1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Directv is turning my screen green, any help?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by abenjami, Jun 15, 2012.

1. abenjami

abenjami Cool Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Here is my situation...

I have had Directv for years. I have 2 HD DVR's, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. They are both somewhat newer boxes (HR-22 and an HR-23).

Everything has worked fine until about 3 weeks ago. All of a sudden, my living room TV screen turns green when I change channels. The audio stays fine but the screen only shows green. I can still see the images clearly, they are just all green, as if someone is holding a green piece of tint over it.

My TV is a Toshiba DLP. It's about 8 years old and seems to be running just fine. I don't have any problems with it except for this green screen thing. I am running an HDMI connection from the D* box to the TV.

When the screen turns green, I can fix it by either doing a red button reset or changing the input on my TV from the HDMI input to another input, and then back to the HDMI one. Obviously this fix is annoying every time I change channels.

I do not have any issues when using my PS3 on the same TV. And both D* boxes do not have this problem in the bedroom hooked up to a newer LCD screen.

At first, I thought maybe I had a bad cable. So I did a few cable swaps. No dice.

Then I figured it must be the D* box. I've already had one crap out on me and had to swap it out. So I swapped the living room box with the bedroom box. Again, no dice, still green screen whenever I change channels.

In other words, as far as I can tell, all of my equipment is just fine on its own. But all of a sudden i'm having a compatibility issue with Directv and my TV.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It's probably the HDMI handshake issue in recent software versions that they are working on.

3. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    green/pink tinted screen = hdmi cable.....if not then try another rcvr if you have one to rule out the TV

4. abenjami

abenjami Cool Member

Aug 29, 2008
    See my post... Already tried those options.

5. abenjami

abenjami Cool Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. So basically it's a D* software issue and the fix is waiting for a new software release?

6. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    ahhh my reading comprehension was a little low yesterday

7. gary s

gary s Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 30, 2003
    We have a mitsubishi dlp tv, I believe, hooked up to dishnetwork that gets a green screen occasionally. A reboot of the tv by holding the power button in for about 10 seconds fixes it.

I don't know if your tv can be rebooted but I imagine it can. Don't know if yours would reboot the same way as ours, by holding the power button in, but you might try it or consult your manual or call toshiba to find out.

8. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Does it happen every single time you change the channel? (if so, ack, that's awful.)

My DVR used to occasionally have the pink problem. One fix was to cycle through the resolution mode by hitting the RES button on the front of the DVR. But you don't want to have to do that every time you change the channel.

9. abenjami

abenjami Cool Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Just about every time. Cycling through the resolutions sometimes works to fix it too. It's as if you have to do something to reset the HDMI handshake by changing resolutions, inputs, etc.

10. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    Try a RGB cable and see what happens.

11. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    the fix should be coming very soon via a software download.

12. abenjami

abenjami Cool Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Works fine. No green screen.

13. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    You may be able to turn off native and just have the receiver upscale everything to 1080i for now to help keep it from happening. Then you can turn native back on when the new firmware is out if it fixes it (assuming you prefer having native on, personally I dont' see enough of a difference in picture quality to deal with the longer channel changes).

14. abenjami

abenjami Cool Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Tried that too and it didn't work. Sounded like a great idea too.