1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV Readies HD/DVR, Off-Air Antenna Offer

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Chris Blount, Mar 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    DirecTV will soon implement an offer for current customers of the satellite TV service who wish to upgrade to a DirecTV HD receiver or a DirecTV DVR receiver.

Under the first version of the offer, a current customer can buy a DirecTV HD receiver or DirecTV DVR receiver and have it installed for $49.

Through the second offer, a current DirecTV customer can get the same deal with the DVR receiver, but also have the option of upgrading the installation to include an off-air antenna for $99. The offer is available only in select markets, but gives customers access to local channels in high-def if they reside in one of the 32 markets covered by the promotion.

Cities in the promotion include Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Minneapolis, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Seattle, and Washington D.C., among others.

The off-air antenna strategy is new for the satellite TV company concerning locals and high-def programming.

http://www.skyreport.com (Used with permission)

2. mgusler

mgusler Mentor

Aug 6, 2002
    Excellent! Now, if they only make a similar offer to new subs, or to Dish subs who switch, I'm in business. I'm bustin' at the seams, waiting to see HD on my new TV. The Mrs won't let me get a receiver that won't do DVR. :(

3. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    I would imagine that's coming so sit tight. :)

4. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    The offer could be interpreted to mean you buy the receiver and they will install it for $49.

5. Phil T

Phil T Active Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    It can be done!
    I was able to get a Samsung 360 receiver and a 4x8 multiswitch installed last week just by asking DirecTV what they could do for me. I was a new sub to DirecTV in November but was still getting the Dish HD package on my 6000. Charges and credits were made to my DirecTV statement. Total cost was $68.00.

I called the customer retention phone number 1-800-600-8977. These are the CSR's that know about the deals.

6. James Hill

James Hill AllStar

Jul 24, 2003
    Assuming this deal comes to Salt Lake I will switch from E*. The price is just too good.

Not to give D* any ideas, but I'd be willing to sign a two to two-and-a-half year agreement for that kind of deal.

James Hill

7. rh26

rh26 Mentor

Jan 25, 2003
    I'm sorry, I don't read this as "Want an HD DVR for $49?" but rather buy a DVR (at some undisclosed price) and get the installation for only $49 (or $99 with an OTA antenna included).

If this was really a "$49 gets you an HD DirecTivo" I'd be on the phone right now!

8. Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson Banned User

Jun 12, 2003
    The front page of DBS Talk is outright lying. It says "Want an HD DVR for $49?" implying that people can get the High Definition TiVo for $49 and this is simply not true. DirecTV would go bankrupt. Please fix this outright error on the front page.

9. BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    Wow that definitely is trying to dupe people. Got me the first time. I was like $49 no way?!?

How much does the HD tivo really cost?

10. Mike Richardson

Jun 12, 2003
    Someone clarify this offer. Does the physical HD receiver cost $49, or do you still have to pay $399 or whatever it is that a DirecTV HD receiver costs.

11. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Calling it a lie is kind a strong charge isn't it? When typing I omitted the word "installed" so that has been fixed. If you find errors like that, can you please notify me? Thanks.

My apologies for the error.

12. Mike Richardson

Jun 12, 2003
    It still says "HD DVR". Does the installation promotion let you install an HD TiVo DVR, or only a regular HD box or a regular TiVo box? It's still kind of vague. Even the Sky Report text is vague - it says "a current DirecTV customer can get the same deal with the DVR receiver, but also have the option of upgrading the installation to include an off-air antenna for $99". Who would want an off air antenna with a DVR? I think they mean either an HD receiver or an HD DVR.

13. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Since there still seems to be confusion about this, I have completely removed the headline from our front page. I will contact Sky Reports tomorrow and try to get some clarification.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.