1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DirecTv ripping off children or customers?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Davenlr, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Jun 2, 2012 #1 of 41
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    This years Auto Racing PPV Prelude to the Dream benefiting kids hunger. From the NASCAR website at http://www.nascar.com/news/120516/prelude-to-dream-feed-children/index.html :

Just went to order and DirecTv is asking $34.95. Who is pocketing the extra $10? Ill just order it on my Tivo through Comcast. I think its pathetic they try to screw customers like this.

2. Jun 2, 2012 #2 of 41
    onebadmofo

onebadmofo AllStar

May 24, 2012
    Your first problem is paying anything for NASCAR! Just kidding...not a fan but it's the same thing for UFC FIGHTS. I quit ordering I refuse to pay 10 bucks for the HD feed.

This isn't 2003 there's no reason to charge extra for HD....

Of course in this case, that extra 10 bucks is going into dtvs pockets I'm guessing...

3. Jun 2, 2012 #3 of 41
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Its HD only, or so they said on the HBO site. So you are thinking DirecTv is downrezzing the feed to SD for the $24.95, then charging us $10 more for the orginal? Still scummy. Im gonna check and see how much it is on Comcast and Dish, just to compare. I love the way these providers (excluding Comcast) want to charge extra for HD, then charges extra for the HD pack, and extra for the HD events. Should be covered by the monthly HD charge.

Dish wont show me prices, since Im not a customer. Any customers want to check at http://www.dish.com/entertainment/pay-per-view/#events and see what the charge is there for the HD feed?

4. Jun 2, 2012 #4 of 41
    sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Keyword - suggested retail price

5. Jun 2, 2012 #5 of 41
    sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
  6. Jun 2, 2012 #6 of 41
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    OK, thanks. Then they ARE double charging for HD. Guess Ill be watching this one on Comcast, unless they try the same crap...which means I wont be watching it at all.

7. Jun 2, 2012 #7 of 41
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears DBSTalk Club

Mar 18, 2008
    24.95*2 = 49.90

HD is about 29% and you're assuming that the content provider doesn't charge more of a premium for the HD version as well.

8. Jun 2, 2012 #8 of 41
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Im assuming that since HBO claims the feed is in HD on their site. As far as charging double, I was referring to the $10 monthly HD charge, and then charging another $10 to see this in HD. That is fine, they can charge what they want. I was online to order the event in advance. Now I wont be ordering it at all. We both lose.

9. Jun 2, 2012 #9 of 41
    sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    What do you mean double charging? Last I checked, all PPV events cost $10 more. NASCAR is saying charge $25 for SD, MSPs are adding the $10 for HD.

Just checked and UVerse is the same.

10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Cool, then like the first respondent commented, when they enter the 21st century and quit charging extra for HD, I'll start ordering. This event will be filed under the "maybe next year" category.

BTW, for comparison, I just spent 3 days, watched 6 live concerts (Staind, Third Eye Blind, Lynerd Skynrd, and three others) as well as a 45 minute live fireworks show, for $20. And stereo was included free ;)

11. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    The infrastructure needed to deliver HD isn't free.

12. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I paid for its development for years when they were charging $10 for 7 channels. Thanks, but weak.

13. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Just order the SD feed for $24.95 on ch. 124

14. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
  15. fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009
    Why do you wish this? Nothing more practical to wish for? When people write negative things about Direct TV does it somehow hurt your person? But, you really don't care so why am I even posting this. :grin:

16. rmmccann

rmmccann AllStar

Apr 16, 2012
    ND, USA
    I have nothing to add to the reasons why, but I do have to find it kind of funny that someone who is paying money to two different providers for TV service is going to complain about $10. Cancel your Comcast and you'd come out ahead, even paying $10 more for an "HD" broadcast.

For the record, DirecTV isn't the only provider charging "extra" for HD. My local cable company will feed the locals in HD, but if you want any of the other "extended cable" channels, you need to subscribe to their Digital Cable service for an additional $40/mo + $8/mo receiver lease ($16/mo for a DVR). It may not be a dedicated HD fee line item on your bill, but you're paying for it somewhere.

17. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Actually not true. If you add in the internet savings, the savings from not having to pay DirecTv for the HD Extra Pak, and Sports pak channels (FSMW, FSS, FSSW,CSS) included in my Comcast package, and the fact I am on a 1 year introductory price, it would actually cost me MORE to drop Comcast.

To be fair, I am probably going to drop DirecTv next year, since Comcast here has many more HD channels I watch, and I doubt DirecTv will add them, and they are no longer offering the Free HD at DirecTv. Not in any hurry tho, have until January 2013.

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    It's just greedy practice to milk money from a customers multiple ways, hidden or open.
    And sometimes just plain cheating innocent technically unaware ppl who don't know about SD and HD feeds, etc.

Tell me what is procure the additional $10 for HD vs SD when you using same feed, same equipment, same delivery infrastructure starting from field cameras and ending your STB while original feed is in HD ?

19. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears DBSTalk Club

Mar 18, 2008
    Companies are going to charge more for HD for awhile due to the costs associated with the infrastructure. In order to stay relevant people demand more HD content, especially in sports, which requires all of the companies to spend more money to get this setup.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=205621 We're already talking about upgrade costs here just for encoders and the more profitable a service is the more it is invested in.

Some day in a few years we may start to see pricing with built in HD charges but I wouldn't expect bills to go down people just won't see a separate charge.

To your point though I'm still surprised they offer SD and HD ordering options. I guess the people with SD though should be happy because if they ever chose to just make one version you can bet that it won't be the SD price.

20. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    some cable systems with HD channels still don't have the PPV HD channel.