1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv just told me HR20’s are having internet connection problems system-wide?!?!?!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jerryzman, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerryzman

jerryzman Cool Member

Feb 19, 2008
    I am trying to get the On-Demand service and I hooked up my HR20-100 to my broadband connection. My HR20 tells me I am connected to the system but not to the internet – Error (12). So the tech help desk guy just told me they got a memo recently that many HR20’s are having internet connection issues and they are working on it. He blamed this on the fact that On-Demand is in a beta phase. Sounds like BS to me.

I just found this site and I gotta say you guys are very knowledgeable and passionate about this stuff. I did a search and found Spanky_Partains’s post “Step-by-Step Router/Bridge Network Configuration Doc”. Tons of info in there. The problem is, it’s way over my head. I’m your typical “not real tech-savvy guy” and I’m trying to make heads or tails of this stuff. I don’t even know what a bridge is or what DHCP stands for. If anyone would take a stab at solving my problem I would be very grateful.

Here’s what I have:

SBC Yahoo DSL – 1500kbps service
    Speedstream 5260 modem
    Netgear FS605 5 – Port Fast Ethernet Switch 10/100 Mbps
    Netgear XE102G Wall-Plugged Ethernet Extender Kit
    HR20-100

I am running an Ethernet cable from the modem to the FS605 and from there a cable to my computer and a cable to the XE102G adapter which is plugged into my 110 electrical outlet. The other XE102G adapter is at the other end of the room and is connected to port 1 on my HR20.

I have shut everything down and rebooted. I did a connectivity speed test at CNET.com and found I am running at 1133 kpbs. Quite a bit less than the 1500 service I am paying for.

The advanced set-up in my HR20 is as follows: IP address:169.254.11.153, the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0, the default gateway is blank and the DNS is blank. Directv referred me back to my DSL provider to find out what my ip address etc. is for my computer. I was informed I have a dynamic IP address, that my subnet mask is 255.255.255.255, that I have no default gateway and I have a primary and a secondary DNS. I have no idea what any of this means but it appears to me my HR20 is missing some information.

1) I am upgrading my DSL service to 6000 kbps on Friday. Is it worth the money? Will my download times really be 4 times faster?

2) My modem is probably more than 5 years old, does that make a difference?

3) Is the FS605 switch considered a router?

I’m pulling my hair out here wondering if all this is worth it. Any help is greatly appreciated. BTW, I just had to re-type this whole post because the 1st time I tried to post this I included the link to Spanky_Partains’s post and I was informed that I have to have at least 5 posts before I can include a link in a post. AARRRGGGHHHH

2. mortimer

mortimer Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    1. If you want fast DOD downloads and faster downloads on large files on your computer, the extra speed is well worth it, IMO.
    2. Probably not. You may want to check with your DSL provider and see if they'll get you a newer modem...
    3. This is probably the source of your problem. No, the FS605 is not a router. What this means is every device you connect to it will try to get it's own IP address directly from your DSL provider. Most ISPs only allow one IP address for each account. You'll probably want to replace this switch with a router (a wireless Linksys router would be my suggestion). A router gets a single IP address from your ISP, and assigns (internal to your home) IP addresses for your devices (computer, HR20), then routes requests from these internal IPs out the single IP address it got from your ISP.

3. mortimer

mortimer Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    I might add... try shutting down your computer, then re-run the network setup on (or reboot) the HR20. Leave the computer off. Do you see different settings for the network on the HR20? Probably so, because it is getting the one IP address that your IP allows (whereas before, your computer was). If this is the case, you can use the networking features of either your computer, or your HR20, but not both, at any one time. Until you get thee a router.

4. jerryzman

jerryzman Cool Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Thanks for the idea but it didn't work. I shut down my PC and attempted to connect again only to get the same error message. Then I rebooted the HR20 and again no connection to the internet. The IP address didn't change.

5. DakotaKid

DakotaKid Cool Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Twin Cities, MN
    Any time you see an ip that starts with 169.x.x.x, it means that you don't have a valid ip address. With your computer able to connect to the internet do the following:

Go to start > run and type cmd in the rectangle.

You should now have a window open. At the command prompt, type in ipconfig/all. This will give you all of your ip information for your connection. Probably will be 192.168.0.2 or 192.168.1.2 which is usually how routers give out ip addresses. Make note of the subnet mask, default gateway and dns info. You can manually enter in the ip information on your DVR. Just use a different number for the ip address such as 192.168.0 or 1.10 depending on how your router gives out assignments of ip addresses. I suspect the the subnet will be 255.255.255.0.

6. prestoru

prestoru AllStar

Oct 14, 2007
    I upgraded from 3Mbps to 6 Mbps recently. It is much faster. I haven't timed anything but it appears to be about 2 times faster as far as Directv Dod goes.

You can buy an ADSLmodem/router/wireless gateway which may fix your problem. I use a zoom x6 with my att yahoo dsl.

7. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Yes, you need a router. It will act as a DHCP server and give the HR20 as well as your computer an IP address. It will talk to your DSL service thru your modem and have the IP address out to the Internet.

8. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    really?
    My system has an IP Address of 169.9.16.117 ;)

9. prestoru

prestoru AllStar

Oct 14, 2007
    169 .x.x.x is the default private ip many devices assign when theydo not find a DHCP server. 255.255.0.0 is the correct subnet for 169.254.x.x
    When you do the ipconfig on your computer you will see the private ip network address your switch has assigned your computer, and you can use that information to manually set the ip in the hr20 (if that's possible). Or, you can just get a router

10. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I don't know if SBC still works the same way, but when I first got it, many years ago, they had you install an application which would send all the user/password information and make the connection...

With a router, you could bypass that utility and enter your username and password to make the connection, which allows you to share the connection with as many devices as you'd like to.

I don't think the modem is your problem - mine is at least 4 years old... maybe older, I can't recall.

Track yourself down a router - I like Netgear myself, but Linksys is good too. That should solve your problems, I think.

11. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    I can't believe they don't provide you with a router; I have NEVER seen a high speed DSL (or cable modem for that matter) without it. Of course, we are talking Southwestern Bell here, no matter that they 'rebranded' themselves as 'SBC'.

Check with the service provider; they had to have simply let you 'drop through the cracks' on a router, or integrated router/modem.

12. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Doesnt surprise me at all.
    Unless you're paying extra, high speed internet providers dont want/intend for you to have more than one machine connected. So, they would definetly NOT provide you with a router... Most cases I've seen, they simply bridge with your computer... Some cases, the modem doubles as a hardware firewall and they use NAT/DHCP (In that case you could connect a switch to the system)

13. mortimer

mortimer Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    Ahhh right, many DSL providers use PPPoE to authenticate. If you have your HR20 connected straight thru (because of the switch rather than a router), it won't be able to authenticate (no PPPoE in the HR20)....

Yes, get a router. I would recommend getting a wireless router (and again, Linksys is my preference). You may not need or use the wireless now, but you may want to in the future.

14. frederic1943

frederic1943 Icon

Dec 1, 2006
    I connect just fine with an 8 year old Cisco 675 modem and a couple of old NetGear ethernet hubs. Connecting to 2 MacIntoshs, 4 Windows PCs and the HR20-700. I get On Demand on the HR20 and Music & Photos from my main PC with WMP.

Under "IP Address" I have 10.0.0.3 (That's the address assigned by my Modem. My main PC is 10.0.05)
    Under "Subnet Mask" it's 255.255.255.0
    Under "Default Gateway" it's 10.0.0.1 (That's the Modem)
    Under "DNS" it's 205.171.3.65 (That's the DNS Server address of my ISP)

15. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    He stated the modem was 5 years old, 5 years ago 99.999 percent of the dsl providers would not even give you tech support if you mentioned you had a router in your system (and did not have a business level account), they would require you to direct connect to a single PC and use their PPPOE software to initiate the connection before they would help you troubleshoot an issue. Recently they are starting to offer wired and wireless routers in the home level from 2wire.

16. hoboken

hoboken Cool Member

Jan 20, 2007
    I have pretty much the same setup as you - speedstream 4200 modem & xe102 netgear extender kit, but I bought the netgear rp614 router at office depot just this week because it retails for about $60, but it has a $40 dollar rebate if you purchase thru this week, comes with cd that walks you thru the install & hooks you up worked 1st time, I also have the hr20-100 - good luck, Lou

17. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    (moved to the HR20/HR21 forum)

18. jerryzman

jerryzman Cool Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Thanks for all the help guys!!!!!!!!! Looks like I'm returning my Netgear switch for a wireless router........crossing my fingers this finally works. I'll keep you posted.

19. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    You might want to consider upgrading the Netgear XE102 (HomePlug 1.0 14 Mbps) to HomePlug 1.0 Turbo, which is 85 Mbps (Netgear XE103 or the Directv networking kit, which is cheaper). 14 Mbps is a bit slow for HD media share, although it should be fine for On Demand.

20. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    The linksys WRT54G is only $49 at best buy and works great. I also have my HR20 connected to it via a linksys game adapter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.