1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV Policy: Changing Service Address

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bsprague, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Jan 1, 2010 #1 of 30
    bsprague

bsprague Legend

Feb 24, 2007
    With help from this forum I learned about spot beams, local channels, what is on the 101 satellite and what is not. I more frequently live near Seattle but am enjoying 6 weeks of RV living in Southern California. DirecTV has allowed me to have a "service address" in my rented RV park space. My automatic seeking antenna has installed itself and the DVR works well. I'm getting San Diego stations.

During the process of learning and two failed attempts to change my service address I spoke with about a half dozen CSRs. One specifically said it was against "policy" to change service addresses for RVs. The rest tried to get it to work. Only the last one was successful! Was he doing me a favor or was he carrying out DirecTV policy?

My question is how to determine what the actual policy is and were is it written. Is it written that I can change service addresses in an RV? Where is it written that I can do it several times a year or not?

Thanks in advance.

2. Jan 1, 2010 #2 of 30
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
  3. Jan 1, 2010 #3 of 30
    bsprague

bsprague Legend

Feb 24, 2007
    RV industry experts think there are about a half million RVs owned by people that choose to traavel in them have no other home. There are many more that live in them because they have to.

4. Jan 1, 2010 #4 of 30
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Bill, I don't know the official policy, but I'll see if I can get you a good answer for this.

5. Jan 1, 2010 #5 of 30
    bsprague

bsprague Legend

Feb 24, 2007
    Your "spot beam locals" link puts the bad news in writing! I was hoping for the opposite. My sense was that I pay for locals and want to watch local news, weather and advertising. So, if I am "living" where other people are watching San Diego channels, I should too.

I have been getting oppinions from many other RV owners on a RV forum. It looks like we are wrong. Thanks.

6. Jan 1, 2010 #6 of 30
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Well, they did allow RV'ers to subscribe to the DNS stations from New York and LA, and still may (I havent checked recently). That and a small antenna and you should be able to get the networks both from DirecTv and off air whereever you are. At the time I read it, the only requirement was for you to send a picture to them of the RV with the Dish permanantly mounted, or some such thing. That was pre-HD though, so the policy for HD might be different.

edit: Nevermind, the spotbeam link above explains it. I answered before I saw that.

7. Jan 1, 2010 #7 of 30
    bsprague

bsprague Legend

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks Doug.

What they seem to do for many RVers is different that what the stated policy seems to be. I can see where being a CSR could be a challenge!

8. Jan 1, 2010 #8 of 30
    cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
    I believe the confusion could arise out of the fact that you may have receivers active in your residence in Seattle. If you do in fact have receivers in Seattle they would have to be deactivated (since you are not suppose to have receivers active in two different locations at the same time, RVs being the exception). Now if that is the case and those receivers are leased, they do need to be returned to Directv. A way around this would be to set up 2 separate accounts - 1 for the Seattle based receivers, and 1 for the RV.

Now if the only receivers you have on the account are in the RV, there should be no problem changing the "location" of your account as you move the RV. You are just provinding Directv with the actual location of the receivers and getting the proper channels. Depending on the dish you have you may have problems doing this - If you have the basic 18", you would only get locals from the 101 sat, you would need a multi-sat dish if you were in a 119 sat local area, and if you were in a mpeg local area you would need a ka/ku dish and mpeg 4 receivers. So updating the service address might not necessarily allow you to receive locals from that area. An option then would be DNS for the RV.:)

9. Jan 1, 2010 #9 of 30
    cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
  10. bsprague

bsprague Legend

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestion, but paying double is a very bad idea. I only watch one TV at a time!

The real root of the problem is the addiction to the DVR! I can watch all the locals I want from a simple RV antenna, but I don't have the equipment to record from that source.

11. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    An HD DVR and AM-21 combo would allow you to record locals from antenna. That might be a good solution.

12. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    If you have 2 accounts you can suspend the other account while not using up to 4 times a year for a maximum total suspend time of 6 months.

Service address's are only to be changed when you move permanently to another physical address. Since you have a home and mirror to your RV changing the address would be a violation of FCC and DirecTV TOS since you could potentially get other local channels at that residence in a market you don't live in depending on spot beams.

For it's own account the service address is to remain at the address on the registration of the vehicle. The billing address can be changed to where you are traveling to if you want. DNS is the way to get locals without OTA in this scenario.

13. Ext 721

Ext 721 Icon

Feb 26, 2007
    I think the reason for the "policy" is to avoid the following:

The McTraveller family likes to travel.

Each week they travel to a new city, and take in the sights and sounds in their RV

Each week, they want the local channels so they can have local weather, news, and othersuch.

Each week they call to DIRECTV to get their local channels changed

This takes about 10 minutes on an 800 number, total. Cost: $1 to directv
    It also takes a friendly CSR 6 minutes, let's say she makes $10 an hour...that's another dollar...not too bad...$104 a year

This goes fine for a few weeks, but then a snag is hit, their round dish can't pick up the local stations. Dirctv tech support assists them in getting their single-lnb automatic dish to a mode where a button push aquires the 119 bird.
    This takes another half hour's time, and this guy makes $12.

Not too bad, we're only up to $113 this year so far.

The McTravellers fall in love with the boonies, and this location has a 72.5 bird for locals.

After An hour on the phone with tech support and supervisors (let's say we're up $142 at this point) to Mr McT is very upset. They have never before been told so many conflicting things about whether their unit can or can't get the 72.5 (it isn't programmed for it, and needs a firmware update)
    He was told many times before "no problem, we can do that" now he is being told otherwise.

The customer is angry and $142 has been spent on CSR pay and 800# time.
    This does not count in other costs, which surely exist.

...Which could have been avoided if someone, in the beginning, had told the McTravellers that they'd need DNS instead of constantly changing local channels.

Yes, they would have been less happy initially, but never would have had the angry, frustrated moment of bewilderment that something they'd done a dozen times before was "so hard" this time.

Now they are considering seeing if the comeptition might be more helpful!

What we see here is that there is probably some policy to prevent this "local channel hopping" due to cost and difficulty, but CSRs are human, and want to help, and might bend the rules to hake people happy.

In many cases it makes sense, because someone might have one spot they go to for 3 months a year.

In the McTraveller's case, however, it makes sense to tell them they cannot change locals...right from the start.

14. bsprague

bsprague Legend

Feb 24, 2007
    Well written Ext 721/Not Purchased. Thank you.

I have been the problem you suggest, but to a lesser degree.

I had the DNS on my account but canceled for cost and the CSR at the time said it was OK to change "Service Address" when I traveled. "Just call.", she said.

I did cause a problem by not understanding "spot beams" and satelites on a call to a CSR a few weeks ago.

Learning my lesson, I called again in a new location and I got what I wanted.

I will have to call one more time when I return to my home territory.

I will re apply for the DNS service to be a lesser pain in the neck to the CSRs.

15. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Woe be to the McTravellers when they run into an MPEG4 SD LIL market.

DIRECTV is now recommending full-on mobile Slimline dishes for RV users.

Many travelers are switching to DISH.

16. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Really?

The only 2 RV'ers I know certainly are not.

Love to see the data you have to substantiate that highlighted declaration.

17. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    I seriously doubt he has any.

18. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Head over to your local RV park (whether it is a small operation or a RV resort) and see what people have on their rigs. The lion's share used to be DIRECTV dishes.

19. bsprague

bsprague Legend

Feb 24, 2007
    I'm in one. It is hard to tell by walking around because all the automatics are labled with names like Motosat and Wineguard. Most of the bigger motorhomes have domes that say Kingdome and many are painted to match the coach. However, most that set up a dish on a tripod have direcTV. For SD, Dish is a littler harder to use because some channels are on a second satelite.

Dish does make it easier for the part timer to turn service on and off. As I understand it they have a program aimed at RV owners that allow them to pay for it only when traveling. DirecTV does allow you to turn off service a few (4?) times a year but that gets complicated with leased recievers.

20. scr

scr AllStar

Feb 5, 2008

I've been fulltime RVing for 12 years. I haven't seen that type of recent change in the dish population in the RV parks I visit, always Federal or State. Some private RV parks have longer term occupancy and therefore that may make a difference.

I did notice a change about 5 years ago when most changed from a DISH 500 to a D* single LMB. That got my attention. Then again I was pretty ticked off at DISH at the time and itching to switch. I also remember that is was a royal pain, at the time, to get a D* system when you lived in a RV.

I don't want to be bothered with a lot of setup stuff when it comes to TV. We may move every day for a while then maybe every two weeks. The quicker/easier the better. We're "roughing it" ...no HD ;)

If I have to put one of those monster slim line dish things any where near me to get TV, let alone attached to my rig parked under a tree, I'll have to fall back to OTA and a VCR.:eek2: