1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV Receivers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jaymzrobles, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaymzrobles

jaymzrobles New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I've been hearing a lot of negative discussion regarding the DirecTV receivers. I just left DishNetwork and I was considering going to DirecTV. I plan on getting the HD DVR receiver. Does anyone know what the model number is and can anyone tell me what probable issues might I run into? Any information I can get would be helpful.

2. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    I have an HR 20-100 They have done a LOT of software updates and the receivers are very solid now.

3. jaymzrobles

jaymzrobles New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Thank you very much for that info. Do you know if the HR 20-100 is the latest receiver available now for new DirecTV subscribers.

4. bcherry

bcherry Legend

Apr 1, 2006
    The HD DVRs with the most recent software updates are very reliable. If you are interested in picking up your local HD channels OTA then make sure you get one of the HR20 models and not the HR21. The HR21 model HD DVR does not have built in OTA tuners.

5. PicaKing

PicaKing Godfather

Oct 8, 2006
    Both the HR 20 and HR21 are still being used by DirecTV. They are very similar, the biggest difference is that the HR21 does not have OTA capabilities. You can't choose which one you get when you order from DirecTV, but if you choose an HD DVR, it will be one of those 2. Ther are several different sub-models of each (HR20-100, HR20-700, etc) but it's the luck of the draw--you get what you get

6. bcherry

bcherry Legend

Apr 1, 2006
    The HR21-700 is the latest model but doesn't include OTA tuners. You should be able to get the HR20-100, which is the latest model that includes OTA tuners.

7. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I have 2 HR20-700's and an HR21-700. No problems of note with any of the receivers. That's no tto say that some people haven't had issues with DirecTV service, but I've been very satisfied.

8. Draconis

Draconis New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I would take the complaints with a grain of salt.

People generally do not post positive feedback when everything is working, but they sure like to complain when it does not.

I have 2 R15-500’s that were installed back in February of 06, never had a lick of trouble from them.

9. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    Word of advice to the OP, if you have a need for OTA, and the installer only has HR21-700 units on his truck, don't let him install one!! Many around here have gone through hell to try and get D* to replace those with an HR20 model!!! As far as problems, I love my 3 HR20-700 HDDVR units!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.