1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DirecTV Remote Problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by wukilla, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Oct 4, 2012 #1 of 14
    wukilla

wukilla Cool Member

Feb 20, 2009
    My remote has worked with my TV for 2 years without issue. Over the past month the remote no longer works beyond 5 feet with my TV. The TV's original remote works perfectly fine from 10 feet where my couch is. I tried calling DTV about the issue and they told me there was nothing that can be done. Does anyone have any ideas for me in getting a replacement remote from DTV?:confused:

2. Oct 4, 2012 #2 of 14
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Turn the TV off with it's remote and see if the DTV remote works the receiver with the TV off.

3. Oct 4, 2012 #3 of 14
    celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    Did you get the protection plan? i thought they would send you a new remote for free if you have a defective remote. otherwise you might have to buy a new one,check directv website,solid signal,best buy,amazon or ebay for best price.

4. Oct 4, 2012 #4 of 14
    nap81992

nap81992 New Member

Oct 9, 2011
    I suppose you have tried new batteries? 1 remote working properly and the other is not.. 2 sets of batteries? If so and you have the protection plan remotes are covered.

5. Oct 4, 2012 #5 of 14
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Usually you will get extra flashes of the green light on the end when you press a button or a message from the receiver that you batteries are getting low. I have gotten both in the past.

6. Oct 4, 2012 #6 of 14
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    As the issue is controlling the TV, it could be that the TV is just less sensitive and the diminishing batteries impact it sooner.

This may be another instance of settings on the TV changing (ie cranking up the brightness or contrast). If the DIRECTV remote doesn't have any trouble turning the TV on but can't control the volume or turn it off, this would seem to be indicated.

I suspect that the green flash/low batter message is the result of a formal message from the remote as opposed to something the receiver determines by measuring IR intensity.

7. Oct 4, 2012 #7 of 14
    linuspbmo

linuspbmo AllStar

Oct 2, 2009
    I fixed the lagging remote problem I had by changing the batteries. I tried the battery check and got a solid green when meant they were OK but when I changed them the response went back to normal.

8. Oct 4, 2012 #8 of 14
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Excellent.
    Glad that solved your problem. Thanks for the update.

9. Oct 4, 2012 #9 of 14
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    Congrats it got addressed.

Battery replacement is likely the top thing people forget about with their audio/video equipment....so don't badly. I slip in a small note with the new batteries that has the date of install on it.

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX

Time would not work for me. I wore the buttons out in less than 2 years. LOL
    I flip channels a lot and scan the Guide for things to record.
    I have had HD for a little over 3 years and wore out 2 remotes already.
    Time to go to Ebay again since I don't have any spares in the house now.

11. wukilla

wukilla Cool Member

Feb 20, 2009
    why would my remote work fine...only from 5' instead of how it used to from 10'+?

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    For most any of the reasons I and other posters listed.

An IR sensor works by expanding and contracting from the heat, yep I know it is hard to believe, but the signal that we can't see heats up the sensor and then it rapidly cools off and creates the action.
    When excess IR signals from most anything are in the room it keeps the sensor heated. When you then press the button on the remote and send a signal it may or may not heat the sensor enough to make it work. The tape keeps out the unwanted signals and allows the sensor to cool down so that it will react when you press the button on the remote.

When the batteries are weak it can do the same thing.
    Being closer to the sensor helps keep the signal from being diluted as it passes thru the air.

13. wukilla

wukilla Cool Member

Feb 20, 2009
    UPDATE: My wife worked her magic and got us a new remote. The new remote works from from my couch now without issue. So the problem was not with my T.V. like I expected and it was the remote. Thanks to all who replied.

14. swissin

swissin AllStar

May 25, 2006
    Just goto walmart and buy one.