1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Directv Promotion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Maldez, Feb 12, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Maldez

Maldez New Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Cortland, NY
    I received an automated phone call this morning from Directv about a promotion, but that all agents were busy and then the call ended. Anybody know what promotion they could be running? I've been trying to upgrade to a free Genie for months now, and am wondering if maybe I finally got lucky.

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    No idea about a specific phone call, but what attempts have you made in the past? Are you going to try again? How long a sub, and do you have a lot of premiums?

And welcome to DBSTalk!

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Do what you can to determine that it was actually DIRECTV calling and not a reseller trying to set you up with a new account.

4. Mariah2014

Mariah2014 Breaking the mold

Apr 21, 2006
    Somewhere...
    Another thing that would be helpful to know is if you are under contract. Secondly, if it was Directv and it was them trying to get you upgraded to the genie, then they will call again.

5. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    Emphatically agree.

You have no certainty that it was DTV, and not a party seeking your personal information.

If you want DTV credits/promotions, contact DTV, tell them what happened, and ascertain if DTV has anything available for you.

6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    This is good advice. However, be sure to call the regular DirecTV numbers, do not just call back the number from your caller id that called you, or the number they left in the message, with out at least checking those numbers out on google.

There is a pretty big scam going around right now where numbers are calling you and they look just like a normal area code and phone number. However, they are actually more like 1-900 numbers, and when you call them back you get charged like $5/minute and stuff like that. Same thing with texting back numbers you don't recognize. Some of them end up being those text to donate $5 or sign you up for a $3/month club of some kind etc.

7. Maldez

Maldez New Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Cortland, NY
    I've called DTV a few times over the past several months and they keep saying my free Genie will be available "any month now", so I thought finally, this is it. Turns out it was just an offer to get the NBA package at half price. No sale.

I've been a DTV customer since 1995 and have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on their programming over the years, so you'd think they could give me a stinkin' free upgrade, don't you? New customers get free Genie and free NFL Sunday Ticket, but loyal customers get the Nada Package.

Thanks for the welcome to DBSTalk....looks like a great site!

8. Maldez

Maldez New Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Cortland, NY
    Thx, they called again this evening with the same message including the hang-up and my caller ID said "Directv".

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    What was the number on the caller ID ?

You can look it up here and see what others are saying they found out about the number.

http://www.reportthecall.com/index.html

10. Maldez

Maldez New Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Cortland, NY

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
  12. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    This number appears to be some DirecTV reseller and not an actual corporate DTV number.

13. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    is definitely not DirecTV as this number is from Nassau County NY and DirecTV has no "business" offices there

14. Maldez

Maldez New Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Cortland, NY
    Just for fun I called the number, and I'm now pretty sure it's legit, as the guy knew I had just submitted a request to have my account suspended soon. But have to admit it's odd coming from Nassau county and not having an 800 toll-free prefix.

15. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Been with Directv forever and have never received a phone call from them.

16. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Only call I've received were to follow up that an install went fine.

I'd avoid the number that initiated the call....

17. Maldez

Maldez New Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Cortland, NY
    The plot thickens. We got another call this evening from the 516-453-6809 number and a guy told my wife that it would be no problem to give us a free equipment upgrade. When I took the phone the guy hung up, or we got disconncected. I call back, got another guy, told him what just happened, and he said because my account is scheduled for suspension they can't offer any upgrades. So then why did they call me? There's something very odd about the whole thing but I don't know who or what they're trying to pull.

18. hrobbs

hrobbs AllStar

Jan 22, 2007
    Yeah, it's legitimate or just a common disconnection - happens all the time now a days.

19. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yeah, see post 16.