1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIRECTV iPhone App RC v1.0.2 - Issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - iPhone Field Trial (private)' started by Doug Brott, Mar 2, 2009.

I download this version and am now testing

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  3. No comment

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 2, 2009 #1 of 45
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles

Please keep all posts in this thread to issues only. You may, of course, open a discussion thread for other discussion, constructive criticism, and problem solving, but this thread is monitored by DIRECTV for bug reporting only. All off-topic posts and discussion will be deleted.

We ask that you keep polite and focused within this thread, and post as much detail as possible. If your receiver is set up for network issue reporting, please post the key generated by the receiver (For more information, click here.) Please note your full model number and manufacturer on every post (e.g. HR20-700, R22-100).

*** IMPORTANT ***
    Please download and test this release in the next day or two
    Timely testing of this application is very important to DIRECTV

CE Download

Installation Instructions

Your iPhone or iTouch must be at software version 2.2.1 or higher for this build.

To install the application:

• Start iTunes
    • Drag the Provision file into iTunes Applications
    • Drag the DTViPhone.app folder into iTunes Applications
    • Sync your device

Note: If you already have a version of the application on your device, you will have to UNINSTALL it first. Click on the application tab and then UNINSTALL.

2. Mar 2, 2009 #2 of 45
    Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The build is specific to the people of the trial, it can not be installed on units that are not authorized in the profile. The UDID that you submitted is what was used.

You cannot change to another device. If you had a typo in your UDID or want to use another device, you will have to wait until general release.

3. Mar 2, 2009 #3 of 45
    SockMonkey

SockMonkey Icon

Aug 14, 2006
    Was still able to get listings for a time in the past by doing the following:

1) Select browse by date & time.
    2) Leave the date set to "Today"
    3) Scroll down the list to an earlier time and keep your finger holding the time into the selector bar.
    4) With the other hand, tap the "Get Listings" button.

You'll end up with something like the first attached image. Notice the time on my device and the time the listings start. I was able to set up a recording (second screen shot).

Bob

Attached Files:

4. Mar 2, 2009 #4 of 45
    VLaslow

VLaslow Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    My search on Bogart worked with no duplicates. Scheduling ok. I like it. Sorry I had no issues. (thus far).

5. Mar 2, 2009 #5 of 45
    LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I downloaded the new version and installed without incident. After logging in I went into Settings to change to Channels I Get . . . the app became unresponsive for 15 - 20 seconds while network activity was going on through the 3G connection. After a few moments I got an error message apologizing for technical issues. I forgot to grab a screen cap but I think it's the same screen we've seen posted by others. Anyway, I was able to exit the app, relaunch it and set Channels I Get with no problems the second time.

6. Mar 2, 2009 #6 of 45
    SockMonkey

SockMonkey Icon

Aug 14, 2006
    Found an issue with programs not available via the browse by date/time. I had started a post in the discussion thread to give kudos for the new "left arrow" showing a program that started in the previous time slot. However, I quickly found the problem of some shows that got left out and figured I'd just post a link to post over there. Screen shots are included.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2017801#post2017801

Bob

7. Mar 2, 2009 #7 of 45
    johern

johern Legend

Jan 18, 2007
    "The Mentalist" on Tuesday 3/3 starts at 8PM and is 61 minutes long. In the guide at 9PM "The Mentalist" shows with the new left arrow but "Without A Trace" which starts at 9:01 PM does not show in the 9 PM block. It does show in the 9:30 block with a left arrow.

8. Mar 2, 2009 #8 of 45
    Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I suspect that this is one of those "future consideration" items ..

9. Mar 2, 2009 #9 of 45
    johern

johern Legend

Jan 18, 2007
    The "Show Channels I Get" setting has no effect on the display in the Date/Time Guide

10. LameLefty

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    It does for me, at least for premiums. See attached screenshot:

Attached Files:

11. johern

johern Legend

Jan 18, 2007
    I only did a spot check and used channels 80, 82, 86, and 88 The "Channels I get" setting has no effect on the display of these channels.

12. LameLefty

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Browsing by Date/Time on those DNS channels gives me this. You will notice they are grayed out as they should be. This is the same I get for sports channels too. Now, Browse by Channel shows them un-grayed, but if you select the channel, all programs that come up ARE grayed out. Is this what you're seeing?

Attached Files:

13. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Icon

Aug 14, 2006
    That's the same thing I see.

14. johern

johern Legend

Jan 18, 2007
    Yes that is what I see

15. SrLANGuy

SrLANGuy AllStar

Oct 15, 2006
    NOTE: I'm still on RC v1.0.1, but I plan on upgrading to RC v1.0.2 this evening.

The app works great when I'm at home using my Wi-Fi connection, but I have problems logging in when I'm at work in my office building. I know my 3G connection isn't very strong, but I can open Safari and access websites, so I know I have Internet connectivity.

At work, I launch the app and after waiting a little while, I get the message "Incorrect E-Mail/Password Combination". I know the information is correct because the app automatically logs me in at home. Even if I retype the info, it usually fails a few more times before it finally decides to work. It appears that if you have any kind of connectivity issue when you launch the app and it's trying to login, you get the "Incorrect E-Mail/Password Combination", even if it's a connectivity problem.

16. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Here's something I just found while doing the "partial title" search that tcusta00 had tried previously:

If you type "Terminator", you'll get the expected results.

If you type "Terminator", but accidentally put a space at the end, you'll still get the expected results.

If you type "Term", you'll get results including "Terminator".

If you type "Term", but accidentally put a space at the end, you'll still get the expected results

If you type "Termi", you'll get the expected results.

But if you type "Termi", and accidentally put a space at the end, you'll get an error: "a search error occurred please try again".

So it seems an accidental space behind a word won't burn you as long as it's a word in the "dictionary".

17. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Icon

Aug 14, 2006
    Some more minor issues I have discovered this afternoon...

1) On the recording confirmation screen, the "Program Info" button at the top is rectangular and probably should have the pointed side on the left to show that it goes back. This button already exists on the screen where you actually set the recording. See attached screen shots.

2) Doing a search for "letter" in an attempt to find "The Late Show with David Letterman" yielded no results for the show. I did get other results, but none for Letterman. Simply typing the full "letterman" into the search box got me the results I wanted.

3) After trying the search for "letter", I then typed "letterman" into the search box while viewing the search results and submitted the search from there. After viewing a program's details, returning to the search returned me to the search results for "letter"... NOT my latest search for "letterman." Seems the search is being cached somewhere and not being replaced on subsequent searches.

The key to number 3 is to do a search, then search again right from the results screen. Do not go back to the main search page. Also, this does not seem to happen every time. I can not always recreate it, but it has happen on a number of occasions. So, one try may not recreate it, but it does happen.

Bob

Attached Files:

18. SteveHas

SteveHas Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2007
    when I searched for shows by title and entered
    "relig"
    I got
    "Religulous"
    67 listings
    when I selected the folder
    I see multiple listings all labeled as
    "NODATA"
    searching for
    "The Simpsons"
    I got
    "Challenge"
    2listings
    and
    second
    The Simpsons
    991 Listings

No HD icon on HD episode

Recording a live show from phone took 5 seconds - very impressive!

really need to hide SD duplicates to improve usability

19. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    So far so good. Things I had some problems with in the prior release are not giving me problems now.

Could search for programs, including NHL game on RSN, and have them appear in the To Do list.

Duplicate results seem to be gone.

There are still inconsistencies in search results. A search for CSI will only yield CSI:Miami and CSI:NY when searching by "Program Title" alone, you must also include "Description" with "Program Title" to get all 3 CSI's

I'm guessing the inconsistent search results are related to guide data and how the fields are populated, but seeing how the program titles used to label the results folders all contain the search term used, I'm not sure why using the "Program Title" alone would not give me full results.

Pic 1 = Search results for CSI, only Program Title field selected
    Pic 2 = Search results for CSI, Program Title and Description selected

Also, enabling more options changes the search results sort - just an observation I made when searching for Stars to see if I could schedule an NHL game to record.

Pic 3 & 4 = Search for Stars, Program Title only
    Pic 5 = Search for Stars, Program Title and Episode Title
    Pic 6 = Search for Stars, Program Title, Episode Title and Description
    Search results for Stars, Program Title, Episode Title and Description selected

Attached Files:

20. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Same for me:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2017822#post2017822

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.