1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DIRECTV Quick Look: App for iPad 2.0

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Scott Kocourek, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Aug 13, 2013 #1 of 103
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    DIRECTV does it again!

The all new redesigned app for iPad 2.0 expected to be available today in the app store! This is the first in a series of redesigns for all of DIRECTV's apps.

[​IMG]

The 2009-style backgrounds are all gone, replaced by a slick, Android-like interface with a slide-out menu.

[​IMG]

You'll like the fact that they added filtering to almost every part of the app. Take a look at the the top right -- you can filter by all programs, or those programs that can be watched on the tablet, or on TV.

[​IMG]

Tapping once on an item brings a flyout that lets you watch and record easily.

[​IMG]

The app's screens have been redesigned so it's really easy to see where a program is available (on TV, tablet, etc) and there's a nice big "Watch" and "Record" button.

[​IMG]

If you're worried that the remote would be taken away... don't. it's there and just as good as ever.

2. Aug 13, 2013 #2 of 103
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    The help screens have been enhanced, too, so you can see the new gestural inputs that are available.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Aug 13, 2013 #3 of 103
    dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
  4. Aug 13, 2013 #4 of 103
    volkl

volkl Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    I like the 'first aired' info. The d* website guide does not include this.

-volkl

5. Aug 13, 2013 #5 of 103
    mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    I didn't get that from those pictures, dennisj. As much as I would love Geniego integration into the DirecTV App for iPad, I don't think it's a part of this update. But I could be wrong.

App update looks great! I can't wait to play with it on my wife's iPad.

6. Aug 13, 2013 #6 of 103
    dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    You may be right - I may be dreaming! The first photo in 'See All' lists 'even your playlist' but that probably means just picking something from the playlist to send to the TV.

7. Aug 13, 2013 #7 of 103
    jayerndl

jayerndl AllStar

Aug 4, 2007
    If Geniego integration is not included Directv missed the mark. The user should not have to remember which app to run to watch a particular movie / TV show on their ipad. Another feature that would provide a better user experience would be to allow at least viewing of the series recordings and to-do list. Ideally you should be able to maintain your recordings from your ipad, but even it allowed only viewing it provide a huge benefit of not having to go to a specific room and turn on the TV just to check to see if you remembered to record something. I do welcome any improvements in the app. I find myself using my ipad for more and more stuff.

Jay

1 person likes this.
  8. Aug 13, 2013 #8 of 103
    mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    Note that I said "I don't think it's a part of this update." I think Geniego integration is coming. Hopefully sooner than later. I would actually like to see them integrate Geniego into the iPad app before they get the Geniego "Out of Home" enhancements working for Android, and I'm a heavy Android user vs. my wife and her iOS products. Obviously, DirecTV works the iOS stuff first, so since they will continue to do that, I'd just like to see the full Monte on for the iPad.

I also agree with your other requests. How great would it be to be able to see all of the settings/to do list/series lists, plus streaming channels, VoD, Geniego access, etc., and be able to manage all of that in a single app. It would be brilliant! Brilliant I say!

9. Aug 13, 2013 #9 of 103
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I can say for certain, GenieGo is not included in this update.

...which is available in the App Store now.

10. Aug 13, 2013 #10 of 103
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, it wasn't there at 6 am, nor 7 or 8, or.....you get the picture.... but it's downloading now.

Nice review, Scott and team!

11. Aug 13, 2013 #11 of 103
    lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    It's available on the App Store with bugs as usual. The first time I tried to view "Playlists" the app crashed. The second and subsequent times I tried to view them it continued to say "Loading Playlist" but it never loads, just continues to hang. Rebooted app and it still won't load playlist from the HR34 or the HR23.

Uninstalled and then reinstalled and now the playlist show up.

12. Aug 13, 2013 #12 of 103
    dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Even after rebooting the iPad(4), mine's stuck on 'Loading Playlist' with a green check mark beside the 6 dvrs.

Everything else seems to work.

Edit: On the wife's iPad3, got the spinning dealies on the 6 dvrs and the playlist popped in!

13. Aug 13, 2013 #13 of 103
    Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Looks great so far. I can't wait to try it from home. GenieGo integration would be nice but they've made the On Demand stuff so much easier to find in this update.

Thanks for the Quick Look, Scott. Nice Job!

14. Aug 13, 2013 #14 of 103
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Nice. All receivers up and available, only surprise that Guide Favorites includes Rachel Ray! , Wendy Williams, and some other shows I've only breezed through on channel surfing....
    I launched the app even before the sync was done: ¡No problemo!

15. Aug 13, 2013 #15 of 103
    lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    The picture would seem to have the playlist content in the "watch on TV" hemisphere of the screen blocks but the software update page includes "watching your playlist" in such a manner to cause one to expect it to work on the iPad. Likely just a different command sequence so you don't need to see the list content one the TV before using the iPad remote to command it to play. (I'm at work and cannot test but it looks like marketing speak that leads one to assume more than it is). I expect you can look it up on the iPad, highlight it, and start its playback on your selected receiver from the iPad.

That being said, it does put us a step closer to that point! but I had such hopes for now.

Don " maybe in the next rev" Bolton

16. Aug 13, 2013 #16 of 103
    dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    It's only watch on TV.

17. Aug 13, 2013 #17 of 103
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup, great update. and for those who might ask, it works on JB iPads with Xcon

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

18. Aug 13, 2013 #18 of 103
    cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    So you still can't manage the playlist? I'm looking for a feature where I can actually do DVR MANAGEMENT. Like check the to do list, re-prioritize series manager, see disk space remaining. Having full DVR management on a drag and drop tablet interface would be great to have. I could do all of that without interrupting the TV screen or even from other rooms / off site.

Also opening up streaming for more channels for off network situations.

However I will end on a positive note, I really like the look of it. I mean it's a little more "Time Warner -ish" but the nice clean fonts and flat colors will complement IOS 7 nicely.

Can't wait to see them further develop this app and hopefully DVR management is included in the future. Browsing the full color VOD screens would be kind of neat too so you could shoot VOD to a DVR and then play it back in another room on a non DVR via MRV. Maybe even add the call log for caller ID, messages and or emulate TV Apps in the future. I just think what DirecTV has today just scratches the surface and they can really take off with this thing as their development time permits.

19. Aug 13, 2013 #19 of 103
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    So you still can't manage the playlist? .
    Yup, not possible yet

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

20. Aug 14, 2013 #20 of 103
    lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    When on the watch pane off of playlist selection the view on iPad hemisphere shows with text reading "not available yet"!

Don "implies that is on the drawing rock though!" Bolton