1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV National Distant Networks now available?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by igator99, Jun 18, 2009.

1. igator99

igator99 Godfather

Jul 28, 2006
  2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    You still need a waiver - I also suspect that the loophole Dish is trying to exploit will be closed shortly.

3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    DISH cannot sell distants they are banned by a court decision from selling out of market stations. All American Direct sells distants on the DISH Network system and if you check their website waivers are still needed.:)

4. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Thats the thing though. If there is not at least a grade B signal for analog then you could get SD DNS without fail. The local affiliates should not be able to deny a SD waiver as they no longer have a SD signal. Thats the same as an unserved area.

5. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    They still retained the existing distant network eligibility information....so there really is not change. You either qualify or you don't.

6. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    But thats not what the SHVERA act says. How many times have the local affiliates thrown that act in my face cause it was in their favor. Now its my turn!

7. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Actually I just found what protects D*. Basically both SD and HD DNS feeds are digital so you can not say just because you dont get analog signal anymore that you should get SD DNS. I am stupid. I been trying to get CBS DNS for 9 months. They turned off their analog signal at the first cut off date. If I was smart I would of submitted for the analog test then and it would of been approved without fail. There would of been no way for CBS to block it as there would of been no analog signal. Now I am just stuck. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    ;)

9. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Doug I think I misunderstood what you were talking about. I was thinking you were talking about the SD DSN channels going away not the waivers. You apepar to be correct. I have paperwork showing that I can have a SD test done. Not only would probably no one do the analog test but all DNS feeds are digital. They were before to but I guess who cares now that all is digital.

Doug thanks for your insight and knowledge. I am glad there are people like you on here to help us all better understand things. I have learned alot in less then one year of joining this site.

10. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Technically anyone right now is eligible for the DNS as SHVERA states that if you cannot get the analog feed you can get DNS. However both DirecTV and AAD have basically said they will still follow the same process for now until SHVERA is updated. They could turn on the non HD feeds right now to anyone in the US, regardless if you have locals through DirecTV or Dishnetwork, however they know that if they did it would hurt them in the long run with SHVERA being renewed.

11. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    DirecTV's stance yesterday was that SD DNS is digital and so you have to have the digital test done. I read him the SHVERA act and went through the whole thing but he is right from D*'s standpoint. The signal is digital. Its hard to process cause last week when analog was still alive the SD DNS was digital then to and it was not an issue.

I have to commend D* for really sticking to their guns in order to make sure they ca offer DNS feeds but sometimes I think they make it a little harder on us to. A perfect example is that now I am required to have 3 different DMA's approve a waiver for CBS. Two of them are not even from my state and one of those even openly admitted to me yesterday that I was not in their coverage area and that they do not grant waivers.

Now they did say that they would grant me but I informed them that I am having an issue with the local CBS here and it may be submitted several times over the next month or two. He said they would approve them for me.

12. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    It's been a while since I read through SHVERA, but I have to believe a reasonable Judge would decide that anything related to analog is moot .. meaning that yeah, you can get DNS, but only the analog version of the DNS .. which also isn't available.

SHVERA expires on December 31, 2009 anyway. As a result, the rules are going to change. Last time this happened, the rules became more strict. Look for more of the same this time.

13. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    It's good that they are willing to work with you since they are clearly admitting that you are out of their coverage area.

14. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    Two questions: first, do the standard DNS rules apply to the CW stations? Secondly, I'm grandfathered in on the big 4 DNS for both east and west on SD; could I conceivably be grandfathered the same way for HD? (i.e., shouldn't they be able to turn on the HD DNS since I already get SD?)

15. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    My understanding is that there is no grandfathering for HD... besides you are in Atlanta... all the networks are available readily in HD.

16. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I think its a little different for CW and PBS. If you dont have a affiliate in your DMA then you are deemed unserved and you would submit a waiver but it would be granted almost immediatly. I did that with the CW when I signed up and cause there was no CW here it was on within 10 minutes. CW and PBS are a little more scarce then the big 4.

17. MarkN

MarkN Legend

Jul 13, 2007
    I still dont understand what the big deal is selling out of market stations? I mean I understand there are rules but come on....

18. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Just shows you how powerful the lobbyists for the Broadcast Industry are. They convinced the FCC to bend over backwards to "protect" the local stations from Billions of dollars of advertising revenue that would be lost if we had the choice to receive out-of-air stations. Crazy, huh?

19. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    I know the Atlanta locals are readily available in HD (I work for one of the stations! -- actually two; we own the NBC AND the MNT station here). But I watch the out-of-market news on the DNS affiliates. Adding DC & San Diego (I know; the DC station doesn't have local news) would be a benefit to me. But if not (shrug) I can deal with it.

I'm no fan of the SHVERA rules that prohibit this; I have no problem with paying to receive out of market stations, I just don't like the feds/lobbyists telling me what I can and cannot purchase "for my/they're own good."

Let me make the bloody decision.

M

20. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    All of this comes from a mis-statement "Charlie" made... of course everyone went nuts when he said it and it showed up all over the internet.

Dish also released a statement saying that it was a mistake.

While it might not hurt to apply (you could get lucky) THE RULES HAVEN'T CHANGED!

Congress and the NAB (who is one of the owners of the Congress) will continue to protect local broadcasters bottom lines, no matter what we would like to have.

Larry