1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTv...meaning of account number.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ejjames, May 6, 2011.

1. May 6, 2011 #1 of 16
    ejjames

ejjames Icon

Oct 2, 2006
    I was wondering if Directv simply started account numbers at "1" and just counted up from there.

The reason I ask goes back to me waiting patiently while RCA sold the first million units. After RCA hit that milestone, it meant Sony could start selling their boxes, and if any of you remember those first 8-bit RCA receivers, you know why I opted to wait for the 32-bit Sony.

Anyway, my account # is over 1,000,000, just wondering.

2. May 6, 2011 #2 of 16
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Yes, but at this point I would say that they don't use a linear system like they did in the beginning until dealers started setting up accounts.

3. May 6, 2011 #3 of 16
    prospect60

prospect60 Legend

Aug 26, 2006
    Those RCA's weren't that bad though admittedly the Sony's were prettier and faster. I had one of the first Deluxe RCA units available (dual LNB, extra AV outs, etc) and my account number is in the is in the lower 5 digits ($1000, self installed like most people in those days). I actually could probably have been in the first 5-10K since one of the initial rollout cities wasn't too far away, but they only sold Basics for the first 6-8 weeks and I really wanted the extras.

4. May 9, 2011 #4 of 16
    Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    ive noticed the confirmation numbers are going consecutive, but i get random account numbers starting with any number at the beginning

the last confirmation code or order ID was in the 150145457 area

5. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I did have one of those. It was my main receiver, but I had the dual LNB dish, and my second receiver was a Sony that I initially put in the bedroom. That lasted about a month and I swapped them. The Sony was much better.

My account # is in the low 6 digits and was installed in September 1994.

If I could find a floppy drive, I would post a paper my then fiance wrote in grad school in the Spring of 1994. It was about this great new product coming out, USSB. It was how we learned about DirecTV before it launched. We got married in September 1994 and while we were gone on our honeymoon, my dad had DirecTV installed in our new house as cable was not yet available on our street (new neighborhood). There are 9 houses on my street and 6 currently have DirecTV and a 7th did before they moved.

6. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I wish I could find an old billing statement from my first Directv account in '97 to find my original account number. When I got divorced and moved in 2000, and then bought a new house in 2001 they created a new account rather than reactivating my old one.

7. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I just spoke to a CSR supervisor.

The numbers are randomly generated, and have no real significance behind them. Account information (service date, etc.) is stored separately in their database.

8. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Maybe now that is the case, but my acct # is only 6 digits long and dates from 1994, they have added placeholder 0's in front of it since then to match the current format.

My acct number now reads 000168### original number 168###

9. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I was told that the random numbers have been the case since at least the year 2000 - sorry to have omitted that part.

Before that year....all bets are off :D

10. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Nothing is ever random. I'm betting that most front line support would think that based on certain things but I can guarantee it's not random. Look at enough work orders, or anything else with account numbers, and you'll see patterns. Think of it more like assigning IP's. Company A gets numbers xxxxxxx-xxxxxxx to use and so forth. Some companies may burn through them quickly and some might not. I would imagine the telephone companies use more account numbers than say you're local dealer. So your local dealer could have lower numbers but new accounts.

11. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Something that always made me scratch my head a little bit when I had landline service from Pacific Bell/SBC/AT&T is that my account number with them was my 10-digit phone number plus three additional digits -- the phone number alone should have been enough, since it was obviously unique. But I assume they had their reasons.

12. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    If they only used the phone number they would have to scrub that account once you quit service or someone else would have the identicle account number. The 3 digits at the end means they can use that same number 999 times before they run into a duplicate account. This also helps for historical information purposes.

13. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    I made it easy for them -- I transferred the phone number to a different provider. :D

Back when I had Bell Atlantic when I lived in Pennsylvania in the late '90s, my account number was only the 10-digit phone number. Maybe they assumed no one would ever move and give up their phone number.

14. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Mine is 176###, we obviously were not too far apart in signing up, only about 8000 between us.

15. Podkayne

Podkayne Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    Mine is 74xxx. The CSR's often comment about how unusual it is. I believe my install was in the first week Sept. 1994

16. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I have 7 numbers I have DirecTV since 1997 also no zero's in front