1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DIRECTV iPhone App Update Available (2.5.0 - May 15, 2013)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Athlon646464, May 15, 2013.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    What's New in Version 2.5.0

Search and discover entertainment with the power of your voice.
    - Just talk as you would to a person and the app finds what you’re looking for.
    - Search for programs by mentioning title, channel, keyword, actor, time frame, genre and more.
    - Switch to TV mode to see your dialogue and search results on your TV screen. HD DVR (HR24+) required. Your phone and HD DVR must be connected to same Wi-Fi network.
    - See personalized recommendations as soon as you switch to TV mode.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/directv/id307386350?mt=8

[​IMG]

2. hancox

hancox Godfather

Jun 23, 2004
    Any more of this "HR24+"-type restriction showing up is going to make me require an HR24+ at every set.

3. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Turns out you can voice search and schedule a recording on any HR2x, using your iPhone display. You can only optionally view Voice Control search results on an HR24- or Genie-connected display, however.

In case folks missed it, there's a Voice Control "First Look" here: http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/203845-dbstalk-first-look-directv-voice-control/#entry3124065

and a cool video demo here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92RBvcr0jLw&feature=player_embedded

4. hancox

hancox Godfather

Jun 23, 2004
    Yes, I get that, but D*'s insistence that the HR2x's are all equivalent was merely annoying before. It's now getting a bit silly...

5. videoboy77

videoboy77 Cool Member

Aug 13, 2008
    This is a cute demo but it's so slow and clunky I won't ever use it.

Why doesn't the iphone app have the remote control feature the iPad app has? That seems easy to do.

6. badgerdog

badgerdog New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    I cannot get the iPhone app to listen to me (same situation with my wife but that is for a different forum).

When I tap the screen and start speaking, the app returns immediately with:
    <inaudible> and "Sorry, I didn't quite get that. Please try again." (or a similar message passively indicating failure).

I am using an iPhone 4s on wifi and have tried the function with and without Jawbone headset.

Any tips?
    [​IMG]

7. Linxs

Linxs Cool Member

Aug 1, 2011
    I didn't hear the voice feedback thats in the video. I found it in settings to turn it on and oddly enough its not using a man's voice. Its using Siri's voice.

8. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I'm also hearing her on my iPhone 4, which is not a Siri-supported device. Could be her voice file is a stock feature of iOS that developers can utilize.

9. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I'm getting a mixture of male / Siri responses.

10. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Siri's voice is also the navigation voice in the Waze(tm) app if you do not change from defaults. Waze(tm) works on non-siri devices as well. I think its a stock voice.

Anyway this app is nice. Good feature that can make searching a tad bit faster than triple tap.

11. Swanni

Swanni New Member

May 5, 2013
    North beach
    I used Voice Search for about 10 minutes today; found it inconsistent, but intriguing. Like Apple's Siri, it can get frustrating if you search for terms with long names, etc. But it does well with short names, etc., like 'Find Tom Cruise.'
    Here's my review:
    http://www.tvpredictions.com/dvoice051513.htm

12. Swanni

Swanni New Member

May 5, 2013
    North beach
    @directvservice just tweeted that improvements are coming...

13. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Anyone try it with their iphone jailbroken and using xcon? the DirecTV app is working currently as xcon just released an update recently. I am not going to update the app and have it not work again.

14. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Same here

15. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Works perfectly fine with JB and XCON.

16. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    It's a little hard to control the on screen results when swiping on the iPhone. I notice I overshoot quite often. It's a little touchy. Though the GUI animation is nice. Cover flow would have been cool to see on the TV, but it works. I thought you were supposed to be able to tell it to turn to a channel? I said turn to channel 6 and it just showed me programs scheduled on channel 6. I said "ESPN" hoping it would offer to tune to ESPN ; useful if you don't remember the number. Nope... It just showed programs that air on ESPN. I then said "Disney junior". It said no matches found.

17. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Yes, works fine with latest version on xcon

18. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I've used 'Change to Channel 2 0 2 ' instead of tune. . .

19. MrLatte

MrLatte Legend

Aug 18, 2007
    I had the exact same experience when I was on 4G/LTE. Once I was on the same Wi-Fi network it started working.

20. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Ya, the voice feature only works in the same network as your DVR