1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv is gonna lose alot of Custumers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by brykc14, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brykc14

brykc14 Legend

Jun 14, 2004
    Check this out .......

Some DirecTV customers missing local channels

An apparent breakdown in communication has left some Louisville-area DirecTV customers without their local TV channels.

"Totally, out of the blue, as of (Thursday) evening, I had no local channels," said Gary Urban, a La Grange resident and DirecTV customer. He said he called a DirecTV phone number and was told it would be mid-September before he could expect a service call. "I'm lucky to get one local channel (WAVE-3) on the antenna — and it's fuzzy."

Urban said he's still furious. "I just think it's outrageous to expect a customer to wait in excess of a month for them to take care of a problem that they obviously knew about far in advance."

Robert Mercer, a DirecTV spokesman in El Segundo, Calif., said the satellite TV provider moved eight of its local channel markets to a new satellite and notified customers several weeks ahead of the switch that they would need to make an appointment to get upgraded dishes installed to receive signals from the new satellite.

Urban and a still undetermined number of other customers never got the word.

Mercer said customers who called yesterday will get service by Sept. 1, but he could not say how many Louisville-area service calls had been received since Thursday night. However, since customers usually receive same-day or next-day service when ordering local channels, Mercer said the Sept. 1 date "tells me we obviously have a backlog."

Customers were notified through messages sent through their television sets, direct mail and telephone calls, Mercer said. "The last thing we want is to have someone lose their local channels ... but if they're not going to respond, there isn't much we can do."

Mercer, citing "competitive reasons," would not disclose how many customers DirecTV has in the Louisville area. However, officials at cable provider Insight Communications acknowledged the company lost 13,000 customers in 2003's second quarter to its satellite competitors after announcing a price increase.

DirecTV is buying the primary assets of Pegasus Communications Corp.'s satellite-TV unit, including the rights to Louisville-area DirecTV subscribers activated through that company. Pegasus Satellite Television filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy in June, shortly after DirecTV ended a distribution deal with Pegasus.

Although the two companies were recent opponents in litigation, Mercer said fallout from those issues was not a factor in the loss of local channels.

"It's all a technical issue," he said, noting that Pegasus customers were notified of the need to upgrade their dishes. While DirecTV could not use Pegasus' proprietary database to contact customers, Mercer said those customers were reached through on-screen display messages on their TV sets. "We got permission from Pegasus to do that," he said.

Pegasus officials referred questions to a spokeswoman in Virginia who did not respond to a phone message and e-mail seeking comment.

As for Urban, he's not waiting for a service call. He said he'll be a Dish Network subscriber as of Sunday.

http://www.courier-journal.com/business/news2004/08/21/D1-directv21-4318.html

2. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    With all of the idiot channels that tout how to use a remote and such, DirecTV should have had a channel to tell people.

3. shy007

shy007 Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 11, 2003
    I agree with you on that...... I guess channel 999 kinda said that when it said Louisville would need a 3 phase satellite in the future..... It didn't say when it was needed but it did say it.... But if you are getting locals, I guess you have no reason to look at 999.....

4. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    It appears that some installers may be to blame for this as well.

I am hearing many of the problems are from some installers using a non-cascadable switch with the Phase III dish w/ built in multi-switch. If anyone can recall, the integrated LNB's were phased in early last year, at about the time that DirecTV started to service the 8 markets from the 101 slot.

5. Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Plus, most of the Louisville market is/was Pegasus territory, including La Grange in Oldham County.

6. missileman

missileman Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 28, 2004
    Well, I think it's stupid for a lazy consumer to wait until he's lost his locals before taking care of a problem which he knew about in advance. I do not believe these customers were not informed that their locals were going to be switched...... :nono:

7. brykc14

brykc14 Legend

Jun 14, 2004
    Well seeing that it would of been Pegasus territory.. I do believe that the guy may have never recieved a letter. Anyone who has Pegasus knows how they are.

8. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Looks like a Pegasus issue not Direct TV, blame them.

DIrect should now over night air new dishes to each how and fly in some call center level 3 techs to make it right, they could all be up by Monday.

9. missileman

missileman Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 28, 2004
    True......It would be great client service......

10. Combow

Combow AllStar

Aug 8, 2004
    WOW it's not like Louisville has a lager population.

11. alebowgm

alebowgm Hall Of Fame

Jun 12, 2004
    What satellite dish is it that the locals got moved to?

12. Montezuma58

Montezuma58 AllStar

May 24, 2004
    According to Nielson, the Louisville DMA has 624,470 TV households or 0.576% of the total US TV households. That probably puts the number of DirecTV customers in the Louisville area in the neighborhood of 75,000. The big question is how many of those customers did not get upgraded in time. And how many of the people that did not get upgraded will be mad enough to drop DirecTV.

13. Buckett

Buckett Cool Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Actually, Louisville does have a "lager" population.

14. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    I wonder how many customers in Louisville got the news but either threw the letters away or didn't read the information. A major company that depends on subscribers isn't going to let tens of thousands of them lose coverage with the risk of making them angry enough to drop the service.

Announcements like this are planned many months in advance to ensure that customers are completely aware of what's happening.

15. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    It appears that it probably is nowhere near "tens of thousands". The customers that are having issues more than likely fall into three categories:

1) those without multi-sat/multi-LNB equipment. DirecTV spent a lot of energy telling these customers they needed to upgrade. DirecTV told these customers when they first signed up for local service that they'd need to upgrade to the multi-sat equipment.

2) those with line of sight issues. Some installers may not have worried about the customer not being able to receive 119 while setting up the tri-LNB dish.

3) those with equipment issues, i.e., a non-cascadable multi-switch was added to the configuration, thus rendering 119 useless.

16. brykc14

brykc14 Legend

Jun 14, 2004
    What everyone has to understand is. This was done through Pegasus not Directv. Yes Directv may have informed their customers, but Pegasus did not. If I didnt come on to these forums I still wouldnt know that our locals where up. Our Locals came on June 24th and to this day I have yet to recieve a letter telling me they are on and I can recieve them, much less that I needed a new Phase 3 system. That is why I will be so glad when Directv finally takes over and Pegasus is history.

17. ramcm7

ramcm7 Legend

Aug 1, 2002
    Where can I find demographic information on a city-by-city breakdown of lager populations versus pilsner, ale, or other hops-and-barley-based populations?

:goodjob:

18. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    Adelphia did something similar last fall when they stopped having the 1 HBO/Cinemax/Showtime channels on the analog system and you had to have a digital box to get any of them. A lot of customers just thought it was an advertisement, and threw it away when it came in the mail. Their only advantage was that they have a local office, but the line was seriously long. One of the best things they could have ever done for my install business. They pissed off so many people that we were busy for weeks just switching customers from cable. Gotta love it.

19. urnote96

urnote96 Legend

Jun 22, 2004

Yeah Midco did the same thing. Pissed a lot of people off with doing that.

20. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    DirecTV is now losing at 5 more customers that I know of in the Roanoke VA market area. Several of my family had the local channels, and none of them received ANY notification that their locals would be moved to another sat. They tuned in one day and they were just gone. When they called they were told they would have to get a new oval dish. Fine. Installers came out and 2 of them were told that there was no location available to receive the 2nd sat signal, 1 was told he would have to cut down all the trees in his back yard, and two were told they would have to put the dish either on the front of their house or smack in the middle of the front lawn on a pole. None of those are acceptable.

So, they're all now looking at switching over to Dish since with Dish their Roanoke locals are still on the main satellite.

DirecTV screwed up bigtime, I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.