1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DirecTV SAT-GO: Discussion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Earl Bonovich, Apr 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 1, 2007 #1 of 72
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
  2. Apr 2, 2007 #2 of 72
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    As always, awesome review!

This had a huge cool factor at CES. The whole room full of press and wall street analysts liked it immediately.

Cheers,
    Tom

3. Apr 2, 2007 #3 of 72
    naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    What is the model number of the SAT-GO

4. Apr 2, 2007 #4 of 72
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    From what I have been told: Z11

5. Apr 2, 2007 #5 of 72
    pman_jim

pman_jim Legend

Jan 24, 2007
    Very nice!! I think its time to start putting some cash away.. Nothing like a day of fishing knowing that when I get a little worn out I can just plop my butt down and watch a little TV while waiting for the fish to get hungry again!

6. Apr 2, 2007 #6 of 72
    brewer4

brewer4 DBSTalk Club Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Any rough idea of cost and availablily?

Will they allow any roaming or national locals or only the locals assigned to your home account?

This thing is a wow. Nice review

7. Apr 2, 2007 #7 of 72
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Early May is the timeframe, I have heard... I have not heard a cost on the unit though.

I didn't ask if you would have access to DNS locals, but the picture I showed in the review. Was from my local Chicago locals (so if you are still in the spotbeam range, you would at least get YOUR locals)

8. Apr 2, 2007 #8 of 72
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    As usual, another excellent review from the Earlovich. Thanks a bunch!!!

9. Apr 2, 2007 #9 of 72
    mike_augie

mike_augie You call I haul..

Oct 10, 2006
    would love to be a beta for this...lol....anyway cant wait until it is ready to roll...may time frame so it will lbe around august anway just more time to save money and be nice to the wife....great job earl...

10. ITrot

ITrot Godfather

Aug 14, 2006
    "I" "wonder" "how" "many" "times" "quotes" "can" "be" "used" "in" "a" "single" "post""?"

:D :lol:

Just kidding, "really"... good review

11. hambonewd

hambonewd Legend

Feb 7, 2007
    so this has a d11 receiver but you can hook up a hr20 if you want to?

12. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes... The LCD/TV will accept an EXTERNAL input on it.

However, the included dish will only see the 101

13. hambonewd

hambonewd Legend

Feb 7, 2007
    i see

14. wakajawaka

wakajawaka Godfather

Sep 27, 2006
    1 hour battery life seems a bit short. Most portable DVD players can get at least 2 hours, enough for a typical movie. As cool as this is, I'm really trying to see a "need" for this, but I don't think I can sell my wife on it.

15. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Agreed. The 26 pounds is very hefty as well. :nono2:

Great concept but I will wait a year or two before I consider it

16. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Most portable DVD Players are also not powering a 17" LCD...
    And a SAT Receiver/Dish assembly

It is a little short, but they are going to have replacement batteries.

For "camping" trips... that you are going to bring this, then a small portable generator maybe a good idea.

For the "tailgater"... The car battery should be good (provided you remember to recharge the car battery for a few minutes)

17. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Can I hope for an HD version? :)

Cheers,
    Tom

18. wytmike

wytmike Cool Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Isn't this almost obsolete before it is out? Not being able to receive locals let alone mpeg-4 channels would be a big downside to this unit. I know the shut down of the mpeg-2 system is a ways off, but why would someone pay $1000 for something that you know does not access a large portion of the services offered by DTV?

I would think tailgates would be a major target for this unit and not having access to locals and network coverage would be a big turnoff.

Are there any plans to allow reception of locals?

Mike

19. MikeR7

MikeR7 Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    Mike - Earl said that he got his locals on the unit. If your locals are on 101 you would get them.

20. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    MPEG-2 SD reception elimination is so far off... you would be lucky if ANY of the equipment we have today is still functioning by then... You are looking at probalby 10 years IMHO, before SD-MPEG-2 is converted.

While I understand the desire for HD... I don't think that is really a big thing while you are in the "woods"... or even at a "personal" tailgate. It would be cool but...

Also the battery life... 1 hour, for this unit... would be probably about 20 minutes for an HD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.