update yesterday afternoon. Still waiting on Remote DVR management. :D

6. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Its the matrix barcodes[link].

7. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    [​IMG]

Note: This is an example of a QR Code (not a DirecTV QR Code) - you will get an error if you attempt to scan this code with the DirecTV App.

There is an APP for your Iphone from AT&T which not only reads QR Codes but will allow you to generate your very own QR Code. If you use the AT&T APP with the code above, it will link you to a Wikipedia Page on inedible fungus..

8. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Yes, I saw a QR Code in a Sony insert in Sundays paper, but haven't tested it.

9. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    The more things change, the more they stay the same -- about 20 years ago, Panasonic VCRs came with a bar code reader for setting the timer, and they signed a deal with ABC to put bar codes in their ads in TV Guide (which lasted for about a year).

10. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I had one of those, came with a little wand for scanning the codes. It also had a sheet with codes for all the different days/times/channels so if you didn't have a premade code for a program you couls manually scan those vs. inputting them via the panel/remote. Never really did take off, too bad it was a nice idea.

11. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The big difference of course is that with the iPhone App, this is just software (and print) .. heck, you could probably just scan it off of the web page. Seems like something relatively easy to add now vs. 20 years back as the costs are significantly lower at this point.

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Waaaay simpler than such attempts in the past. But still a bit unusual for me to read of a movie or 'event' in a magazine, and then want to order it right away.

But who knows? I will probably use it tomorrow, in fact, will, if I see something to test. [I tried fluffy's image, but wasn't accepted as a "proper bar code", or words to that effect.]

13. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    What was the mouse like scanner - I think Radio Shack sold them or gave them away - 'CopyCat'? - 15 or 20 years ago to read barcodes in magazines or newspapers? Didn't last a year. . .

but again, like Doug said, things like this for the smartphones are software and becoming ubiquitous - a $20 word for everywhere.

Fluffy's code sends you to Today's Featured article on Wiki.

14. Draconis

Draconis New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'm curious, does anyone have a working QR code? I have tried with the one posted here by fluffybear (and others) and cannot find one that it will read.

[​IMG]

15. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Update now in the Android Market....now the hunt for QR code begins.

16. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    The one I posted was just an example of what a QR Code looks like.. Yes, the code does not work with DirecTV (I have yet to find any that will) but if you use the AT&T scanner APP, the code should take you to a Wikipedia page on inedibe type of fungus (or at least that is where it took me when I tried it)

17. menkelis

menkelis AllStar

Jun 26, 2007
    Just a note on the "scanner" option. It only works on IOS 4
    Those with older Iphones can not use this feature.

18. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Reminds me of the microwave I used to have. I could scan barcodes off boxes and the microwave would know how long to cook the item for. :lol:

19. pappy97

pappy97 Icon

Nov 14, 2009
    Does this update give you the opportunity to add time to a live sports recording like you can easily do and are automatically prompted to do on your DVR?

20. richzilla

richzilla Cool Member

Jan 18, 2008
    Iowa
    That would be huge....I've been waiting for that feature as well :)