1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV On Demand (Very Lackluster)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by JMCS88, Oct 14, 2010.

1. JMCS88

JMCS88 Cool Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Is anyone else extremely disappointed in DirecTV's On Demand service? I remember a year or two ago when I first decided to get a box capable of receiving this service, I was so excited. I had already experienced Comcast's On Demand Service in 2001-2002 and loved it back then, so DirecTV's modern On Demand service would have to be even better product than the 2002 offering, right? NO! Most of the On Demand stuff is very limited in selection, limited to SD usually, limited to previews and highlights of shows on many channels, and just all around lackluster compared to the competition. I just don't see the point of even having it really, other than it's free.

It also seems that the "InDemand" service Dish and cable customers receive is a lot better than DirecTV's offering.

I would love for the WWE Classics On Demand service to be offered, as well as some others. I would even be willing to pay for quality On Demand, but DirecTV still continues to do as little as possible with this feature and customers like me remain happy with their DirecTV channels, but unhappy with other things they are missing out on because of DirecTV.

2. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    For me it is mostly download today and watch tomorrow. ;)

3. BK89

BK89 Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    Yeah, it sucks. The only use I have gotten out of it is when they gave me 3 free months of showtime. I downloaded and watched an entire season of the Tudors. The selection is terrrible and they do not have complete seasons of very many shows (and virtually none in HD). Also, there is still no HBO on Demand - which at this point is just embarassing (and a BIG reason why I would never pay for HBO). :mad:

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Mentor

Jun 4, 2010
    I pretty much only use the On Demand option on those channels that are still being broadcast in SD by D* (such as BBCAmerica.) Sadly, I've noticed that the SD On-Demand shows are higher video quality than the SD broadcast. It was the only way I could stand watching Doctor Who this last season.

I have been surprised by the lack of HD content with On Demand. I just assumed that if the channel was in HD, so would the On Demand shows. Too bad that's not the case.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, I agree, it's disappointing. And they really want it to be a big part of the D* experience. They just don't seem to be able to get it right.

Rich

6. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Other than broadcast networks and HBO, it is almost exactly the same show for show and movie for movie offerings that Fios has. Comcast may be much better as they focused on that, but I would say that On Demand overall is not a great bonanza and that DirecTV's is about average.

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My son's ex-girlfriend stayed with us for the better part of the last two years (more agita) and she has Cablevision at home and she said that the OD was much better and varied, than ours.

I recorded about twenty movies in 1080p from the MGM channel OD and the first movie I looked at wasn't so hot. Kinda disappointed me. I downloaded Platoon and I'm looking forward to a better picture on that. If not, another blunder. People are starting to notice how the OD differs from provider to provider. D* really ought to get their stuff together, get HBO OD and some locals.

Rich

8. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    DirecTV on demand is disapointing, but consider this:

FIOS & Comcast should be a lot better... they control the delivery lines. They have speed and bandwidth to make it viable.

Many of us have the bandwidth to do on demand from DirecTV, but I have to wonder what the average DirecTV customer has? DirecTV on demand isn't coming off the satellites, it comes over your internet connection.

HD is going to always stress the bandwidth, and what happens if ISP's really do start capping usage?

If I were a DirecTV exec I would be looking for some long term answers.

9. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006

They lose money. I’ll drop to the slowest speed possible if they cap the internet.

As for DIRECTV DOD. Yup, I’m not happy with it. It would be great if it was 1987. Most free stuff is SD. I don’t do SD. Most HD cost extra money. I don’t do PPVHD. The thing that bugs me most. We’ll have a channel in HD, yet the DOD version is SD. :bang

10. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    Their 1080p new release movies are nice though.

11. soetart

soetart AllStar

May 25, 2007
    I agree, even the stuff they have seems out of date. I have been waiting for FX OnDemand to add additional episodes of Sunny and The League and nothing has been added past the first two episodes. I'd DVR these shows but there are better shows on during that time.

FWIW,
    Bill

12. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Guys, most of you are complaining about the general state of On Demand services, not just DirecTV. I have Fios in the house. I see the same general offerings in terms of HD versus SD. And Fios doesn't even have FX on Demand.

Most On Demand content is directly controlled by the providing channel, not the cable or satellite service themselves.

13. texasmoose

texasmoose Icon

May 24, 2007
    +1

14. BK89

BK89 Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    Why would the providing channel not want their content in HD? :confused:

15. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I don't know. There must be cost in some form associated with it but I see it from several services.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Kinda hard to be the Alpha Male when you're running in the middle of the pack. D* should be leading the charge, not just keeping up. I think. :)

Rich

17. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    You are saying that DirecTV should provide <channel X> HD movies that <channel X> does not provide? That was what I was commenting on.

DirecTV has added a lot of On Demand stuff of their own (re: channel 1099) and have some channels that others (FX vis a vis Fios) do not. Not to mention the plethora of HD PPV channels that most around here abhor.

So, what is your point? I am not getting it.

18. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It's not what I expected it to be but not all that disappointing either. Have downloaded some great movies in HD that have yet to be released on BluRay.

19. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I generally think that the whole On Demand industry is lackluster. I have DirecTV On Demand and Fios On Demand currently and had Comcast On Demand as recently as the beginning of this year. I find them handy for missing shows and the occasional movie.

But the On Demand industry is driven mostly by the program providers (with the exception of PPV), not the cable company or the satellite company. And it is obvious that despite a lot of people thinking linear TV is on its last legs (including some network guys), there is so little actual content available non-linearly, it tells me that we are some ways off before linear TV dies.

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My point is that D* should strive to be the leader. Have the very best DOD in the industry.

Rich