1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIRECTV Receivers one account

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by skaman74, Mar 9, 2012.

1. skaman74

skaman74 AllStar

Feb 17, 2012
    Just wondering how many receivers can you have on account. If i get a lot of receivers do they have to be connected to the internet or phone line.

Thanks!

2. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    As long as you're doing things legally (and within your service terms), I haven't heard of any limit and they say phone lines are required but I haven't heard of it being enforced.

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    And most likely they will all hook up to the internet if your just now getting service, since they will run deca which means they will get internet to all your receivers through the same coax that delvers the sat signal, you just need one point of connection to your home network.

How many receivers do you think you are going to get?

4. skaman74

skaman74 AllStar

Feb 17, 2012
    I already got a account a year ago. It is not connected to the internet and I have a legacy 5lnb. I will be changing it myself to a swm5. I'm planning to get 10 more receivers.

5. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Then a SWM5 won't help you. I'm assuming you mean a legacy LNB and a SWM multi-switch, with that many tuners you're looking at at least 1 SWM 16 if not multiple.

If the receivers are all in the same location and the location is a single family residence, that hasn't been converted into something designed to have tenenants or temporary guests, then there isn't a limit other than your pocket book. If you're getting all of that though there's no reason not to connect it to the internet to get all of the functions of the receivers.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    A bit more info and we could give yo a few more tips...

How many receivers do you have now? And how many total do you plan on ending up with, and what kind will they be? All hd dvrs? How many tv's do you have? Are you planning on putting multiple dvrs in the same location at any of these tvs?

As Shades said, changing the lnb is not what needs to be done no matter what. YOu need a swim 16 at min.

7. skaman74

skaman74 AllStar

Feb 17, 2012
    I got 3 receivers now and planning to get 8 more. I plan to get 3 more HD DVD and the rest HD. I have 8 TVs but I want the 3 others for my Mac eyetv. And would it be possible to have a whole home DVr but without connected to the internet, for example have a router but have the router not connected to the "cable internet".

Thanks

8. MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
    Most I've seen is 22 on one account.

I've seen quite a few in the 10-12 range though so no worries there

9. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Yup, WHDVR will work just fine without an internet connection, it just won't have access to on-demand stuff, TVapps, and the iPad app won't be able to control any boxes or be able to watch streaming channels.

All your HD boxes would have to be connected to each other via coax or ethernet networking and you wouldn't have that network bridged to your home internet connected network.