1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv referral ($100 off)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Gaily Waily, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaily Waily

Gaily Waily Cool Member

Dec 8, 2007
    We saw friends of ours last nite and they had JUST signed up. I told them about the referral program, gave them our acct #, the 800 phone # and told them good luck trying to still get the $100 bill credit.:biggrin: Of course they were told "no deal". IS there a way for them to do this short of canceling and then re-signing up?

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Since you didn't refer them, No.

3. Gaily Waily

Gaily Waily Cool Member

Dec 8, 2007
    But is it ridiculous for them to cancel and then sign up with the referral? Is it even allowed? They just missed the referral by a couple hours.

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    To me, it's ridiculous to try and claim the $100 referral fee when you didn't refer them.

I don't think they can cancel and try again without using different information (name, phone, etc.)

5. Gaily Waily

Gaily Waily Cool Member

Dec 8, 2007
    We're actually BOTH ridiculous wanting the $100 off...it goes both ways remember? heh heh

6. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    They should be able to have this added as long as their system isn't installed yet. You can add it after your order but it has to be prior to your installation date.

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If you dont call the 1800 referral number to sign up for the service, you can't get the refer a friend discount...you can't do it after the fact.

8. NASCR2424

NASCR2424 Legend

Nov 16, 2007
    I refered a friend, he called the number and they told him he had a choice, either him and I get $100 credit and he pays installation fee. Or he gets free installation and no referral. He was told you couldn't use two promotions at the same time.

9. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    I just had a close friend of mine sign up and we used the refer a friend deal, it worked out very well. While he was at my house we used the email feature of the program, they sent him an email and when he opened the link on his end all of the info was there. He signed up got a HR34, 3 25's and a R16 installed for $99.00.

Installation was last Friday (Great installer BTW), and I got a confirmation email two days ago that he signed up and the credits would be starting. It was very easy and I would recommend going to the DIRECTV website to do the refer a friend notice via email, this way they don't need to remember to mention it or remember your account number.

10. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    the most important thing is too supply the info BEFORE the order is complete

11. Sunner73

Sunner73 AllStar

Feb 29, 2012

I just logged onto my account and when I went to the "refer a friend" link the info states;

Now you can get $100 off your DIRECTV bill for every friend who orders DIRECTV service. Your friends will also save $100 each, on top of our current new customer offer.

The key part of this is the last sentence....."on top of our current new customer offer" which includes free installation.

Plain and simple, sounds like the CSR needs to be educated about their offers before they cost Directv future customers and income.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I thought the rule was it could be added as long as its more than 24 hours before install.

13. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The rule has always been that to get the referral, you have to setup service through the referral number, or more importantly at order time....not after.

14. mitchinpa

mitchinpa Cool Member

Aug 28, 2007
    I signed up at the beginning of the month using the AAA discount. At the time of the initial order, I was told I couldnt stack the referral discount on top of that. I also got the current promotion prices too.
    2 days after the initial order, and about a week before installation, I called the referral number and used my friends account number, and they added that discount as well.

15. psuscott0483

psuscott0483 Godfather

Apr 16, 2009
    Douglassvill...
    +1

ive tried to have my referral added to a few accounts after the fact (people i did refer but for instance my 82yr old grandfather did not do it right and neither of us got the $100 credit) and it was a no-go

they mailed me coupons a few months back with my account number and the refer a friend 800 number on it, i keep one in my wallet at all times. i have 5 refer a friend credits rolling at once now. :D

16. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    Yes but if you are not INSTALLED yet, then its not after... call up and cancel the entire order and start over. They cant refuse to cancel your order. There is no special deal you can get now and not next week. Then they certainly arent going to refuse to sign you up.

17. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    or just provide the info at the time of order

18. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    $100 referral ($10/10mths) is currently available up until activation of the new order (as noted above, there was briefly a 24hr pre-activation requirement). There is no install fee or penalty. Available for Choice package and above. Not necessary to replace the order. Referral cannot be stacked with AAA offer ($10/20mths) prior to install, since the AAA offer is technically a business referral (b2c--where the new customer gets both $10/10mth discounts). Customer Service can apply additional discounts after activation, but that is case by case..best to confirm and check your monthly invoice. Best tel# to call is 800-531-5000.

19. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I have a friend who is moving to Michigan and will be getting DirecTV bundled with Verizon. I sent him the info from the DirecTV website about using my account number and the need to call the special number.

However, is there anything else he needs to know when setting up service through Verizon's bundle?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.