1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTv Old Satellite

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Chapper, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chapper

Chapper Legend

Jul 31, 2007
    Hi to everyone! Does anyone know what satellite or satellites was receiving the old Directv sistem?
    The antenna is the small one compared to the slimline, and it only had 1 LNB (I don´t know if its a double LNB, but physically I can only see one ---see picture---). The equipment is an RCA DRD222RD.

I think is the 101 sat, but I don´t know if it could be 119 sat or both.

Thank you!

Regards

Attached Files:

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    That dish is for SAT 101.

3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Your thumbnail is the 18" "round" dish aimed normally at the 101 degree satellite, I don't know if that answers your question. I am not sure what you are really asking.

4. Chapper

Chapper Legend

Jul 31, 2007
    Yes, that was the answer I was looking for. I thought that for that antenna and that receiver, the satellite that was aiming was the 101, but I wasn´t really sure.

Thank you for your answers :) :hi:

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Don't be confused with the fact that there is only one "LNB". It is a dual output LNB in one housing. And it is/was pointed at the 101 satellite, DirecTV's main core sat.

6. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Here is a link (no mistakes as far as I can tell) detailing the actual satellites used throughout DirecTV's years of operation, starting with the first 16-transponder/~100W sat DirecTV1 in 1993 through today. Basically, the sats transition to full power (~230W), more transponders (up to the 32 max for the Ku/DBS band), and of course lately, the transition from Ku/DBS-band (12Ghz) to Ka-band (20Ghz).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirecTV

It's been an interesting ride!

7. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    I don't necessarily think those older dishes always had two outputs. My original 18" dish only had one output. I remember specifically having to order a dual output LNB from a company in FL for 100 bucks back in 1995.

8. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    My first dish (even in 1997) was also a single output. Everything I have seen after that are duals.

The 18's are great for staying at a cabin, hunting, tailgates, etc. So easy to aim and set up.

9. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Yep, there were definitely single-LNB (single output) systems sold early on.

10. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Even at the cabin or just camping, I can't do without the HD, so I'm getting closer to setting up the 5lnb as needed.

Cheers,
    Tom

11. techntrek

techntrek Godfather

Apr 26, 2007
    Really roughing it there, Tom! :D Temporary setup of a slimline... you must really miss your HD. As much as I love my HD at home, when we are camping I can't justify all the adjustment. 101-only for me!

12. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I remember going to H.H. Gregg back in early '97 and "splurging" on a dual-LNB/dual-receiver setup - it was something like about $700, plus about another $50 for the self-install kit, IIRC. Ah, good times, good times . . . :)

13. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Yea, that sounds about right. The kit I purchased was in 95 for around 900.00 and extra for the kit. The kit had the cable, ground blocks, phone line, lag bolts for chimney attachment, cheesy compass etc. I think my original modle was a SATB2 fron Sony. I also learned splitters didn't cut it.

14. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I have a friend who had a single-lnb until about two years ago. Never had a problem with it.

15. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes, I really miss my HD. :) And the 5lnb isn't that hard to adjust for a temp situation if you are close to your normal home.

Cheers,
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.